Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Poltergeist" BD : Your thoughts?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-08, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I have to admit I was apprehensive picking this up on BD after reading just merely above average reviews for the PQ alone. But I have to say, I was very very happy with the image. I'd give it a 4.5/5.0. And compared to newer films like, say, "L.A. Confidential" BD, a film released 15 years later, the PQ was 10 times better. The sound was also great. This is a classic film too. I can't believe DVD Talk reviewer Adam Tyner only gave the movie an overall 3.5/5.0. It's the grand daddy of haunted house/ghost films. I tend to agree with this review:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...40&show=review
Old 11-09-08, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poltergeist is a classic, but I personally would give that grand daddy mantle to Robert Wise's "The Haunting"
Old 11-09-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by indiansbsa
Poltergeist is a classic, but I personally would give that grand daddy mantle to Robert Wise's "The Haunting"
You are absolutely right, of course. I stand corrected. Nothing can beat Robert Wise's "The Haunting". And probably never will. I still think "Poltergeist" is up there with it. Also, "The Others". Can't wait for both that and "The Haunting" on BD.
Old 11-10-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. The film looked very, very good for its age. I wasn't expecting Poletergeist to get a great treatment on Blu-ray, but a great treatment it has. It was an unexpected treat.
Old 11-10-08, 09:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Daytripper
You are absolutely right, of course. I stand corrected. Nothing can beat Robert Wise's "The Haunting". And probably never will. I still think "Poltergeist" is up there with it. Also, "The Others". Can't wait for both that and "The Haunting" on BD.

or even 'The Innocents' from Fox.
Old 11-10-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Grabbed this from Netflix and it was definitely a pretty picture. I hadn't seen the film in years and it is a good one. Not that it needs to be said again, but too bad we didn't get a nice documentary on the production and the lives and deaths of the cast.
Old 11-10-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Hoping to take advantage of some Black Friday deals and enter the world of Blu-ray. "Poltergeist" is one of the first on my lists.

Has anyone compared the unconverted DVD (which I already own) PQ to the BD?
Old 11-10-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I haven't compared the 2, but I agree with everyone else, wasn't expecting anything great, but definitely surprised me. Was a really pretty picture.

I watched it while trying to count all the people who'd end up dead..
Old 11-10-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Keep your eye on Amazon.com. This dropped from $24.95 to $19.95 with no notice, then back up to $24.95. I just happen to catch it by luck when it was lowered so I purchased it. I honestly expected the picture to be just as subpar as "L.A. Confidential" or any older movie. But the PQ seriously knocked me out. It's up there with "The Thing" being the best PQ BD for a movie that old.
Old 11-11-08, 04:33 PM
Cool New Member

THE HAUNTING is Robert Wise's only saving grace for having dismantled Orson's THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS
Old 02-23-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: "Poltergeist" BD : Your thoughts?

Is the Poltergeist disc snapped into a tray, or in a sleeve in this book/case?
Old 02-23-09, 06:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Is the Poltergeist disc snapped into a tray, or in a sleeve in this book/case?
In a tray like other DigiBooks
Old 02-23-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Nothing can beat Robert Wise's "The Haunting". And probably never will. I still think "Poltergeist" is up there with it. Also, "The Others".
The Uninvited is pretty lightweight in comparison to The Haunting or The Innocents, but it's still one the better classic-period haunted house films. Inexplicably unavailable on DVD.
Old 02-25-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is one of my favorite haunting flicks, and the BD looks great. That being said, I'm still VERY bumed that they didn't include any worthwhile features. Given the production history of the film and the people involved, I was hoping for more. The booklet is very cool, though.
Old 02-25-09, 05:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
This is one of my favorite haunting flicks, and the BD looks great. That being said, I'm still VERY bumed that they didn't include any worthwhile features. Given the production history of the film and the people involved, I was hoping for more. The booklet is very cool, though.
Sad thing is there are hours and hours of features...yet the previous DVD was canned for various reasons so they never materialized here.
Old 02-25-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They should have put an extra on the disk where an arrow would point to every cast member who died.

That'd be a good use of BD-Live.
Old 02-25-09, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by profondo rossi
THE HAUNTING is Robert Wise's only saving grace for having dismantled Orson's THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS
He directed several other excellent films, including The Set-Up, Curse of the Cat People, Executive Suite and Odds Against Tomorrow.
Old 02-25-09, 07:42 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
They should have put an extra on the disk where an arrow would point to every cast member who died.

That'd be a good use of BD-Live.

That's just wrong.
Old 02-25-09, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Sad thing is there are hours and hours of features...yet the previous DVD was canned for various reasons so they never materialized here.

I know. My buddy has the fan-made 5-disc set with hours upon hours of BTS footage. Thanks for the inadvertent reminder to have him burn it for me...
Old 02-25-09, 08:25 PM
Suspended

I know. My buddy has the fan-made 5-disc set with hours upon hours of BTS footage. Thanks for the inadvertent reminder to have him burn it for me...
Ahhh man....I need a copy of that *cough*
Old 02-26-09, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
He directed several other excellent films, including The Set-Up, Curse of the Cat People, Executive Suite and Odds Against Tomorrow.
Not to mention The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Sand Pebbles, West Side Story, and (though I'm personally not a fan) The Sound of Music.

To say that "THE HAUNTING is Robert Wise's only saving grace for having dismantled Orson's THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS" is outright ridiculous considering the magnitude of his career. And the Ambersons re-edit wasn't his call at all. The studio mandated the changes, and he was the unfortunately soul who had to make them.
Old 02-26-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Ahhh man....I need a copy of that *cough*
Yeah, really *cough* *cough*
Old 03-17-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I meant to post this query months ago when I rented this title from Netflix... now, I'm considering purchasing it, but I'm concerned that the disc is missing a portion of a sequence.

Specifically, I think there may be missing footage that takes place in the scene where Diane is demonstrating the unusual phenomena in the kitchen to Steve with the chairs and Carol Ann moving across the floor, etc. Right in the middle of that scene ("the middle" at least as I recall it), there's an extremely abrupt cut to the scene where the couple is at the neighbor's door asking if he'd noticed anything funny going on. I thought... a fairly abrupt elipsis that I didn't recall from my many prior viewings? I backed up, watched it again, and it seemed to me that there was a small chunk of the film missing (a little bit from both scenes, the end of the former and the beginning of the latter). But I didn't have another version on hand to compare, and decided to bring it to the experts here... and totally forgot until now.

So, has anyone else noticed this? Again, this is the Netflix rental, which may defer from the regular release.

Last edited by Richard Malloy; 03-17-09 at 12:04 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I noticed the cut too when I watched this on TCM a few weeks back.
Old 03-18-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by big e
I noticed the cut too when I watched this on TCM a few weeks back.
But... that's not right. Or is it?

I don't want to get too far out on the limb here as I'm going totally on memory, but like many of you I watched this film about a million times when it was among the more ubiquitous movies on early cable programming. I'm all but certain we're missing a decent chunk of that scene, but I have to acknowledge that it's only you and me, big e, who seems to believe there's a problem here. And memory is just too mutable to be entirely trustworthy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.