Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Old 09-09-18, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,006 Likes on 841 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Hereditary...surprisingly good. Engrossing throughout. Great slow burn build to third act. Collette was amazing and I wish the Academy would see a movie like this and nominate, but elitist and although pretty successful (with foreign gross, even $44 in US on $10 budget is decent), but kinda buried in early summer. I really didn’t know anything going in and thought one of those throwaway horror movies with some kinda twist, but this was somewhat unique, effective
Spoiler:
supernatural/cult
movie. I really was into it and I haven’t been into movies too much lately. I do think Gabriel Byrne was a waste. Good, but a waste. Too old for Collette. I know he exec. produced, but could have been anyone in that role.

What was significance
Spoiler:
of heads cut off? Just bc Charlie’s, the bird, was chopped off, Annie had to as well? Which was a pretty sick scene and even though just saw beginnngs, hearing it in background was very effective. Or was the heads off thing just a ritual to summon Paimon into male body or was that Paimon’s doing?

Anyway, very well done.

Probably 3.75 to 4 stars.
Old 09-10-18, 03:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 788 Likes on 640 Posts

Too bad. Premise looks cool. TRailer looks cool. Teresa Palmer is hot as fuck just breathing. She doesn't even have to say anything. Too bad the reviews are scathing.
You won't miss anything if you skip it.

I don't get all the love for McCarthy. She is funny sometimes.

The movie needed more scenes with Gillian Jacobs.

Alicia Silverstone at the peak of her hotness way back in 1995. Still funny after all these years.
Old 09-10-18, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

My 10th grade English teacher recommended this to me. After 35 years I finally got around to checking it out.

He was right. Wonderful movie and fun to see a youthful Terrence Stamp in a role polar opposite to Zod.
I was a little underwhelmed with Robert Ryan's character at first, but the more I reflect he's actually a much more human, and nuanced antagonist than we usually get in situations like this.
Films since have had to amp up the cruelty to leave an impression, but what's here serves the story and the ending still leaves an impact.

(US Version)
After hearing nothing but raves for it, I walked away disappointed.

The first act was great. Somewhere in the middle of the second act it seemed to lose it's way, and the third act was all about setting up the inevitable climactic confrontation, yet it still seemed forced.
Could be that the US version gutted the plot, removing a lot of connective tissue that might have made events and character behavior transition more smoothly.
I'll give it a shot in another five year or so and watch the International cut.

I will say, the film had style to spare. The film is directed with a ton of verve. Looking back, the US version had to have been butchered because the mise-en-scène is just too well done to suggest the overarching narrative could have been so sloppily conceived.

Stranglers Of Bombay from

Great movie whose climax unfortunately hinges on a lame, sentimental turn by one of the characters that is totally false. Not enough to kill it, because the rest of the film is of almost a consistently high standard, but it does take it down a notch or two. If not for that, I'd probably say this was one of the two or three best Hammer films they ever made.

This set was a total, incautious impulse purchase based on how highly I think of the other Indicator sets and releases. Had no intention to pick this up at all when it was announced, and so far I'm really glad I did. I may even fast track the rest of them now.

Wasn't too impressed when I first saw it on the AB DVD about 15 years ago. This time I enjoyed it a lot more, but that was almost all due to the excellence of the presentation, both aurally and visually. I may enjoy it even more on a subsequent viewing because I'll remember more clearly that it isn't a plot or character driven story at all, just a mood piece.

It was laughable to me how abruptly this ends, but I can't deny the big takeaway. My eyes and ears were almost constantly dazzled the whole time.

Part of the fun was the anticipation that more profound things were going to transpire than actually did, but for some reason I still exited it not feeling cheated. I guess that's a compliment to how well Argento crafted it, as well as how much TLC Don May Jr put into reviving it for this release.

No regrets I didn't wait for the cheaper regular edition, but I was bummed to find a scratch I hadn't noticed before on the case when I was putting it away.
Old 09-11-18, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dated Martin Ritt soap/sociological expose about four households in one of the glut of subdivisions in Southern California circa the mid '50's at a time of increasing affluence and anxiety.

Dated doesn't usually bother me, as that's one of the big charms of this kind of material. However It does make for some eyerolls and can often result in otherwise feeble resolutions to conflicts, which this has in abundance.

Still, I enjoyed soaking in a fantasy of days gone by and seeing a nice ensemble cast that ranged from Tony Randall playing a gregarious alcoholic to Joanne Woodward playing the equivalent of transplanted Southern trailer trash. Pat Hingle, who has always made for a menacing heavy to me, has a wonderfully atypical part.

OSS 117: Mission For A Killer from

Got less than an hour into it before I had to pack it in. Was starting to get tired and there was almost nothing about this - yet another uninspired French produced Bond pastiche - that was remotely intriguing.
Maybe the presence of Mylene Demongeot, who I find fetching, but the character is a fairly uninteresting tag-along.

The story concerns the hero tracking down a flower native to Brazil, that is being used to create a serum involved in brainwashing subjects into performing suicidal terrorist acts. The usual '60's spy hi-jinks ensue, albeit with a lot less verve and imagination than the Broccoli/Saltzman Bonds of the time.

I found the change in lead from Kerwin Matthews to Fredrick Stafford a poor swap, and I already hadn't been impressed with Matthews. Since he's also the lead in the next installment, it looks like I'm going to have to muscle through the rest of the set. I'll have to finish this one first though.

At least the Rio locations made for a visually appealing travelogue backdrop.
Old 09-12-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished up
OSS 117: Mission For A Killer from

The second half was better than the first, slightly. The change in setting from Rio to smaller rural towns and the interior jungle villain HQ. There was also a short climax in rushing rapids at the edge of some magnificent waterfalls.

The totality of the film was still, by the numbers, watered down Bond.

Presentation of the film was excellent though, with a sharp, highly detailed 2.35:1 image with a fine sheen of grain. Audio, filled with French ADR, sounded good as well.

I know some people have expressed disappointment with this, and claim it's ruined with DNR. I think they're nuts.

The disc looked gorgeous and highly resolved to me, and any evidence of NR I saw was more me trying to find fault with the image, which is a ridiculous and self defeating way to enjoy anything.

This has been a favorite film since seeing it at the theater back in '81, and Universal's most recent effort is simply the best experience I've had watching this at home, ever.

I forget what the beef is that most of those same people have with the 5.1 track. Like the image, I found it wonderfully done and clean, crisp, and immersive without being distracting.

As a fan, I'm thrilled to finally have the movie, in this condition, in my collection.
Old 09-14-18, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was ok
Old 09-14-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Upgrade. Meh. Not as good as I had heard, but it was a pretty solid movie. I can't remember the name of the actor but I thought he was great (I remember him from Prometheus). He's got a good future. It had some Blade Runner overtones...A decent sci-fi movie, with some pretty gory scenes...

Bonnie's Kids. Pretty decent B-movie. Starts off awfully slow, but picks up around the half-hour mark. Overall enjoyable, but nothing to write home about.

Black Christmas. The original. It was snowing here last night, so I decided to watch a "snowy" movie. I love this one. Just a classic. The score, the direction, the acting...it's just immaculate...I love Margot Kidder in this. Bob Clark did a helluva job...One of my favorite slasher movies of all time...

The King of Marvin Gardens. One of the last films I had yet to watch from the Criterion BBS Boxset that came out several years ago. Bruce Dern was the standout in this one, although he definitely had the more showy role than Nicholson (and yes, I'm aware that they basically swapped roles just before the movie was produced, with Jack playing the much more subdued character). Pretty slow-moving at times, but the ending is a one heckuva a kicker. You probably won't see it coming. More of a great acting showcase as opposed to a great movie...But well worth watching...At least once...The actresses were also very good in this, with the standout being Ellen Burstyn...

The only movie I have left to watch in the boxset is Henry Jaglom's A Safe Place...Might check that out tonight...
Old 09-14-18, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sugar Hill. Not a very good Blaxploitation movie. Involves zombies and gangsters but it just never comes together. Some of the shots are interesting, but overall I thought the movie was a waste of time. That said, the Olive Blu-Ray did look pretty decent. Just wish the movie was better.
Old 09-14-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Curtains. This movie gets a lot of props from horror-movie aficionados but left me cold. It was mediocre, at best. The plot was pretty stupid, and not compelling at all. The killer was ridiculous. John Vernon was pretty much the only good thing in this movie. While I loved the wintry setting, I don't think I'll ever sit through this again. Just a garbage slasher movie.
Old 09-14-18, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In honor of Burt. Look at my car and you can see this is one of my top faves of all time.

My first time seeing this on Blu versus the HD DVD. A September tradition

Cute due to the charm and chemistry of the leads. Nothing uproarious but pleasant enough for a rental.
Old 09-15-18, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tess. I usually love Polanski, but this movie sucked. Just three hours I wish I could get back. This movie sucks.
Old 09-15-18, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was ok but maybe just me I don't see what the big fuss is about and it was a average movie to me.
Old 09-15-18, 07:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 392 Likes on 258 Posts

After watching a DVD this evening, we re-watched the last episode of Falling Skies (S1) in preparation of watching S2: Eight Hours.
Old 09-16-18, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Homesman. Pretty decent movie directed by Tommy Lee Jones, albeit not nearly as good as his debut, The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada. Hillary Swank is good in this, and it has some good supporting turns by James Spader and John Lithgow, amongst others...Decent Western...

Gang War in Milan. Pretty good Italian gangster movie by Umberto Lenzi. I enjoyed this one. All about a guy running prostitutes that eventually turns to running narcotics. An okay movie...
Old 09-16-18, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

It was ok but maybe just me I don't see what the big fuss is about and it was a average movie to me.
Those were my thoughts, too. I thought the movie was okay, but don't get the hype. I also have issues with the whole pregnancy thing, and how she didn't scream and attract the predators. But oh well...
Old 09-16-18, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Monster House. Love this animated movie, and Steve Buscemi kicks ass in it. The CGI is great, the storyline is terrific...A very good, and underrated movie...

G.I. Joe: The Movie. Love this movie more and more. Still have a ton of action figures from the movie...Just a great story...Glad they didn't kill Duke...My favorite character is still Tunnel Rat (and yes, I have the action figure)...I love the opening sequence, and love the main theme, when it kicks in...
Old 09-16-18, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm the only one in my family that likes this movie. Has it's flaws sure, but the visuals and sound are just so cool. The 4K is amazing.
Old 09-16-18, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ I like it too. No complaints about the action/cliche ending either. To me it was straight out of the "blow up the shark" school of storytelling.

That was an iffy blind buy that paid off beautifully for me. I've had it in the on deck pile, ready to watch it again for a while now.
Old 09-16-18, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Way too long
Old 09-16-18, 08:27 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester

I'm the only one in my family that likes this movie. Has it's flaws sure, but the visuals and sound are just so cool. The 4K is amazing.
Originally Posted by Paul_SD
^ I like it too. No complaints about the action/cliche ending either. To me it was straight out of the "blow up the shark" school of storytelling.

That was an iffy blind buy that paid off beautifully for me. I've had it in the on deck pile, ready to watch it again for a while now.
You're not alone. We liked it too. I'd bought it without having seen it or knowing a whole lot about it, I just thought it would be good and I wasn't disappointed.

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched the first episode of Falling Skies (S2): Homecoming.
Old 09-17-18, 01:06 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched 2 episodes of Falling Skies (S2) while we ate dinner: Shall We Gather at the River and Compass.
Old 09-17-18, 08:34 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

After watching a DVD this evening, we watched an episode of Falling Skies (S2): Young Bloods.
Old 09-18-18, 12:18 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched 2 episodes of Falling Skies (S2) while we ate dinner: Love and Other Acts of Courage and Homecoming.
Old 09-18-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 181 Posts

New 4K tv (Vizio P75-F1) so working through stockpile of UHD movies. Braveheart - still a great epic in my opinion and even better in 4K.
Old 09-19-18, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Decided to make my way through the Raro Video Fernando di Leo Blu-Ray Boxset (Part One) I picked up a while back...So far...

Caliber 9. Easily the best movie in the set. Very cool gangster movie about an ex-con that recently got out of prison, but his former mob associates are still after him cause they believe that he stole some $300 000 before he was locked up. Lionel Stander is outstanding in this...Great gem...

The Italian Connection. Woody Strode and Henry Silva are awesome as a pair of American hitmen sent to Italy to execute a pimp. Lots of interesting twists and turns, and the actor who plays the pimp is fantastic. Highly recommended. I can't believe di Leo made this and the prior movie in the same year (1972).

The Boss. The director again reteams with Henry Silva. A mob war is going on, so there's lots of twists and turns, and lots of betrayals. Just another great movie, although I felt that this was slightly the weakest of the three.

Glad I finally got around to watching di Leo's movies...I'm probably going to check out the second boxset tomorrow, but right now I'm finishing the last movie in the first boxset, starring Jack Palance...called Rulers of the City...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.