Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

connecting a Sony BDP-S350 via wireless connection

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I am trying to connect my Sony BDP-S350 player to the internet for BD-Live via a wireless setup and wonder if anyone has done this. My cable modem is upstairs and the player is in the family room downstairs so running a hardline to it is not an option.

I tried using a WGA54G game adapter for the connection to my wireless home setup but I am having problems inputting the setting in the Network setup menu of the player. I was told that this adapter uses WEP only but upon setup, it has no problem seeing my WPA connection. I am not sure if that is the problem.

Maybe it just cannot be done.

Any thoughts here..
Old 12-16-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
My situation is similar. I have the 350 in the family room, as well as a wireless router running upstairs.

Is my only option a wireless bridge? If not, what will work? Those bridges look to be about the same price as the router, and I was hoping there was another alternative (that cost less). I'm interested in accessing BD-Live content, but I'm not sure I want to drop another $50 on a bridge to do it.
Old 12-16-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I happen to have gotten the wireless bridge adapter refurb for alot cheaper vs new but have not gotten it to work yet. Someone else suggested getting the WAP54G, instead.

I had to update the firmware by disc to version 10 to get the BD-Live feature. I know the feature is not that great now but who knows later on.
Old 12-17-08, 11:47 AM

I'm trying to do the same and I could sure use some help in this area.

I have a Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless router connected to Comcast internet. The wireless works fine with my computers, both wired and wireless...

I have just purchased the WGA54G Wireless-G Game Adapter.

I have the Sony 350 Blu-Ray player.

I connected the Wireless adapter to my router, configured it and I can see it on my network.

I disconnect it from the router, move it to the other room and connect it to the Blu-Ray device, but can no longer see the adapter on the network. Take it back to the router, connect it and it shows up on the network. I have signal in the room where the Blu-Ray is, my laptop is in there.

I use WPA2 security on my router. I configured 64-bit WEP on the adapter.

Here are my questions...

1. What should the network settings on the Blu-Ray be set too?

1a - Do I use a unique IP address?

1b - Should the gateway be the adapter or the router IP address?

1c - DNS server IPs should be waht is on the router?

2. Linksys tech support wanted to charge me money to log in and configure the two devices to work together. Is that actually necessary and why?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 12-17-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a D-Link bridge for my Panasonic BD-35. All I did was set it to DHCP and put in the password for my router and it worked great. There's really no reason to not use DHCP for this type of device, but to each his own.
Old 12-17-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Adrenaline
I have a D-Link bridge for my Panasonic BD-35. All I did was set it to DHCP and put in the password for my router and it worked great. There's really no reason to not use DHCP for this type of device, but to each his own.
I tried DHCP and if I remember correctly, it did not connect. I will try it again.
Old 12-17-08, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If a $50-$60+ wireless bridge is my only option, I guess it will have to wait. The whole BD-Live concept doesn't seem that exciting.
Old 01-03-09, 12:46 AM

Hello all,
Just reading this thread so I thought I'd share my recent experience:

I have a Sony BDP-BX1. This is a clone of the BDP-S350, given a different model number for Sam’s Club/Costco/BJ's Warehouse/etc. Aside from the fact that mine came with an HDMI cable and a back lit remote, it is an S350 in every other way.

These Sony BD players only support a hardwired connection. There is no option to use USB wireless adapters. Therefore, the only pseudo wireless option is to use a wireless bridge of some sort.

I spent some time the last week reading and researching options for wireless bridges. The game adapters are one possible option, though these seem to be disappearing since most of the current game systems come with built-in WiFi.

There are several devices that are not marketed specifically as bridges per se but will also operate as bridges either automatically, or can be set into a type of "wireless client" bridge mode. For example, the Linksys WAP54G is marketed primarily as a wireless access point (WAP) meaning it will add wireless capability to a wired network but will also act as bridge.

Cisco/Linksys website for the WAP54G:
You can also use the Wireless-G Access Point as a kind of "cable-less cable" to connect remote areas together.

The D-Link is similar to the Linksys but comes with a built-in 4 port gigabit switch and supports 802.11n for higher wireless speeds. D-Link also makes at least one wireless print server that has a single additional bridge port (DPR-1260).

Since my HD TiVo will also require an Internet connection (I won't even consider dial-up) I wanted something that would allow me to connect both of these co-located devices back to the wireless router in my office, ~15-20 feet away.

Most of the bridge devices I found had only one port on them, which means that for most of them, I would also need to add a separate switch behind them. The cabling is enough of a mess already and having another wall wart blob doesn't excite me (not to mention the additional cost).

I discovered that the Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server will also act as a bridge AND has a built in 4 port switch. It's also a litte cheaper than the D-Link. This evening I bought one at Best Buy and brought it home and set it up.

I discovered a few things that are similar to the challenges the rest of you are having.

1. The wireless bridge may be able to "see" your router but that doesn't mean that it will necessarily automatically be allowed to join the router. This only means that you are allowing your router to advertise itself over its wireless connection. Having the security settings to join the router is another thing completely. If you have a WEP only capable bridge device, don't assume that it can join a WPA configured router just because it sees the router advertising itself.

2. You might be able to connect the bridge via hardwire cat-5 cable to your router/switch and access all of its settings but that doesn't mean that you will necessarily have a wireless connection when you disconnect the cable.

3. Step one is to get into the bridge device and make sure it is seeing the wireless router advertise itself (technically speaking it is possible to turn off this announce or advertise feature on many routers but most people don't bother). Once it does, you will need to select this as the network it will be connecting to.

4. Step two is to set the wireless bridge device's security settings to match those of your wireless router. In general this means you will need to know what type of security (WEP, WPA, etc.) and at least one of the possible keys. I have to admit that the page for this in the Netgear can give you the impression that you are entering settings for the bridge to transmit as though it were a router itself. The appearance of these settings can be a little misleading but once set, it worked flawlessly.

5. Some bridges, such as my Netgear, will actually have two different IP address when all is said and done; one of them will be a management address either assigned by the factory (if you're lucky enough to have one in the same subnet as your existing router which doesn't conflict with something else on your network) or an address which you set on it, and the other will most likely be a DHCP assigned address from the wireless router that the bridge will use to carry bridge traffic. On my Netgear, this address is not pingable although it is real. This is in perfect keeping with the definition of a bridge which is supposed to be a virtual wire and not make any decisions about the packets it sees (that's the job of a router).

6. Once you have a solid wireless connection, you should be able to ping the bridge on its management IP address, and also access it's web setup page (it gets a little twisted to imagine but the bridge IP is passing packets to the management IP, all in the same hardware).

7. Take the bridge to the remote room and plug it into power only, no devices. See if you can access it entirely on its own. If you can't don't even bother connecting anything to it. Once you have done this successfully, go ahead and connect your BD or other media device. I discovered that the Sony BD player does not respond to pings so don't be surprised if yours doesn't answer back either.

7. Most bridges should support the forwarding of DHCP (from the router). However, while my Sony BD player leased an address quite quickly once it was connected, all with the correct subnet mask, gateway, and DNS info, the network built-in diagnostic function in the BD player failed and it seemed to immediately lose its DHCP assigned address.

8. When I set the BD player to static IP, the diagnostic ran fine and completed in under 3 seconds. I set it back to DHCP, re-leased an address from the router, but the diagnostic failed again. Once back on static, everything works fine. I can't say for sure if it is the fault of the BD player or the bridge but my instinct is the BD player.

UPDATE: Now that I've setup my TiVo HD, I can say that it had no trouble leasing an IP address via DHCP through the Netgear WGPS606 wireless bridge. It's a separate twisted tail but I had two different TiVo HD units and walked them both through setup a couple of times. Each time they both leased DHCP assigned IP addresses without any problem. I feel fairly certain that the problem with DHCP is the fault of the Sony BD player.

I was able to update the firmware in my BD player from the Internet without any problem.

If anyone else is interested in the Netgear WGPS606, you can find them refurbished on Google Shopping for ~$25-$30 ("netgear wgps606 refurbished"). These typically don't come with the startup wizard CD. If you are network savvy and not afraid of IP addresses, etc. you don't need this. I didn't use it. I set it up manually in under 15 minutes, including connecting it to my BD player. Netgear has excellent documentation on their site which can also be helpful.

Good luck.

Last edited by VideoChief; 01-05-09 at 10:00 PM. Reason: updated information
Old 01-03-09, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a WRT54GL (link below, check that rating on Newegg!) and put DD-WRT/OPENWRT on it. Works great, and is very full-featured, very stable. Might not be for everyone -- as this requires you to flash a Linksys router with a open source firmware.

Works with anything -- in my case a HD DVD, HTPC, and Xbox. There's so many devices near the TV that need net access nowadays... worth it to have 4 ports there.

Here's what I bought --
Linksys WRT54GL on New Egg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124190

Here's what I put on it --
http://openwrt.org/ or
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page or
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Lots of other options. Configured the unit as a Bridge. Rock solid since then.

-beebs

Last edited by beebs; 01-03-09 at 04:04 AM.
Old 01-03-09, 11:26 AM

Hi Beebs,
Thanks for bringing up DD-WRT. I was considering it myself but none of the three unused routers I have are supported and it would have meant a new hardware purchase one way or another.

I didn't bring it up in my previous post because it was already too long and thought it might be a bit too involved for the technically timid.

One thing I noticed when I was reasearching DD-WRT was that DHCP doesn't work in bridge mode with V24. I don't know if the SP1 release addressed this or not. However, since I had to revert to static addressing anyway, it wasn't really much of an issue with me.

As a newbie I'm not allowed to post URL's but if I were, the beginning of this would have an H, 2 T's, a P,:// and 3 W's

.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Bridge

Instructions update for V24: DHCP does not work between the DHCP server in the primary and the DHCP clients in computers connected to the secondary in this configuration with V24. You will have to assign static IP addresses like 192.168.1.10x to the computers connected to the secondary, a different one for each computer of course. Then it works fine. Annoying!
Old 01-14-09, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: connecting a Sony BDP-S350 via wireless connection

Still trying to get a handle on how to set up the 350 for BD-Live.

As I mentioned in an earlier post I have the 350 in the family room, and a wireless router running upstairs on my desktop pc.

Could I use this extender? Would I connect the LAN port from this to the DVD player?
Old 01-14-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by beebs
I bought a WRT54GL (link below, check that rating on Newegg!) and put DD-WRT/OPENWRT on it. Works great, and is very full-featured, very stable. Might not be for everyone -- as this requires you to flash a Linksys router with a open source firmware.

Works with anything -- in my case a HD DVD, HTPC, and Xbox. There's so many devices near the TV that need net access nowadays... worth it to have 4 ports there.

Here's what I bought --
Linksys WRT54GL on New Egg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833124190

Here's what I put on it --
http://openwrt.org/ or
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page or
http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

Lots of other options. Configured the unit as a Bridge. Rock solid since then.

-beebs
That was the route I wanted to go but neither of my old G Linksys routers support DD-WRT. They were made after Cisco bought them so they don't have the broadcom(?) boards. Don't know if I'm willing to drop another $50 just to hook up the Blu player and a 360.
Old 01-14-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
Could I use this extender? Would I connect the LAN port from this to the [BD] player?
Yes and yes. You may have to set it up first with a PC though.
Old 02-04-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

Is the BDP-S350 going to be discontinued or replaced with a new model?

it is out of stock at sony.com and only 6 sellers have it at bottomdollar.com
Old 05-13-09, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Resurrecting an old thread...

As I stated in an earlier post, I have the BDP-S350 in one room and the Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless router (WPA2 upstairs in another.

I have no gaming systems needs, so the thought of $60+ just for BD-Live doesn't seem worth it (at least not yet), but by the same token I'm curious enough to want to see it in action.

I've considered the Encore for $35 or this Zonet ZEW3002 802.11g Wireless Access Point for $24.

I know those are cheapies, and I know you often get what you pay for.

NewEgg does have the aforementioned LINKSYS WRT54GL for $59, which is at the far edge of my price point, but if it's more reliable/easy-to-set-up piece of equipment I'd probably jump on it.

Or, if I'm content to spend $59, do I spend a little more and jump up to $70 and get the Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Gaming Adapter...

Thoughts and opinions are always appreciated....

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-13-09 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-13-09, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resurrecting an old thread...

As I stated in an earlier post, I have the BDP-S350 in one room and the Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless router (WPA2 upstairs in another.

I have no gaming systems needs, so the thought of $60+ just for BD-Live doesn't seem worth it (at least not yet), but by the same token I'm curious enough to want to see it in action.

I've considered the Encore for $35 or this Zonet ZEW3002 802.11g Wireless Access Point for $24.

I know those are cheapies, and I know you often get what you pay for.

NewEgg does have the aforementioned LINKSYS WRT54GL for $59, which is at the far edge of my price point, but if it's more reliable/easy-to-set-up piece of equipment I'd probably jump on it.

Or, if I'm content to spend $59, do I spend a little more and jump up to $70 and get the Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Gaming Adapter...

Thoughts and opinions are always appreciated....
I'm confused. Are you saying you can use the router to make the S350 wireless and communicate with the router upstairs?
Old 05-13-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I'm confused. Are you saying you can use the router to make the S350 wireless and communicate with the router upstairs?
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have a Linksys WRT54G2 upstairs connected to my desktop so that I can have wireless for a laptop and a couple of iPods.

The S350 isn't Wi-Fi enabled for BD-Live content, so it either requires a direct CAT5 connection from a router (not possible in my scenario) or via a bridge.

So I'm trying to find a bridge that won't break my bank and will play well with the Linksys WRT54G2.
Old 05-13-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Attention mods:

Should this thread be moved to DVD & Home Theater Gear?
Seems like this group is more disc-related than equipment-related...
Old 05-13-09, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I have a Linksys WRT54G2 upstairs connected to my desktop so that I can have wireless for a laptop and a couple of iPods.

The S350 isn't Wi-Fi enabled for BD-Live content, so it either requires a direct CAT5 connection from a router (not possible in my scenario) or via a bridge.

So I'm trying to find a bridge that won't break my bank and will play well with the Linksys WRT54G2.

OK. I'm kind of in the same boat. I have an S350 and a XBOX 360, but my wireless router is just in the next room in the basement, so I may just run a wire and install jacks. My router is an older Netgear, 11Mbps only.
Old 05-13-09, 10:29 AM

Bought a second linksys router WRT54G-TM from a T Mobile store for 20 bucks, flashed it with DD-WRT and set it up as a bridge:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Quite a few devices are supported, so you could even get a second WRT54G2, or find a cheaper router:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...evices#Linksys

Sits downstairs in the Entertainment center and talks to the main router upstairs. Mine has 4 ports, so I have BDP-S350, XBOX360 and , HD-A2 all hooked up. Works like a charm
Old 05-13-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by D_N_G
Bought a second linksys router WRT54G-TM from a T Mobile store for 20 bucks, flashed it with DD-WRT and set it up as a bridge:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Quite a few devices are supported, so you could even get a second WRT54G2, or find a cheaper router:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...evices#Linksys

Sits downstairs in the Entertainment center and talks to the main router upstairs. Mine has 4 ports, so I have BDP-S350, XBOX360 and , HD-A2 all hooked up. Works like a charm
Interesting.

I found some Linksys WRT54G-TM Wireless G Router with DD-WRT on ebay, so I'm assuming that means I won't have to flash them myself. Plus, I really have no clue what DD-WRT is. Some kind of open source hack that does what exactly?

And that should work as a bridge to my existing WRT54G2 connected to my desktop (XP)?

Last edited by Pointyskull; 05-13-09 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-13-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just have not had a chance to even work with the refurb wga54g since I got it like 5 months ago. I like the idea of the BD-Live but I am thinking is it worth the time and effort.

I may just try getting another cheap wireless bridge (the ones you mentioned 12th Monkey)that supports another protocol than WEP since this is all this adapter supports. My wireless connection at home is all WPA based so I wonder if this is the problem.

Just a thought.
Old 05-13-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by nycdude
I just have not had a chance to even work with the refurb wga54g since I got it like 5 months ago. I like the idea of the BD-Live but I am thinking is it worth the time and effort.
I'm starting to wonder the same thing.

My Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless router is set to WPA2, and I don't really know for sure if that will work with a Linksys WRT54G-TM Wireless G Router with DD-WRT, in part because I know just enough to be dangerous when it comes to routers, etc....
Old 05-13-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by nycdude
I may just try getting another cheap wireless bridge (the ones you mentioned 12th Monkey)that supports another protocol than WEP since this is all this adapter supports. My wireless connection at home is all WPA based so I wonder if this is the problem.
I'm unclear on this, as well...
Old 05-14-09, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Dumb question of the day:

If I get one of those WRT54G-TM routers flashed with DD-WRT (which is Linux-based correct?) it's not going to matter if my main router is connected to a pc running XP?

See, I told you it was a dumb question...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.