Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Dump all your dvds for blu ray?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Dump all your dvds for blu ray?

Old 12-29-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm trimming much of my SD collection for several reasons A) I've just run out of room and all those shelves stuffed with DVDs looks pretty messy. B) I've decided I no longer want to own movies I don't watch just for the sake of owning them for a collection. and C) Money. I'm laid off for the second time this year making it 5 months with no job in '08.

I buy selectively and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
Old 12-29-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I am trying to replace my titles as they are released in HD. It's become a hobby for me not to pay more than $5 per upgrade. I do a lot of looking, buying, selling in order to achieve this. I look at it as a challenge, and it's become kind of a fun diversion.

Just counting feature films, (no TV, music videos, or documentaries), I now have the following breakdown:

37 HD DVD
93 Blu-ray
251 DVD
Old 12-29-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will not being selling off my DVD collection for BD.

I never Doubled Dipped in my DVD collection, I was just happy with what I had.

I will only be buying BD for new titles or for titles I do not have yet (Dumb and Dumber, I have always wanted to pick it up on DVD but never got around to it - so I will pick up on BD in the future).

It is also nice that I can take my DVDs with me on a personal/business trip, cannot do that with BD at this time.

Too much time and money dumped in my DVDs to get rid of them. In a strange and wierd way I can tell you how much I paid for each on and where I got it.

GO BD! But, my DVDs are here to stay.
Old 12-29-08, 03:56 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
How are you guys selling your old discs off? Ebay? Forum? Trade-ins? What has worked best for you?

I havn't dumped any of my 1500 or so dvds yet. I was looking at them last night and realized it doesn't make sense to keep things that I have upgraded on Blu-Ray. Maybe it's time to get rid of many of them.
I'd like to know this too. Some titles fetch anywhere from $5-$8 on Half.com, others are in the $1 range...not worth the time. Anywhere else to dump several dozen in an easy fashion?
Old 12-29-08, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've sold off a massive amount of my collection, about half, over 400 movies in the past year & a half. It's largely due to going blu but not completely. I just hit a point when I moved, that I just had too much, & too many movies that I probably never was going to watch again.

I've become much more pickier in buying & tried really hard to stop the impulse buys. Basically any movie I owned, that I felt would likely get a Blu release, & I didn't plan on watching anytime soon, I've sold.

I'm not dumping everything though, as there really are films I like, but my SDs will suffice.
Old 12-29-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
I'm trimming much of my SD collection for several reasons A) I've just run out of room and all those shelves stuffed with DVDs looks pretty messy. B) I've decided I no longer want to own movies I don't watch just for the sake of owning them for a collection. and C) Money. I'm laid off for the second time this year making it 5 months with no job in '08.

I buy selectively and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.
I hope you find a job fast, I was laid off 4 years ago, took be 4 months to find a job. Working has been very stable since then.

My buying of DVD has changed alot since:
-Only big titles get bought NEW (Dark Knight...)
-3/4 for $20 at Blockbuster
-Birthdays
-Christmas

My old DVD habit was 6 or 7 new dvds a month, now it is only 1 (maybe 2) a month.
Old 12-29-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'd like to know this too. Some titles fetch anywhere from $5-$8 on Half.com, others are in the $1 range...not worth the time. Anywhere else to dump several dozen in an easy fashion?
I sell on half.com a lot, and trust me, the DVD market has bottomed out. A lot of titles I paid $15 - $20 for, now fetch a buck or two.

Also, there seems to be no end of brand new, factory shrink-wrapped copies available, so it's tough to compete with my (lovingly) used copies.
Old 12-29-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I think namja means Blu-ray discs are something he actually wants to collect, keep, and watch repeatedly because of the quality.
Yes. Thank you. I thought it was pretty clear the way I said I was being more selective with my purchases ...
Old 12-29-08, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm also being more selective now, as I look at the large number of unopened discs I have and titles I'll never watch again. Never got rid of any of my laserdiscs or DVD's when I double-dipped and all my DVD's will stay as they get replaced by BD's. It was never worth the hassle for the return.
Old 12-29-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I'm being selective in my upgrading as well. Not all of the titles I have on DVD warrant an upgrade for one reason or another. So far I've donated the old DVDs that I've upgraded but I'm only talking about five or so titles.
Old 12-29-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Been trading in at dvdplanet for a few yrs now.... I figure three more shipments this next yr and that will be pretty much it for my DVD's (except for LOTR EE's and SW which won't be out) Right now my collection stands at about 175 BD's and 100 DVD's (after my next trade in) Actually feels good to only have one bookshelf of movies now... just less stuff. Next up are books...
Old 12-29-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
I only see myself "upgrading" from existing DVDs for probably less than 5% of my collection. Only in cases where it's a movie I particularly like (like "Pulp Fiction") or for big special effects movies (LOTR, Star Wars).

Most of my collection will do just fine in standard definition. I don't see myself upgrading that Mothman Prophecies 2D SE that I bought for $3.00 at Big Lots to a Blu-ray any time soon.

And a lot of the Blu-rays are disappointing releases, like the aforementioned La Femme Nikita, which are barebones discs. Ditto for Terminator (which I would like to own on Blu-ray), Carrie, Robocop.
Old 12-29-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replace every DVD that comes out with a BD counterpart (providing its a quality release), not immediately, but eventually (Just replaced The Mask, 6th Sense and Super Troopers). Then I donate my DVD collection to charity, local libraries and people that could really use and appreciate it. The only DVD's I have kept are ones that will never see the light of day on BD (Road House, Bring It On, License to Drive, Indiana Jones, Monster Squad, Rad, House ect) or at least won't for a long time.
Old 12-30-08, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would never consider dumping all of my DVD's. Selling them all isn't worth the effort and a lot of the titles I own may never wind up on Blu-ray.

However, I am considering the possibility of almost completely cutting off standard DVD purchases (with the occasional Big Lots trip as an exception to this rule). It just isn't worth it anymore to me. Blu-ray is so much better and there are already too many titles I know that I will want to upgrade.
Old 12-30-08, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GenPion
I would never consider dumping all of my DVD's. Selling them all isn't worth the effort and a lot of the titles I own may never wind up on Blu-ray.

However, I am considering the possibility of almost completely cutting off standard DVD purchases (with the occasional Big Lots trip as an exception to this rule). It just isn't worth it anymore to me. Blu-ray is so much better and there are already too many titles I know that I will want to upgrade.
That's pretty much where I'm at. I've really cut back on SD purchases unless it's something obscure that will probably never be on BD.

I've also considered selling off all of my SDs that are currently on BD/ Eventually I will upgrade.
Old 12-30-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts
I had between 400-500 laserdiscs at one time. I sold them all before dvds even hit the street. I got good money for them also. I have a friend who still has about 400 of them and he can't get nothing for them. He wished he took my advice and sold them shortly after dvd starting coming out.

As for my SD collection. I have purchased well over 2500 dvds in my life time. My 4 kids ended up with about 1000 in their collection. My parents a few hundred. About 6-8 months ago I decided to was time to sale off the rest of the dvds I had. I traded a bunch to Dvd Planet when their prices were pretty good before the last 20% sale. I ended up with about $1700 in credit. I sold a bunch of them on my local craigslists. Got good money for my Korean Drama collection and Korean Movies. Everyone and his mother and father are selling on craiglists. I have less then 50 dvds in my collection. I have close to 400 Blu-ray and maybe 70 hd-dvds which at one time was over 200. I have stopped completely buying standard dvds.
Old 12-30-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best scenario is to dump all your crappy titles on DVD, and buy all those crappy titles all over again on Blu Ray.
Old 12-30-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm limiting myself to mainly buying Blu-ray titles that I don't currently own on DVD, for the fact that I am planning on keeping my DVDs. I really, really enjoy BDs, but I'm being cautious about buying them because I know that the technology and transfers will improve over time, and I just can't justify buying movies 3 or more times.
Old 12-30-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm still trading in to DVDPlanet but the credit they are offering has dropped significantly. I'm also still having good luck with half.com, although most SD's are still only worth a couple dollars. The Disney stuff still commands decent money.
Old 12-30-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
How are you guys selling your old discs off? Ebay? Forum? Trade-ins? What has worked best for you?

I havn't dumped any of my 1500 or so dvds yet. I was looking at them last night and realized it doesn't make sense to keep things that I have upgraded on Blu-Ray. Maybe it's time to get rid of many of them.
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I use Half.com and Amazon Marketplace. But Amazon has higher commissions that make low priced titles uneconomic to sell. I will occasionally sell them to the local Hastings store for store credit. But their prices tend to be quite low. DVD Planet and Second Spin are too much trouble, because they often don't want the version of DVDs I happen to have (older Buffy sets, for example). Lots easier for me to sell at Half or Amazon. IMO, of course.

The prices for older DVDs are often very low, as Giz says. In that case I donate them to my library. I recently got Pirates of the Caribbean CotBP on BD. But the used price for the two disc DVD on Half.com is something like $1.75. Not really worth the trouble so I'll give it to my library, which doesn't have it. [At my library, donations that aren't added to the collection are sold on the used book shelf by the "Friends of the Library" organization. The money raised is then donated back to the library. As a longtime library Trustee, it is an obvious cause for me to support.]

A point of strategy I would like to mention:
If you think you will be upgrading a DVD to BD in the future, sell it before the BD comes out. You will likely get a better price before the market gets flooded with copies from other BD buyers.
Old 12-30-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by IamLegend
I am so bad..I replace brand new/sealed SD editions with HD or BD editions that I also will never watch...I always think "someday when I have time I will watch this".
This is why we have Netflix. (or similar)
Old 12-30-08, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks Lizard. The library idea sounds good.
Old 12-30-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a good question to contribute to this thread: How many of you would consider dumping all of your Blu-ray's for DVD's? DVD's are much cheaper and you could own SO MANY MORE films for a fraction of the cost! Imagine... all it would take is for you to sell all your BD movies. And, heck, you could get rid of the PS3 you have along with it!

Last edited by GenPion; 12-30-08 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12-31-08, 09:10 AM

Okay, I think we've beaten this topic to death. The bottom line is there is NO reason to dump your DVDs unless you replace them on Blu-ray. There is no guarantee that they will ever come out on Blu-ray so you will have to keep your DVDs until such time (if there is such a time). Let's all move on now.
Old 12-31-08, 06:49 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by dimmg
I am converting to BR. I have been watching BR since I got the PS3 and man what a improvement. If you get a BR get the PS3 it is the best bang for the buck. Two devices in one for the same price of just a BR player.
Except I can buy a quality BD player for $200... so unless you are just dying to play PS3 games it may not be worth it (Yes, I know the PS3 has other advantages).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.