Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

King Kong (2005) - 1/20/09

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

King Kong (2005) - 1/20/09

Old 11-11-08, 11:56 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
King Kong (2005) - 1/20/09

Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong is coming to Blu-ray Disc on January 20.

King Kong became a poster child for HD DVDs campaign when it was packaged with Microsoft's HD DVD add-on drive for Xbox 360.

On Blu-ray, King Kong will receive a few upgrades starting with 5.1 DTS-HD Master replacing 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus. Video will be framed at 2.35:1 in 1080p and likely will be an identical transfer as seen on HD DVD, at least for the theatrical cut.

The Blu-ray version of King Kong will not only include the theatrical cut but also the extended edition which was not on HD DVD. Supplemental features will be broken between the two version as follows.

Original Version
U Control: The Art Galleries
My Scenes
BD Live Features: My Scenes Sharing

Extended Version
Control: Picture in Picture
U Control: The Art Galleries
My Scenes
BD Live Features: My Scenes Sharing
Feature Commentary with Writer / Director Peter Jackson and with Co-Writer / Producer Philipa Boyen

King Kong on Blu-ray will retail for $29.98.

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/King_K...n_January/3762


Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 11-13-08 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-11-08, 12:13 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 9,933
Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts
So no extras apart from the PIP U-control? I'd rather they just dump all the documentaries on a 2nd disc and charge $10 more... all well, I'll still get it.
Old 11-11-08, 12:14 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Hammer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,049
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On Blu-ray, King Kong will receive a few upgrades
Just a few lol... time to move the HD DVD for some spare change. Tremendous news, can't wait!
Old 11-11-08, 12:14 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would have been nice for a 2nd disc, but not a big deal for me. I'll hold onto the dvds for the extras. This has been #1 on my list of Universal BDs for a long time. The dts hd audio should sound amazing.
Old 11-11-08, 12:14 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,055
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
Universal Studios Home Entertainment has announced Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong is coming to Blu-ray Disc on January 20.

King Kong became a poster child for HD DVDs campaign when it was packaged with Microsoft's HD DVD add-on drive for Xbox 360.

On Blu-ray, King Kong will receive a few upgrades starting with 5.1 DTS-HD Master replacing 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus. Video will be framed at 2.35:1 in 1080p and likely will be an identical transfer as seen on HD DVD, at least for the theatrical cut.

The Blu-ray version of King Kong will not only include the theatrical cut but also the extended edition which was not on HD DVD. Supplemental features will be broken between the two version as follows.

Original Version
U Control: The Art Galleries
My Scenes
BD Live Features: My Scenes Sharing

Extended Version
Control: Picture in Picture
U Control: The Art Galleries
My Scenes
BD Live Features: My Scenes Sharing
Feature Commentary with Writer / Director Peter Jackson and with Co-Writer / Producer Philipa Boyen

King Kong on Blu-ray will retail for $29.98.

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/King_K...n_January/3762
Right on.
Old 11-11-08, 12:27 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Maxflier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 12,079
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Both versions without having to dip twice? THAT'S what i'm talkin' about. Looking forward to picking this one up for sure.
Old 11-11-08, 12:41 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Drexl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 16,065
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
They're not going to degrade it with DNR like they did with The Thing and others, are they?
Old 11-11-08, 12:45 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
islandclaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Behind the Orange Curtain
Posts: 20,085
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Extended cut on BR? That's what I've been waiting for. Oh yea.
Old 11-11-08, 12:48 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,653
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Few questions...

How much longer is the extended version?

Does the BD has more extra feature then the HD DVD?
Old 11-11-08, 12:49 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,653
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Hammer99 View Post
Just a few lol... time to move the HD DVD for some spare change. Tremendous news, can't wait!
$0.79 at Game Stop right now
Old 11-11-08, 12:51 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended version? With this movie, I want a Retracted version- it's already half-an-hour too long!
Old 11-11-08, 12:51 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Hammer99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,049
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
$0.79 at Game Stop right now
There's a local mom&pop place here, I bet I get at least a buck for it!
Old 11-11-08, 01:07 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,295
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Oh, I'm definitely in!
Old 11-11-08, 01:08 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Vipper II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Abingdon, MD
Posts: 3,295
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Extended version? With this movie, I want a Retracted version- it's already half-an-hour too long!
Oh, I see what you did there. How creative.
Old 11-11-08, 01:11 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
BuckNaked2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hartford, CT
Posts: 6,013
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Extended version? With this movie, I want a Retracted version- it's already half-an-hour too long!
Too true!
Old 11-11-08, 01:11 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
Oh, I see what you did there. How creative.
Eh... you get what you pay for.
Old 11-11-08, 01:39 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,860
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Awesome - I've always been torn on having to watch the theatrical in HD or extended in SD.
Old 11-11-08, 01:47 PM
  #18  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,557
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Extended version? With this movie, I want a Retracted version- it's already half-an-hour too long!
it's definately a half hour too long, but Peter Jackson and James Cameron for that matter know how to make a long film go by quickly.

as to this release:
Old 11-11-08, 01:50 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Mr. Cinema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 18,044
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad we have a release date now. But given that this is one of Universal's biggest hits, you'd think they would have wanted it released before Christmas. Maybe they wanted to wait for more players to be sold this season before releasing. Oh well...
Old 11-11-08, 01:51 PM
  #20  
Moderator
 
Giles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 33,557
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
so wait... question ... this will all be on one disc ??

Best Buy actually has a bluray demo disc that features the V-rex scene in HiDef, albeit cropped to 1.78
Old 11-11-08, 01:54 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,609
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles View Post
so wait... question ... this will all be on one disc ??
The theatrical cut fit beautifully (with nary a compression artifact) on an HD DVD 15, so I don't see why they couldn't fit it twice, plus a little more, on a BD 50.
Old 11-11-08, 01:58 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 15,860
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
The theatrical cut fit beautifully (with nary a compression artifact) on an HD DVD 15, so I don't see why they couldn't fit it twice, plus a little more, on a BD 50.
Every review I've seen says KK was an HD-30.

Still plenty of room though even with the addition of lossless and seamless branching.
Old 11-11-08, 02:00 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Gizmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Formerly known as "GizmoDVD"/Southern CA
Posts: 30,653
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema View Post
I'm glad we have a release date now. But given that this is one of Universal's biggest hits, you'd think they would have wanted it released before Christmas. Maybe they wanted to wait for more players to be sold this season before releasing. Oh well...
Or maybe there are other reasons as to why this and other Universal films (Bourne Collection, Adam Sandler Collection) did not arrive in time for Christmas.
Old 11-11-08, 02:00 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bluetoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,875
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I might get this...but I already have the production diaries, theatrical DVD, extended DVD and theatrical HD.

Would have been better if they had an ultimate set, with the production diaries, everything from the 2nd disc of the theatrical release, then all the extras from the EE. That would have run about 3 or 4 discs though.
Old 11-11-08, 02:04 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
LickTheABCs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Viva BuyMoria!
Posts: 3,464
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yay.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.