Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Hellraiser Puzzle Box (1 BD, 2 DVDs) ---------> April 21, 2009

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-09, 04:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Hellraiser' fans, Anchor Bay is planning to double your pain: the studio has announced not one but two Blu-ray configurations of the Clive Barker horror classic.

As previously announced, Anchor Bay alerted retailers to an April 21 Blu-ray street date for the seminal cult hit, but kept any further details under wraps.
ADVERTISEMENT

Now further confirmed press details have been unleashed, with the company unveiling not one, but two Blu-ray versions of 'Hellraiser.'

The first will be a stand-alone Blu-ray release, billed as a special edition and containing extras that are expected to match the previous "20th Anniversary Edition" Anchor Bay released on DVD.

Also due for high-def on April 21 is the 'Hellraiser Puzzle Box,' a three-disc edition that includes the stand-alone Blu-ray (with identical specs), plus standard DVD versions of 'Hellraiser: 20th Anniversary Edition' and the 1987 sequel 'Hellbound: Hellraiser II.'

Though no additional Blu-ray content or other exclusives are planned for the 'Puzzle Box,' and final tech and supplements have yet to be finalized. We'll keep you posted.

Suggested list price for the stand-alone Blu-ray of 'Hellraiser' is $34.95, and $59.95 for the 'Hellraiser Puzzle Box.'
Old 02-05-09, 04:03 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Hellraiser Puzzle Box (1 BD, 2 DVDs) ---------> April 21, 2009

That's...odd. So we get Hellraiser 1 in Blu, Hellraiser 1 in DVD and Hellraiser II DVD. Probably a pass for me.
Old 02-05-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll just get the regular Hellraiser Blu-Ray. I don't know why they didn't just do a set of DVD's for 1 & 2 and a Blu-Ray set. The way things are going with Anchor Bay we will probably never see part 2 on Blu-Ray.
Old 02-05-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll get this set.
Old 02-05-09, 09:49 PM

So Blu-ray and DVD are in the Box?
Old 02-05-09, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by mmyersisgod
So Blu-ray and DVD are in the Box?
Was it really that hard to understand?
Old 02-05-09, 10:30 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Normally, I'd pre-order a title like Hellraiser. But since it's Anchor Bay, I'll wait and pick it up a week after release for $12.
Old 02-05-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Think I'm going to hold out for the upcoming Super Duper Deluxe Edition including the original Coil soundtrack on 8-track tape.
Old 02-05-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why could they not just release this in a regular blu-ray case? All these space hogging SEs are starting to get on my nerves.
Old 02-05-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

They are releasing the first movie in a regular case. Oddly enough, they have a Blu-Ray/dvd set for Heathers on Amazon that I didn't even know they released. I hope they don't keep this up.
Old 02-05-09, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
They are releasing the first movie in a regular case. Oddly enough, they have a Blu-Ray/dvd set for Heathers on Amazon that I didn't even know they released. I hope they don't keep this up.
What difference does it make? It doesn't seem to impact the price in any signficant way -- Anchor Bay Blus are usually less than $20. Personally, I like that I get the standard DVD with it because while I have BD, my friends often don't and so if I want to take the movie over somewhere else I gotta have it in SD. I prefer it to digital copies anyway.
Old 02-06-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
What difference does it make? It doesn't seem to impact the price in any signficant way -- Anchor Bay Blus are usually less than $20. Personally, I like that I get the standard DVD with it because while I have BD, my friends often don't and so if I want to take the movie over somewhere else I gotta have it in SD. I prefer it to digital copies anyway.
The Heathers set is $41 on Amazon. The Hellraiser cube is fairly expensive as well for one HD movie. That's the different it makes.
Old 02-06-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Yeah, I don't understand this set. Maybe if it was just the original in Blu-ray and DVD. Or maybe Hellraiser II is a Blu-ray instead of a DVD. Why would I buy the first Hellraiser on Blu-ray but settle for the DVD of the sequel? I'll pass on the set.
Old 02-06-09, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Like I mentioned in the other Hellraiser thread, this is retarded.

I'll get the stand-alone first flick.
Old 02-06-09, 04:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The Heathers set is $41 on Amazon. The Hellraiser cube is fairly expensive as well for one HD movie. That's the different it makes.
The Heathers set also comes with a stainless steel locker, a T-shirt, the standard DVD, and a bunch of other crap. The Halloween set was also $50, and that comes with five SD-DVDs, the Blu, and the collectible packaging. The Hellraiser set comes with the spiffy packaging and two $10 DVDs on top of the BD. Maybe I'm crazy, but these prices all seem to me like exactly what I'd expect to pay without the BD.

And, in case you didn't notice, the BD IS available separately of the cube.
Old 02-06-09, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yea, they come with a ton of crap to jack up prices. Nothing new.

I bought all of the Anchor Bay limited edition dvd tins when they were first released. They abandoned collectors after a few releases. They were at least good sets at the time though. The current crop of expensive releases are sub-par and it looks like the dvd content is thrown in to raise prices. Fool me once, but not twice.

Now if they had a HD Hellraiser 2 as a bonus in the set it would be worth it, as it was a bonus in the original dvd tin. You can buy the whole series on dvd for less than $60.
Old 02-06-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Yeah, I don't understand this set. Maybe if it was just the original in Blu-ray and DVD. Or maybe Hellraiser II is a Blu-ray instead of a DVD. Why would I buy the first Hellraiser on Blu-ray but settle for the DVD of the sequel? I'll pass on the set.
Yeah, I'm with ya on this one. I've already got Hellraiser I & II (and III) on DVD. I don't need another one. I might get the stand alone of the first movie, but more than likely I'll wait for the second one to be released on Blu-ray and see if they put out a neato set like this as well.
Old 02-06-09, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yea, they come with a ton of crap to jack up prices. Nothing new.

I bought all of the Anchor Bay limited edition dvd tins when they were first released. They abandoned collectors after a few releases. They were at least good sets at the time though. The current crop of expensive releases are sub-par and it looks like the dvd content is thrown in to raise prices. Fool me once, but not twice.

Now if they had a HD Hellraiser 2 as a bonus in the set it would be worth it, as it was a bonus in the original dvd tin. You can buy the whole series on dvd for less than $60.
Again, I don't understand. The prices for these sets are exactly what I would expect to reasonably pay for an SD-DVD set of all of the listed movies, i.e. Hellraiser for $40, Halloween for $50, Heathers for $40, etc. For me, I don't see how the Blu-Ray isn't just an added bonus, and a free one at that. In addition, if you don't want to pay the "jacked up" price for any of these special box sets, the discs are all available separately of the sets, both the Blu-Ray and the SD-DVDs. That seems like enough options to please anyone -- what exactly is complaint worthy about this? Hellraiser II is not yet on BD, and may not be coming for whatever reason. AB doesn't own the rights to Hellraiser III. This set contains all the content they own the rights to. So...what gives? What set would make you happy?
Old 02-06-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
What set would make you happy?
Hellraiser 1 & 2 on Blu-Ray and a set with just the SD-DVDs. The Box Set is $53 on Amazon, it does jack up the price.
Old 02-06-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cerial442
Hellraiser 1 & 2 on Blu-Ray and a set with just the SD-DVDs. The Box Set is $53 on Amazon, it does jack up the price.
Thank you. This is exactly what I would prefer. Didn't AB already release a puzzle box dvd set anyway a few years back?
Old 02-06-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by cerial442
Me too.
Old 02-06-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Me four.
I'll rent it, and hold out for the famous inevitable AB Double Dip.

p.s. - I'd bet money AB goes back to the well and releases the extended TV cut of Halloween on BR within a year.
Old 02-06-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by clappj
Me four.
I'll rent it, and hold out for the famous inevitable AB Double Dip.

p.s. - I'd bet money AB goes back to the well and releases the extended TV cut of Halloween on BR within a year.
As I mentioned in the Hellraiser thread in the DVD forum, I am pretty sure Anchor Bay is losing the rights to all of their Halloween, Hellraiser and Evil Dead films. Thusly, the Evil Dead "Ultimate Edition", the Halloween 30th Anniversary Set and this Lamentation Cube are the "last gasp" editions for AB to get a little bit of money out of what have been their flagship titles.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Hellraiser price drops before the box comes out. I also wouldn't be surprised if there is no superior box set from AB in the future.
Old 02-06-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pass. Why would I want the SD version of a film if the set includes the BD? Pathetic, as usual.