Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Not a bad drama. Reminds me a little of Vince Vaughn movies which are a vehicl for his riff. This was for Downey's snarkey sarcasm. The only thing I didn't like was the cancer sub-plot. Having lost my father recently to cancer, it was tough to watch.

try to catch this once every summer
Old 06-05-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
A very overlooked Roman Polanski film. One of the darkest period pieces I've seen, which makes it a very interesting film.
I am a fan of Polanski's films. IMO it was good but not great and the cinematography by Geoffrey Unsworth (2001: A Space Odyssey) was beautiful. At almost 3 hours I thought it could use a trim in the editing room.

Last edited by inri222; 06-05-15 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-06-15, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Almost feel guilty re-watching something when I have so much, going back for years, that hasn't even been watched once. But then again, what's the point of buying this stuff in the first place if you can't spin them whenever the whim strikes you. While I still liked Ultron just a bit more, it's really an embarrassment of riches at this point. Civil War has huge shoes to fill.

Ep 3 "The Master Minds" from

more HD bliss. As Tim Lucas commented on his blog, HD is about detail and there's something thrilling about seeing this level of detail free from any chromatic distractions. Good ep too- an improvement over the previous one.
Old 06-06-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Taken 2. Just got Taken 3 from Netflix and will watch tonight.
Old 06-06-15, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watched:

Scarecrows
Old 06-06-15, 06:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Big Hero 6 3D...entertaining, but nothing groundbreakingly original.
Old 06-06-15, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Didn't like them showing the dog getting killed but plenty of action and revenge
Old 06-06-15, 09:34 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

John Wick...so fucking badass!!
Old 06-07-15, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

The Boy Next Door

It belongs on TV and not the theater.

The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out of Water

Spaceballs

Why did they have to put that stupid piece of paper in front of the artwork?

I removed it and the glue left a dent on the plastic.

Old 06-07-15, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

First of Caine's Harry Palmer films I've seen. It was OK. It's differences in comparison the the Bond films from the same era were really more interesting in theory than especially stimulating. I'd still like to see Funeral In Berlin which is supposed to be the best of the three films, but I've cooled quite a bit on putting any effort into seeing Billion Dollar Brain. For a "real" cold war era spy movie, Spy Who Came In From The Cold is still at the top of the list by a wide margin for me.

Star Wars from

I almost never put these in to watch start to finish anymore. Most I usually do is sample a few scenes. Since Iprcress was by design lacking in spectacle, I decided to chase it with something that used to be just pure fun. For the most part it still was- though I can't watch the SE now without chapter skipping through the Mos Eisley crap. All in all, even with some of the other less obnoxious revisions, I would find myself experiencing flashes of what it was like to digest this as a kid- when all the back story wasn't spelled out and underlined, and when my own imagination had space to breathe and could paint in the material that is only briefly alluded to. I've really missed that aspect for the last 35 years.

Ep 4 "Dial A Deadly Number" from

Just keeps getting better and better. The playful chemistry, rapid fire banter, and literate spoofing was all in place this ep. Definitely feels like the show is hitting it's stride at this point. And with every ep, I realize more and more just what a knock out Diana Rigg was in her prime.
Old 06-08-15, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Diana Rigg is pretty much the only reason anyone remembers the British Avengers.
Old 06-08-15, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

50 Shades of Grey

So billions of women fantasize about being tied up and getting beaten during sex?

Dakota Johnson though nice to look at is a terrible actress.

Old 06-08-15, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
To be fair to her and Dornan, the characters are so badly written that I'm not entirely sure that their performances are at fault. Being dominated during sex is actually a pretty common fantasy. But the way the film depicts it as this creepy abusive thing? I kind of hope not. Nice cinematography though.

Is the unrated version any spicier? I'm a notorious prude, and thought that the sex scenes in the theatrical version were pretty tame.
Old 06-08-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Hollywood has gotten far more conservative depicting sex in the past fifteen years.
Old 06-08-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a lot of tits and ass in the rated version I saw

Not sure about the unrated version. Universal as usual blocked the unrated version and bonus features in the Netflix rental.

The flying scenes were probably the only memorable movie moments and the Ellie Goulding song.
Old 06-08-15, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

L.A. Confidential - it's a goddamn masterpiece.
Old 06-09-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Voices from Marjane Satrapi the director of Persepolis.

I got it as a extra movie from Netflix though not sure why but it was alright and not as bad as I thought it would be.

I think I have seen 3 movies with Anna Kendrick in the last 2 weeks.

Old 06-10-15, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First saw this a little over ten years ago on the MGM dvd. At that time I was disappointed, finding it long, tedious, and ultimately not very satisfying. I don't know how much to chalk up to the extra decade of life experience, or if knowing in advance what not to expect made the difference, but this second viewing my attitude about it changed 180 degrees. I realize now what a legitimately great film Schlesinger made. And if anything, a decade full of vapid celebrity whores like the Hiltons and Kardashians make this film seem timeless. It's also a hell of a lot racier than I remembered it. I can imagine what a shock to the system this would have seemed in the mid sixties- especially stateside.
Another in a growing list of movies for me that amply rewarded a second look.

Trippy and imaginatively ambitious 70's B thriller from the insanely prolific Larry Cohen (been seeing his name pop up on all kinds of quality 60's TV stuff recently). While I wasn't completely blown away, I do have to admit this is one of the few movies I had absolutely no idea where it was going to go or how it would get there. Despite some grainy low light interiors, the majority of the film looks incredible. Stellar job by Blue Underground.
Old 06-10-15, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Taken 3. Not going to be gentle on this one, pretty much an example of "did not need to be made" and I liked the first 2.
Old 06-11-15, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Pacific. Yes not as good as Band of Brothers but that's a high benchmark. On it's own very good but jumped a bit too much timelinewise for me at times.
Old 06-13-15, 08:28 AM
Cool New Member

Mad Detective (Johnnie To & Wai Ka Fai, 2007)
Old 06-13-15, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dying of the Light

Paul Shrader is making movies with Nicolas Cage and Lindsay Lohan now?

I saw it back in 2008 or 2009 but it almost feels like a new movie where I forgot everything except the Michael Shannon freak out at the table.

Old 06-13-15, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nope. Was hoping that revisiting this on a decent Bd would give me a new appreciation for it, as I realize it is beloved by other monsterkids and classic horror/Hammer fans. But it still left me wanting. And despite a great, showy (2nd) entrance by Lee in the film, his part here is remarkably sparse.
Best I can say is I didn't hate it like I did the first time I saw it. Cushing is always fun to watch and there were some interesting aspects to it in theory. But the script is particularly half baked, and it will never be a 'go to' Hammer film for me.
I know there is some controversy over the color grading on this Bd, but without any A/B'ing I thought the colors looked just fine, if a little wan during the opening reels. The condition of the elements was another matter. Although there was a title card alluding to some restoration work by Warner, I can easily see why they are going with some of the sequels for their first Region A Hammer release. Good thing too, 'cause I think that at least Taste The Blood...is a better film than the original here.

Cheating wife and her lover leave her widely disliked, millionaire husband to die in the desert- trapped on a rocky ledge with a broken leg.
Sensational color noir/Men's Adventure pulp story come to life with a sublime performance (both physical and voice over) by Robert Ryan as the husband. Red Haired Rhonda Flemming is a visual knockout as the wife and the entire enterprise is made even more visceral by the restrained but highly effective use of 3D.
This is a film I saw part of long ago and it always stayed with me. I searched high and low, grabbing anything that remotely sounded like it could be it until finally last year Fox released it on MOD and I realized this was the one I was looking for. A few months later Panamint in the UK released a 3D blu-ray, and this (along with Gravity and Guardians) was enough to convince me to finally get a 3D capable projector.
There are some wonky parallax issues in the titles and a brief shot here and there. Also grain can be a little intrusive on some scenes (more so when viewed in 3D). But the better chunk of the film by far looks excellent and the 3D is used to incredible effect.
After finally seeing the whole thing again, I'd say this is easily my favorite 3D film of all time, and on the short list of my favorite Bds.

"Death At Bargain Prices" from

Great fun, as usual- with a better than average hook to the story this time.
Old 06-13-15, 07:37 PM

If we never hear from JeffTheAlpaca again it's understandable. He's probably thrown himself off a bridge or in front of a bus after watching Revolutionary Road.

fitprod
Old 06-13-15, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

F/X (really hate the forum code automatically makes them lowercase, thus I added this bit of text )

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.