Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Wizard of Oz

I'm getting it, but damn. I already blew more than that on the Ultimate Oz laserdisc back in the day, then they put nearly all the material on DVD for less than $20, which I bought again, and again and again. It's really unfair to be exploited with a movie that they know I have to buy each upgrade. And, no, I can't just not buy it. It's the freaking Wizard of Oz. Probably the only movie I would ever spend the hundreds of dollars I've already spent on it, and will continue to. Oh well.
Old 06-10-09, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

But, you guys don't understand that MSRP is meaningless. After all, it's only $58.99 on Amazon!

Not only would I want a standard version, but I even wouldn't mind one with less extras for a cheaper price (like they did with the Matrix films). A commentary and documentary are nice, but I really don't need the silent films and a TV movie about L. Frank Baum. The last DVD release handled this well, with a cheaper (but still loaded) 2-disc set, and a 3-disc set available for those who wanted everything.
Old 06-10-09, 05:33 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

It'll be interesting if the 2 other versions of Oz included are also in high-def or if they will be presented in 480p. Getting 3 movies for $50+ will make the price easier to swallow.
Old 06-10-09, 06:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/549...er-2009-a.html

discussed since February
Old 06-10-09, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was excited about Wizard of Oz on Blu-ray until I saw that they were releasing a huge box set for it, making the price huge as well. But seeing the extras with this, my excitement is a little higher. I already had the DVD when they released the deluxe set, but I wanted it for the additional short films. I had heard about them before and jumped on the chance to get them. I was wondering if they were going to copy over those to the blu-ray release. Looks like it, plus more of them. They were probably the only special features I watched (other than the deleted scenes, but I can't remember if they were on my first DVD or not). I doubt they're in HD, though. Even though they may have been shot on film, the ones that were on the DVD were really rough. I also want to see the Dreamer of Oz made-for-TV movie. My wife told me about it one time and it sounded interesting (she called it the L. Frank Baum story, but I think she may have just been wrong about the title of it because clips of it on YouTube looks like what she was talking about). The price point is a little icky, though, but maybe I can find someone willing to give it as a Christmas gift (though I'll also probably be asking for Lost S5 at the same time as well as looking at the Gone with the Wind Blu-ray release that seems to be along the same lines as this, though Wizard of Oz is a higher priority for me). Now the ultimate feature, for me, would be to include Return to Oz, as I would like to have that as well, but since it is a Disney film, that's unlikely, and I doubt Disney will ever want to spend the money to give us a high quality release of it.

Last edited by obidawsn; 06-10-09 at 06:34 AM.
Old 06-10-09, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by dx23
I was thinking the same thing, but I think it would be nice for each film to get their own separate thread. Now that there's an official announcement, I think it's a good of time as any for that to happen.
Old 06-10-09, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
Great news, but ugh, I hate WB's "Ultimate Collector's Editions". It's not like Blu-Ray owners don't get gouged enough on prices, but they have to drive the knife in a little deeper by forcing super-duper collectible boxes on us. Just give me a regular edition.
Consumers who'll purchase Collectible Editions Blu-rays is only by personal preference. Manufacturers are not coercing the consumers to buy them, which is the reason why the regular edition will also be released.
Old 06-10-09, 07:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by obidawsn
I was thinking the same thing, but I think it would be nice for each film to get their own separate thread. Now that there's an official announcement, I think it's a good of time as any for that to happen.
They were separate at first but the mods here decided to merge them together.
Old 06-10-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slimdude
Consumers who'll purchase Collectible Editions Blu-rays is only by personal preference. Manufacturers are not coercing the consumers to buy them, which is the reason why the regular edition will also be released.
While yes, techinically manufacturers aren't forcing people to but the fancy collectible editions, in reality when it comes to movies like Casablanca that's been out for 7 months with no stand alone version in sight, if you want it on BR, then yes, they are forcing you to buy all of the other crap as well. While I love all three of these movies, Warners can go screw themselves, I'm not paying that much money for all of that other junk that I don't care about. I'll either wait for the standalone versions or until a REALLY good price hits.
Old 06-10-09, 09:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

even though "theatrical rereleasing" is a thing of the past, I wish Warner's would release these on the big screen (prior to the bluray releases) in actual 4K resolution and projected as such at theatre's with Sony 4K Digital Projectors.
Old 06-10-09, 11:27 AM

Re: Wizard of Oz / Gone with the Wind coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 2009

I agree Joe and kevin. If we want the movie on Blu-ray, then we are being forced to buy the collector's set. Granted, we can decide to wait and hope that they will come out with a regular edition, but who knows how long that will be...if ever? They're putting these out there without a regular edition to get a little extra money from us knowing people will buy it because they want the movie when it comes out. My wife had to watch Casablanca for a project in one of her classes, and even though we have the DVD, I really wanted to see it on blu-ray, so we came close to spending the $41 that Amazon wanted because you can't get a regular version of it. We eventually kept putting it off until it was too late to get it in time, so we watched the DVD instead (luckily we did, as I then bought the HD DVD cheap and got in on the Red2Blu program, if it ever comes in).

Originally Posted by dx23
They were separate at first but the mods here decided to merge them together.
But why merge them? Just because they are from the same studio? I only kind of understand it since they were both general rumors about WB releases that came out about the same time. But this is an official announcement, thus not making it a rumor, anymore. There should be separate threads for each title as the official announcements come in. Because even though I may be interested in both movies, someone else may not be, so why should they have to read through a bunch of posts about Gone with the Wind when they want to read about Wizard of Oz? I'm not trying to argue, just bringing up a valid point.

Originally Posted by Giles
even though "theatrical rereleasing" is a thing of the past, I wish Warner's would release these on the big screen (prior to the bluray releases) in actual 4K resolution and projected as such at theatre's with Sony 4K Digital Projectors.
I remember seeing Gone with the Wind when it was re-released in 1998. It was nice to see it on the big screen. I missed out on the re-release of The Wizard of Oz, though . A girl I worked with wanted to go, so we were making plans to go and they never worked out. I would have loved to see that on the big screen. As for a digital projection of it, I doubt that will ever happen (at least for a long time), since digital theaters are very limited and can barely schedule all the 3D releases. I was pretty upset when I wanted to see Star Trek on a digital screen and they didn't have any matinees of it because they had Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D during the matinee times. I hate paying full price for a movie, so I gave in to the non-digital version. (Though before I walked into the theater my mom called me because a tornado had just went by where they live. So I got rainchecks so I could get home where they were babysitting our son and they could go check on their house. Luckily everything was OK with their house and I got to use the rainchecks for an evening showing of the digital screening.)
Old 06-10-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There IS NO "regular edition" being released....Warner has you by the short hairs: either buy the overpriced & oversized super deluxe box with extra junk a lot of people don't want or no high def Oz for you....

Look, I'd be willing to pay $30 for a nice 2-disc Blu-ray of Oz (in a regular size double disc Blu case) to make the wife happy....but there is no way I am paying double that for some giant packaging and extraneous useless bullshit! Warner is basically just walking away from what I am sure would be PILES of cash by only offering one overpriced option that I am willing to bet a lot of people will not purchase for the same reasons I have stated....

What's even crazier is that they are giving an option for standard DVD purchasers....way to try and push the new format there!
Old 06-10-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

Another poor marketing decision by Warner, which is starting to become the norm rather than the exception lately....very sad.
Old 06-10-09, 12:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree Joe and kevin. If we want the movie on Blu-ray, then we are being forced to buy the collector's set. Granted, we can decide to wait and hope that they will come out with a regular edition, but who knows how long that will be...if ever? They're putting these out there without a regular edition to get a little extra money from us knowing people will buy it because they want the movie when it comes out. My wife had to watch Casablanca for a project in one of her classes, and even though we have the DVD, I really wanted to see it on blu-ray, so we came close to spending the $41 that Amazon wanted because you can't get a regular version of it. We eventually kept putting it off until it was too late to get it in time, so we watched the DVD instead (luckily we did, as I then bought the HD DVD cheap and got in on the Red2Blu program, if it ever comes in).

But why merge them? Just because they are from the same studio? I only kind of understand it since they were both general rumors about WB releases that came out about the same time. But this is an official announcement, thus not making it a rumor, anymore. There should be separate threads for each title as the official announcements come in. Because even though I may be interested in both movies, someone else may not be, so why should they have to read through a bunch of posts about Gone with the Wind when they want to read about Wizard of Oz? I'm not trying to argue, just bringing up a valid point.

I remember seeing Gone with the Wind when it was re-released in 1998. It was nice to see it on the big screen. I missed out on the re-release of The Wizard of Oz, though . A girl I worked with wanted to go, so we were making plans to go and they never worked out. I would have loved to see that on the big screen. As for a digital projection of it, I doubt that will ever happen (at least for a long time), since digital theaters are very limited and can barely schedule all the 3D releases. I was pretty upset when I wanted to see Star Trek on a digital screen and they didn't have any matinees of it because they had Monsters vs. Aliens in 3D during the matinee times. I hate paying full price for a movie, so I gave in to the non-digital version. (Though before I walked into the theater my mom called me because a tornado had just went by where they live. So I got rainchecks so I could get home where they were babysitting our son and they could go check on their house. Luckily everything was OK with their house and I got to use the rainchecks for an evening showing of the digital screening.)
phew! that'd rattle me, glad they were okay.

As for the planned digital conversion, both AMC and Regal have just announced and committed to the implementation of Sony 4K digital projectors throughout their entire chains and theatres nationally - alternate programming is key [i.e, Fathom events, Sony's Big Ticket] releasing all these 4K video transfers to a one-night event would be a more than ideal way for moviegoers to experience these films on the big screen. Warner's showed 'Blade Runner' in 4K at the Landmark (LA), Sony's presented the 4K restoration of 'Dr. Strangelove' also at the Landmark, why can't Warner's make such presentations more readily to theatres like the Landmark that have 4K DP systems. [would I want to buy the film on bluray?, yeah. Would I want to see the 4K restoration on a huge 50 foot screen? - hell, yeah]

Last edited by Giles; 06-10-09 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Let's face it. Warner Bros. just doesn't want to make any money on this Blu-ray release. That's clearly the case, as most of us won't buy it at such a ridiculous price.

Last edited by GenPion; 06-10-09 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think if catalog titles were selling really well, we'd have a standalone movie-only option. But since they're not, they're going to try and get as much as they can from those who will buy this regardless of price.
Old 06-10-09, 12:54 PM
Banned

I agree, but this was a mod decision.
Old 06-10-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I think if catalog titles were selling really well, we'd have a standalone movie-only option. But since they're not, they're going to try and get as much as they can from those who will buy this regardless of price.
No doubt. Unfortunately, they don't seem to realize that this is exactly the kind of title that needs a semi-affordable release for people to see this in stores and decide "I guess it's time I buy a Blu-ray player!". This is the kind of movie that will help sell the format to a wider variety of consumers.
Old 06-10-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
If catalog titles were priced better, wouldn't they also sell better? I mean, I went into Best Buy yesterday and you've got Gran Torino and The International selling for $25.99, then you've got a minor catalog title with no promotion or fanfare like Predator 2 marked at $29.99, and then you've got a major catalog release like Woodstock marked at $49.99. Forget "Joe 6-Pack", even HD enthusiasts have a hard time plonking down that much money.
Old 06-10-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Joe Molotov
If catalog titles were priced better, wouldn't they also sell better?
BINGO! We have a winner folks.....

Look at recent catalog reissues for Terminator 2 (which is actually a Blu double dip!) and Ghostbusters....these are available for $14.99 and have been in the top sellers at Amazon, not to mention reports of empty store shelves at BB for T2 on release day, even when that one was at $19.99....
What about A Bug's Life? Many people passed on it at $27.99, but then went racing to their local Toys R Us when they quietly put it on sale for only $19.99....
Catalog prices should be $20 maximum to entice consumers to upgrade if it is a straight port/carry over from the previous SE DVD....they could maybe justify a little more like $25 if they made an all new SE with a bunch of new features....I'm sorry, even though the new Oz Blu probably will look better than the previous DVD I have, it doesn't look $60 better!
Old 06-11-09, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bah, first Casablanca, then Woodstock, and now these. WB are really starting to irk me by forcing us to shell out cash in a recession for these overpriced, trinket-laden sets. It's a really tacky way to operate, from a studio who had been among the classiest in the business.
Old 06-11-09, 12:15 AM

I would love to just get an edition with all bonus features but without the book and the watch and those so called "collectibles".

Seeing as I have a $20 rewardzone card and a $20 giftcard though, I think I will justify my purchase from Bestbuy on this release.
Old 06-11-09, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As much as it pains me, I won't be picking up either of these (nor Casablanca) on Blu until they are released in regular editions - or if the price comes down drastically (even then, I'm not crazy about getting a big box of crap)
Old 06-12-09, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JackBurton
As much as it pains me, I won't be picking up either of these (nor Casablanca) on Blu until they are released in regular editions - or if the price comes down drastically (even then, I'm not crazy about getting a big box of crap)
Ditto. What a disappointment. I'm not the kind of person who cares about steelbook or figurines. I want a good looking movie in a regular box at a $15 or lower price. I realize Oz could command a little more, but I'm just not going to be a consumer of $50+ no matter how much I like it.
Old 06-12-09, 09:04 AM

Re: Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary Edition coming to Blu-ray in the 4th quarter of 200

Ditto

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
No - I don't care about postcards, keychains, mini Ruby slippers etc. Just give me the movie in a BD case or DigiBook and I'll be happy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.