Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

What is required for uncompressed 7.1?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

What is required for uncompressed 7.1?

Old 12-24-08, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Onkyo 606 works perfectly. No buzzing, humming, clicking, and does not run extremely hot. The only problem I have had with it was I blew two speaker channels while watching a movie with a defective soundtrack on the disc. DOn't let most of these people frighten you away from Onkyo. It is a quality AVR. Remember, problems reported are people in the minority. This receiver has sold millions because of quality and excellent word of mouth.
Old 12-24-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a very good thread. I've bookmarked it for when I put together my new system next year. I had no idea speakers should be 70% of the budget. I have a mid-range speaker system, nothing fancy... Thanks for the great info, guys!
Old 12-24-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by TylerDurden_73
My Onkyo 606 works perfectly. No buzzing, humming, clicking, and does not run extremely hot. The only problem I have had with it was I blew two speaker channels while watching a movie with a defective soundtrack on the disc. DOn't let most of these people frighten you away from Onkyo. It is a quality AVR. Remember, problems reported are people in the minority. This receiver has sold millions because of quality and excellent word of mouth.
Agreed.

It's fine to come in and say you prefer brand X over brand Y because of different features. But to try and paint all products by one company as junk when it appears there is no first-hand experience to back it up, well, that's something else.

Onkyo sells a lot of gear. If the failure rates were higher than typically electronic failure rates you'd hear about it more often just like you do about the 360 for instance. I have not seen any high levels of defect discussion when frequenting places like AVS.

Now, I don't even know if my next AVR will be an Onkyo. When I bought the 605 it was only the receiver out there at did next-gen audio decoding for under $700-$800. Now there are more options so it is definitely worth looking around.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 12-24-08 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-24-08, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. The only problem I have had with it was I blew two speaker channels while watching a movie with a defective soundtrack on the disc.

Care to elaborate? A defective soundtrack on a disc?
Old 12-24-08, 03:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
If the failure rates were higher than typically electronic failure rates you'd hear about it more often just like you do about the 360 for instance.
Thats exactly what is happening.... 606 hasn't been out what 9 months? as compared to 360 being out what 3 years? You better go read the forums again.
Old 12-24-08, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by junglalien
Thats exactly what is happening.... 606 hasn't been out what 9 months? as compared to 360 being out what 3 years? You better go read the forums again.
OK if true that's one model. That does not negate the whole product line from the company. My 605 is still going strong.

Let me ask again - what Onkyo receiver did you own personally and what issues did you experience? And why do you have such a vendetta against Onkyo?
Old 12-24-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is the reason Onkyo has been getting slammed recently. I'm not an owner so I can't comment, but it certainly did keep me away from a purchase.

Has your Onkyo 605/705/805/875/905 caught fire?

**WARNING** DTS Masters bitstreamed to Yamaha, Onkyo or Integra can damage speakers!!
Old 12-24-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL I like the first thread title! So sensational.

The DTS thing is not an issue with the receiver, but you can patch the receiver to avoid the "bitstream bomb". This was possible on several different brands of receivers. The fact that issues were repeatable at exact places on the problem discs suggests a disc problem which unfortunately puts receivers at risk.

Of course any electronics known to run warm or hot should be monitored and not enclosed, and it is very obvious these receivers run hot. That said, an 8 page thread for amount of AVS users who have an Onkyo sounds pretty small to me. I remember threads about other equipment getting much bigger much faster.

My receiver is on an open air metal rack and not enclosed in a basement which is usually about 68 degrees, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with why mine does not run too hot.
Old 12-24-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it was a disc problem then shouldn't other brands be having the same issues?

Nevermind: I found a post that explains it somewhat.

The problem appears to be related to older encodes that were authored prior to dts upgrading their authoring suite to 1.5 (September 2007) or 1.51 (December 2007). There have been no complaints noted with newer releases such as I, Robot. Some internet reports quote dts as saying that they have revised their authoring suite to take into account the issues with the specific IC. However, dts themselves have said that isn't the case but have acknowledged the two upgrades to their authoring suite. It could be that, as a byproduct of those revisions, the particular prefect storm of circumstances (specific IC, implementation, and particular datastream) necessary to produce the "bitstream bomb" has been addressed.

Marantz and Denon AVR's use a different IC chip for bitstream processing and do not have the problem. Also, some new pressings of Fantastic Four are apparently re-encoded and do not have the problem.

A number of different players have been used that all exhibited the same problem: Toshiba HD-XA2 & HD-A35; Pioneer BDP-95FD; Panasonic BD-30; and Denon 3800. I have experienced it in Fanastic 4 at about the 4 minute 35 second mark with an LG BH200 bitstreamed to an Onkyo TX-SR805.

You may want to use a different audio codec for those discs noted above. I know a number of people have been waiting for the Panasonic BD-50 and the Sony S350 because of the bitstream ability, but if you have an affected receiver, you may want to rely on a unit with onboard decoding.

Last edited by DthRdrX; 12-24-08 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-24-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recall the issue was largely affecting Onkyo x05 models and Yamaha. I have to assume this issue is not present on the x06 Onkyo's since Onkyo resolved the issue on the x05 models before they were discontinued.
Old 12-24-08, 06:01 PM
Banned

Even in this very thread someone said 2 channels on his 606 blew and he blamed it on "defective soundtrack on the disc." Here is a thread at HDD where 5 people in one week reported they have the buzz problem. http://forums.highdefdigest.com/home...g-problem.html

Last edited by junglalien; 12-24-08 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-24-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even in this very thread someone said 2 channels on his 606 blew and he blamed it on "defective soundtrack on the disc." Here is a thread at HDD where 5 people in one week reported they have the buzz problem. http://forums.highdefdigest.com/home...g-problem.html
If you'd do a little more reading you'd find the disc he was talking about was Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay. That disc is know to have popping occurring in the rear channels - my disc did the same thing.

Again, any valid points you may have are being negated by the manner in which you are posting. Rolling eyes, etc.
Old 12-24-08, 11:23 PM
Banned

If you'd do a little more reading you'd find the disc he was talking about was Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay. That disc is know to have popping occurring in the rear channels - my disc did the same thing.

Again, any valid points you may have are being negated by the manner in which you are posting. Rolling eyes, etc.
I just read his post and afterwards 3 times and found no mention of Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay.... Maybe I need new glasses? So what you are trying to say is New Line Cinema is responsible for frying the 2 channels on his receiver? I hope they bought him another one.... If not then it just goes to show its Onkyo's fault and more evidence the 606 is a failure. Your ad hominem attempts to nullify my credibilty don't make it any less of a failure.

Last edited by junglalien; 12-24-08 at 11:57 PM.
Old 12-24-08, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Onkyo is a fine brand IMO. I think the 806 was a step back from what they did with the 805 but that's another discussion.

All of the receivers in the market tend to have some little issues if you read too far into them. HK have had reports of HDMI glitches, the Yamaha 663 clips black/white, the Pioneers have an outdated 80s OSD .... I decided to just buy a Pioneer because it works ell with my Klipsch speakers at the right price.

IMO the OP should get the speakers first and then see what receiver fits with them the best.
Old 12-25-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read his post and afterwards 3 times and found no mention of Harold and Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay.... Maybe I need new glasses? So what you are trying to say is New Line Cinema is responsible for frying the 2 channels on his receiver? I hope they bought him another one.... If not then it just goes to show its Onkyo's fault and more evidence the 606 is a failure. Your ad hominem attempts to nullify my credibilty don't make it any less of a failure.
I don't have to attempt to nullify what was never there. No one knows you here. You come in here guns blazing at Onkyo like they kicked your dog....what did you expect?

And yes, is it that hard to believe an audio glitch on a disc could blow out a channel? It could be a combination of high volume, high individual channel level, etc.
Old 12-25-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Onkyo spent a year effectively being the only game in town for HDMI receivers. (see receivers with HDMI but only video passthrough) But there have been so many issues with all of the x06 series that many are going elsewhere now that other companies have finally started putting out usable products.

Onkyo needs to fix all the glitches in the new tech, but fast. They had one problem they fixed, but at the high-end the Reon color problem is still around. The 606 just seems to have some cheap parts making the old tech (the amp) questionable. I would always recommend at least the 7xx series anyway, but the 606 does seem a bit lemony. And a couple x06 models have fewer features than the same-level x05 model. That may be a business decision to move xxx feature into a different model, but it is going to piss off consumers in the short term.

Issues with Audyssey implementation in a low-end model are fixed by buying a high-end model. You get what you pay for.

I have a disc that can destroy anything if you aren't careful.
Old 12-25-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Apologies for jumping in with more receiver questions but does anyone have any opinions on which might be the best receiver to focus on between the Onkyo SR606, Denon 1909 and whatever Yamaha's equivalent to those might be?

I was thinking the 606 was the way to go from previous research but wanted to make sure before placing the order.
Old 12-25-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiky
Onkyo spent a year effectively being the only game in town for HDMI receivers. (see receivers with HDMI but only video passthrough) But there have been so many issues with all of the x06 series that many are going elsewhere now that other companies have finally started putting out usable products.

Onkyo needs to fix all the glitches in the new tech, but fast. They had one problem they fixed, but at the high-end the Reon color problem is still around. The 606 just seems to have some cheap parts making the old tech (the amp) questionable. I would always recommend at least the 7xx series anyway, but the 606 does seem a bit lemony. And a couple x06 models have fewer features than the same-level x05 model. That may be a business decision to move xxx feature into a different model, but it is going to piss off consumers in the short term.

Issues with Audyssey implementation in a low-end model are fixed by buying a high-end model. You get what you pay for.

I have a disc that can destroy anything if you aren't careful.
Thanks for the level headed discourse. Lot of good info there.

I went with the 605 at the time because I didn't want to spend a ton on my first HDMI receiver - it was more of a trial thing. But it's been great and solid so far. When I upgrade it will almost certainly be to something with multiple processors - either an 80x or a comparable receiver from another manufacturer. I used my 801 for years and it was awesome, just no HDMI so I retired it when I got into Blu-Ray heavily.
Old 12-25-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got a 606 when it first rolled out. No problems whatsoever so far, I love it.
Old 12-25-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by abintra
Apologies for jumping in with more receiver questions but does anyone have any opinions on which might be the best receiver to focus on between the Onkyo SR606, Denon 1909 and whatever Yamaha's equivalent to those might be?

I was thinking the 606 was the way to go from previous research but wanted to make sure before placing the order.
If you only need 2 HDMI inputs, or if getting a splitter from monoprice isnt an issue, i love the Yamaha. If those 2 things bother you, go with the Denon. Either way you can't lose.

IMO Onkyo has lowered their standards a bit recently in order to gain some market share which has led to some QC issues. If you get a good one, they are great receivers.

The RX-v1800 is well worth the money depending on the speakers you are going with.
Old 12-25-08, 09:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
If you only need 2 HDMI inputs, or if getting a splitter from monoprice isnt an issue
I haven't needed more than 2 HDMI inputs but I picked one of these up for $11 shipped last week incase I ever do... Joytech Tri-Link 3-Port HDMI Switch with Remote I guess it is in the Harmony remote database. Lots of conflicting reports on how well it works but for the price I think its worth having in the toolbox to give it a try if needed.

Last edited by junglalien; 12-25-08 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-25-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have to attempt to nullify what was never there. No one knows you here. You come in here guns blazing at Onkyo like they kicked your dog....what did you expect?

And yes, is it that hard to believe an audio glitch on a disc could blow out a channel? It could be a combination of high volume, high individual channel level, etc.
Not to kick as dead dog, but I was watching it a normal volume level of 30. Why? Because it's a comedy why have it loud like a action flick. Both speakers were at 80hz and 5db. You still don't beleive it's the disc? Why don't you buy a 606 get a panny 50 or 55 blu player and try harold and kumar escape from guantanamo bay and see how many times it pops (oh, beware two loud ones) and then return the 606 as defective and get your money back. To be fair...I can't say for sure if the two distinct loud pops were the actual receiver speaker channel popping or not...
Old 12-25-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not to kick as dead dog, but I was watching it a normal volume level of 30. Why? Because it's a comedy why have it loud like a action flick. Both speakers were at 80hz and 5db. You still don't beleive it's the disc? Why don't you buy a 606 get a panny 50 or 55 blu player and try harold and kumar escape from guantanamo bay and see how many times it pops (oh, beware two loud ones) and then return the 606 as defective and get your money back. To be fair...I can't say for sure if the two distinct loud pops were the actual receiver speaker channel popping or not...
I remember exactly what you are talking about. My rear surrounds are about 15ft behind me so maybe it didn't seem as loud, but yeah, it was not pleasant hearing that come through my system.
Old 12-25-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here is a list of titles with 7.1. Titles came from http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/St...?OrderBy=Audio

3:10 to Yuma Lionsgate
The Bank Job Lionsgate
Be Kind Rewind Warner
Belly Lionsgate
Black Mask Lionsgate
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian Disney
Daddy's Little Girls Lionsgate
Dark City Warner
Delta Farce Lionsgate
Doctor Strange Lionsgate
The Doors Lionsgate
Yes
Dragon Tiger Gate Other
The Eye Lionsgate
The Final Countdown Other
The Forbidden Kingdom Lionsgate
The Golden Compass Warner
Good Luck Chuck Lionsgate
Grieg - Piano Concerto / Symphonic Dances / In Autumn - Acoustic Reality Experience Other
Hairspray Warner
Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour Disney
Harold & Kumar Escape from Guantanamo Bay
Hellboy II: The Golden Army Universal
House of Fury Other
The Invincible Iron Man Lionsgate
La Traviata at La Scala Other
Meet the Browns
Mr. Woodcock Warner
Next Avengers: Heroes of Tomorrow Lionsgate
The Nightmare Before Christmas Disney
Nino Rota: Complete Music For Viola /Violin and Piano - Acoustic Reality Experience Other
Oldboy
The Orphanage Warner
Pan's Labyrinth Warner
Perhaps Love Other
Rambo Lionsgate
Run Fatboy Run
Rush Hour 3 Warner
Saw IV Lionsgate
Semi-Pro Warner
Shoot 'Em Up Warner
Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 -
Sleeping Beauty Disney
The Stendhal Syndrome Other
Step Into Liquid Lionsgate
Tchaikovsky - Piano Concertos Nos. 1&3 - Acoustic Reality Experience
Ultimate Avengers Lionsgate
Van Wilder Lionsgate
Verdi: Rigoletto Other
Vivaldi: L'Estro Armonico - The Best of Violin Concetros - Acoustic Reaity Experience Other
Waiting... Lionsgate
War Lionsgate
Weeds: Season Three Lionsgate
Weeds: Season Two Lionsgate
Witless Protection Lionsgate
House of 1000 Corpses
Old 01-14-09, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
Re: What is required for uncompressed 7.1?

Originally Posted by Spiky
After going through the info on the Audyssey thread over at AVS, I have to take back what I said.

I followed the instructions there and actually went ahead and calibrated my system beforehand with an SPL meter. That way I made sure wy subwoofer wasn't outputing too loudly. That was what was throwing off the measurements on the Audyssey system. It was overcompensating for my sub being too loud by clipping the low end and boosting the high end. Once that problem was resolved, the end results are night and day. Now I'm love with what using Audyssey did for my home theatre.