Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Burning HD material to a standard DVD disc

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am desperately trying to burn some HD movie trailers I have on my computer to a standard DVD-R disc to be played in my Sony BD-SP300 BluRay disc player.

PROBLEMS:
These files are 1080p .mov format. I have used a program called SUPER to transcode them into the AVCHD format, with the mt2s container. I understand this is the method Blu Ray uses for their transport streams. Now I have 3 files I need to burn, all in the Blu Ray compatible format, but they simply won't play on my player.

I use ExpressBurn to build a BluRay disc image (ISO file). Then I use ImgBurn to burn the file to a DVD-R disc, and no luck. When I insert the disc, all I get is DATA DISC on the display, and when I push play, I get a 'no title' prompt. What am I doing wrong exactly. I know this can be done, supposedly.

Thanks!
Old 11-25-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I burned HD trailer video files (from 'Demo World') to DVD-R as a Data Disc as well, but I play it on PS3 so it reads the disc the same way a computer would.

Since you are using Quicktime movies, I suggest a program called YAMB, which transcodes to mp4.
Old 11-25-08, 11:11 PM

Since you are using Quicktime movies, I suggest a program called YAMB, which transcodes to mp4
But I transcoded to mt2s, which I thought was the BluRay format. I tried MP4 transcoding through the same program, to no avail on my BD-SP300. I am burning an ISO image, but either I'm doing it wrong or the player simpy can't read the discs? But I've read on other boards of people using the same player and the same concept, and it works for them?
Old 11-26-08, 08:02 AM

I still haven't tried it myself, but there are some write-ups on a forum I visit for HD camcorders to do this for either Blu-ray of HD-DVD. I'd assume it would work the same with your source material, but I could be wrong.

I'd post a direct link, but the site is blocked by my work firewall. I can't remember specifically which forum it's in inside the site, but I believe it's a sticky. The site is: http://www.hv20.com

If you can't find it, I'll come up with a link when I'm at home. No promises...
Old 11-26-08, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
There's no need to do an iso if the video files are in the correct format.

An iso is similar to a zip file, it's just the file structure made into one file. Then it's basically extracting it to the disc when you burn it. You can just use the files themselves in the first place and it's the same thing.
Old 11-26-08, 02:35 PM

So mp4, then? I just burned a Data Disc with the MPEG-2 Transport stream and it gave me the prompt "Can't Play" "AVCHD"
As far as I know, the BD-SP300 should be able to play AVCHD files?
How shall I burn these files to play in the player? DVD-Video, DVD Data, Simply a Data disc, or some other way? Thanks for all the help.
Old 11-27-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by shelland
I still haven't tried it myself, but there are some write-ups on a forum I visit for HD camcorders to do this for either Blu-ray of HD-DVD... The site is: http://www.hv20.com
Is this it?
http://www.hv20.com/showthread.php?t=7432

Originally Posted by mrconceited
How shall I burn these files to play in the player? DVD-Video, DVD Data, Simply a Data disc, or some other way? Thanks for all the help.
You need to author this disc as either AVCHD, AVCREC, or BD. If your authoring software doesn't offer those authoring options, you'll have to upgrade your authoring software.