Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wizard of Oz & Gone With the Wind CE's ----> Q4, 2009

I'll be getting both. Sucker for CE's.
Old 03-13-09, 03:55 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush
I'll be getting both. Sucker for CE's.
I'd pay up to $35...maybe $40 for WoZ. Maybe. But no way will I pay $60. Warner has got to be shitting themselves if they think this is a good idea in this economy.
Old 03-13-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'd pay up to $35...maybe $40 for WoZ. Maybe. But no way will I pay $60. Warner has got to be shitting themselves if they think this is a good idea in this economy.
Well, I might not get it right away. Deals will surely pop up. But yea, don't like the price at all.
Old 03-13-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

I was interested in both of these titles just as I was Casablanca, but I will not go more than $30. WB is just pricing themselves out of sales here. Same goes for the Notebook - I would have bought it for $20 but I don't want all the crap it comes with or a non-standard BD case, and I hate printing my own art - I want the real thing.

I guess it will be rentals.
Old 03-13-09, 05:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/549...er-2009-a.html
Old 03-13-09, 05:50 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

Link with incredibly and ridiculous high prices:

http://www.amazon.com/Wind-Anniversa.../dp/B0013N7FZ6

http://www.amazon.com/Wizard-Anniver...u-wl_list-recs
Old 03-13-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

Wow. They can sit on them at those prices. I'll wait.

Also, not a fan of non-standard packaging. That silliness should have ended with DVD.
Old 03-13-09, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

I just placed a placeholder order for both at Amazon.com, but I'm not pleased with the prices. Let's hope that they do come down in price before they ship.
Old 03-13-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

To stick two revered films like this exclusively into expensive collector's sets is ridiculous and is obviously going to hurt sales. Undoubtedly, Warner will later dumbly mention that the market just isn't there for classics on Blu...
Old 03-13-09, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Sparrow
I just placed a placeholder order for both at Amazon.com, but I'm not pleased with the prices. Let's hope that they do come down in price before they ship.
You're not really helping by pre-ordering them at the current price.
Old 03-14-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
To stick two revered films like this exclusively into expensive collector's sets is ridiculous and is obviously going to hurt sales. Undoubtedly, Warner will later dumbly mention that the market just isn't there for classics on Blu...
I agree. Pricing these closer to normal releases would actually, I think, convince more people to even go Blu that may not have considered it otherwise. This is ridiculous.
Old 03-14-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Wow....#6 and #11 on Amazon Blu-ray list already.
Old 03-14-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Wow....#6 and #11 on Amazon Blu-ray list already.
And they talk about this bad economy we're having.
Old 03-16-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm interested in GWTW, but *only* if I can get a version in more normal sized packaging (like Blade Runner); if the only option is some giant sized thing with a bunch of fake lobbycards and other items I don't want, then I'll wait.
Old 03-16-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Until the price comes down to standard levels, these will be Netflix rentals only for me (and, fortunately, Netflix does seem to carry new releases of previously-released catalog titles whenever they come out on blu-ray ... fingers-crossed that this continues).
Old 03-16-09, 02:12 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
And they talk about this bad economy we're having.

well they ARE pre-orders.
Old 03-16-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
That's just it-there isn't a good market for classics in general and especially on the HD media. If you are a studio you make an end run around this by targeting only the hardcore fans and people whose interest is piqued by fancy 'deluxe' sets. Then by loading up the package with cheap-to-produce paper and plastic material, you can jack the msrp up 3 x's.
Had these been released in regular no frills cases, they would have had to sell 3xs as many as the would with the deluxe versions...in a climate where a lot of households are or may come to curtail casual purchases.
To me this doesn't speak to Warners greed and lack of business acumen, as it does to the sad realities of the Bd market.
If they felt certain they could generate the same revenue from these by volume(and loer msrp) as they will by high msrp(and lower volume) I'm pretty sure they would have.
This isn't anything unexpected to people who have been following this stuff for a while. Catalog sales (on Bd especially) are woeful and classics sales as bad or worse.
Old 03-16-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Cosmic Bus is correct, though, that (at least at this relatively early stage of the game) it's a little chicken or egg. I know a lot of people (myself and many others on this site included) who are staying away from these releases because of the asking price and I'm willing to bet some people will stay away from Blu-ray in general because of it, too. Any fans of the classics who are on the fence about buying into Blu-ray aren't likely to say "Only $90 a title? Sign me up!"

It may be a somewhat viable short-term strategy to bring in some revenue from your existing base, but it's probably not a plausible way to grow a business.

Last edited by Doctorossi; 03-16-09 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-16-09, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

I would have bought Casablanca in a heartbeat if it came in a regular edition without the lobby cards and all of the other stuff along with the above two titles.

I don't like this trend with WB in releasing movies on Blu-ray with their "Ultimate Edition" package and charging us $20 to $30 more especially for these classics.
Old 03-16-09, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lorenzol
i would have bought casablanca in a heartbeat if it came in a regular edition without the lobby cards and all of the other stuff along with the above two titles.
+1.
Old 03-16-09, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,093 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
That's just it-there isn't a good market for classics in general and especially on the HD media. If you are a studio you make an end run around this by targeting only the hardcore fans and people whose interest is piqued by fancy 'deluxe' sets. Then by loading up the package with cheap-to-produce paper and plastic material, you can jack the msrp up 3 x's.
Had these been released in regular no frills cases, they would have had to sell 3xs as many as the would with the deluxe versions...in a climate where a lot of households are or may come to curtail casual purchases.
To me this doesn't speak to Warners greed and lack of business acumen, as it does to the sad realities of the Bd market.
If they felt certain they could generate the same revenue from these by volume(and loer msrp) as they will by high msrp(and lower volume) I'm pretty sure they would have.
This isn't anything unexpected to people who have been following this stuff for a while. Catalog sales (on Bd especially) are woeful and classics sales as bad or worse.
I think there's truth in this. Warner already released Casablanca on HD DVD (and gave away a lot in those offers), and apparently they chose a different strategy for BD (I know the markets are different, etc. etc.). Didn't George Feltenstein in the HighDefDigest interview say that Quo Vadis, An American in Paris, and Gigi (all standard-case releases) are going to be canaries in the mining tunnel for Warner?
Old 03-17-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rental for me. Maybe get it on eBay for cheap.
Old 03-17-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Casablanca set, and it is one of my favorites. I like the various movie collectibles, and I'm really looking forward to these releases. I wouldn't want them for every release, but these movies they realy seem like a good idea.

But, it does make sense that there should be an option to get a bare bones edition as well.
Old 03-17-09, 09:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I think there's truth in this. Warner already released Casablanca on HD DVD (and gave away a lot in those offers), and apparently they chose a different strategy for BD (I know the markets are different, etc. etc.). Didn't George Feltenstein in the HighDefDigest interview say that Quo Vadis, An American in Paris, and Gigi (all standard-case releases) are going to be "canaries in the mining tunnel" for Warner?

what the hell does that mean?
Old 03-17-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
what the hell does that mean?
If they don't sell, Warner will likely scale back their release strategy for classic titles.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.