Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray Picture Question

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-Ray Picture Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blu-Ray Picture Question

I just got the Phillips 42PFL3603D/F7 and decided to get a ps3 for the Blu-ray feature which i have hooked up to an HDMI cable.... but the picture doesnt look as good as it did in the store...

at first i thought it was the movie ... but i was at best buy and they had a demo of "Cars" and i have that movie but the picture im getting isnt as good as it is in the store....

Any suggestions?

*EDIT* if i am in the wrong section let me know ...

Last edited by lovgun7; 01-20-09 at 02:57 AM.
Old 01-20-09, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blu-Ray Picture Question

First, make sure the PS3 is set to output a 1080p picture. Then be more specific about what you feel is lacking in the picture. Maybe go to AVSForum.com or TweakTV.com and look for information about your specific model of TV and try some of the picture settings that other users have found to be pleasing.
Old 01-20-09, 05:49 AM

well when i went into best buy they had a demo of Tranformers ... and i thought i was watching a documentary or a making of feature until i noticed that it was the movie itself... the movie was very detailed thats the only way i can explain it...same goes for Cars, during the racing scenes it looked like real cars im not sure how to correctly "term" it. and my tv isn't i guess showing off the blu rays the way it should

i checked the websites and my tv is not on they're list
Old 01-20-09, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Sounds like you were sucked in by one of those 120Hz deisplays in the showroom.....

These are a gimick which creates a "video-like" picture, far different from the film-like presentation intended by the director & cinematographer and seen in theaters.

Just make sure you are outputting at 1080p and 24fps, and be happy you don't have one of those 120Hz toys.
Old 01-20-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Sounds like you were sucked in by one of those 120Hz deisplays in the showroom.....

These are a gimick which creates a "video-like" picture, far different from the film-like presentation intended by the director & cinematographer and seen in theaters.

Just make sure you are outputting at 1080p and 24fps, and be happy you don't have one of those 120Hz toys.
+1

What you saw in the store has nothing to do with the Blu-ray format and is not how film is supposed to look. It's a feature of the TV that adds interpolated frames between the actual frames on the disc, often causing artifacts.
Old 01-20-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why would you expect a documentary to look more detailed than the movie itself?
Old 01-20-09, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Spiky
Why would you expect a documentary to look more detailed than the movie itself?
because the actors looked as if they were in the room ... lol they were almost popping out of the screen. Sort of how when you watch the news its different then watching i guess CSI....

i honestly thought that was the blu-ray format advantage ... i apologize ...
Old 01-20-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lovgun7
I just got the Phillips 42PFL3603D/F7 and decided to get a ps3 for the Blu-ray feature which i have hooked up to an HDMI cable.... but the picture doesnt look as good as it did in the store...

at first i thought it was the movie ... but i was at best buy and they had a demo of "Cars" and i have that movie but the picture im getting isnt as good as it is in the store....

Any suggestions?

*EDIT* if i am in the wrong section let me know ...
First your sound, now your picture...you seem to be having a lot of problems with your Blu-ray setup. Have you checked the instructions?
Old 01-20-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

because the actors looked as if they were in the room ... lol they were almost popping out of the screen. Sort of how when you watch the news its different then watching i guess CSI....

Don't feel bad. More and more people are thinking that it's indeed the format rather than the TV.

I don't begrudge people for liking it. Just like an English dub of a foreign-language film, as long as it's optional, to each his own.
Old 01-20-09, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Goldblum
First your sound, now your picture...you seem to be having a lot of problems with your Blu-ray setup. Have you checked the instructions?
ive never said that the sound was bad ...

so the displays/demos at best buy that show a certain picture quality are misleading ?

Last edited by lovgun7; 01-20-09 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so the displays/demos at best buy that show a certain picture quality are misleading ?
No. You haven't given us any indication that you have followed any of our suggestions. My bet is that you need to adjust some settings somewhere. Did you check your PS3's output like I suggested? Have you tried calibrating your display? Anything at all?
Old 01-20-09, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
No. You haven't given us any indication that you have followed any of our suggestions. My bet is that you need to adjust some settings somewhere. Did you check your PS3's output like I suggested? Have you tried calibrating your display? Anything at all?
yeah i did try alot of things even before posting a thread ...

In the beginning i tryed adjusting the settings to my taste.

Then i went on IGN.com and used the Blu-ray guide they have.

Since the website u suggested didn't have my tv settings i wrote down the settings they had for another 42" phillips since it had all the same options as mine did.

i checked if the ps3 is on 1080p and it was.

after i tryed all this i still didn't get the picture i thought i was suppose to get ... i think what kefrank
is true ...

Last edited by lovgun7; 01-20-09 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily say they are misleading. Some sets just exhibit this particular feature which is new, and (as pointed out), optional.

There is a certain "wow" factor to seeing this type of a display in a showroom turned up to "torch mode" playing certain BD titles. IIRC, the second Pirates Blu-ray looks almost 3D when viewed at 120Hz. A lot of people have seen this in the stores and been sold.

If you have 120Hz available on your set and you like it, great. Others who want a more filmic look and feel to their movies, will eschew this feature by either selecting a display which doesn't offer it, or turning it off in the set-up menu.
Old 01-20-09, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That sounds like over-sharpening, edge enhancement, mosquito noise. Did you see actual halos around the actors or other "popping" objects at the store?
Old 01-20-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The 120hz feature kills the "film" look for any movie. I think it's only useful during some video games, and maybe while watching sports.
Old 01-21-09, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

I would say yes, it's misleading, even if unintentionally, because many consumers (such as yourself) see that "look" in the store and assume that it's associated with Blu-ray, when in fact it's a feature of the display itself.
Old 01-21-09, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank
I would say yes, it's misleading, even if unintentionally, because many consumers (such as yourself) see that "look" in the store and assume that it's associated with Blu-ray, when in fact it's a feature of the display itself.
Well i can't say im dissapointed. when i first saw it i thought it was bad ass but then thinking about it ... do i really wanna watch all the movies like this ???