Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Bought this early on, when Fox titles were still around the $30 level. Finally got around to watching it.
Kind of heartbreaking to see how talented Turner was in her prime. She aced playing a smoldering femme fatale, and she was just as adept at comedy.
Great movie and still my favorite cliffhange/adventure film of 1984 by a large margin!

a mini binge of

A lot of stuff happened that looked like it was heading in the right direction, and then they meet the junkyard contingent and cut an inane deal and all I can do is roll my eyes.

Will probably binge on this again soon just so I can finish it and make space on the active shelf for something else.
Old 05-01-18, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Cape Fear. The original from 1962. Great movie all around, with Mitchum perfect as Max Cady, and Gregory Peck good as the lawyer. That said, I'm still one of the few that actually ranks Scorsese's remake a bit higher than this...I just thought Scorsese's film was awesomely over-acted and I loved all the crazy effects he used to get the skies to look all sorts of different colours...And I liked how he maintained the score...Storywise, there's a ton of differences between the movies, but I'd say both are pretty great...Plus, Scorsese's version inspired one of the best Simpsons episodes of all time, Cape Feare...

Last edited by Goonies85; 05-01-18 at 09:02 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 05-01-18, 09:09 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Watched Black Swan this evening. Not a bad movie, just not quite what I was expecting (more crazy).
Old 05-01-18, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kd5
Watched Black Swan this evening. Not a bad movie, just not quite what I was expecting (more crazy).
Much better than his latest, mother!...I won't spoil anything, but if you haven't seen that one yet, and thought Black Swan was a little "crazy," just be prepared...One of the most bonkers movies I have ever sat through...The movie is extremely divisive...
Old 05-02-18, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Graceland. Wow. Great Filipino movie from 2012. The Drafthouse Blu-Ray release is great. I won't go into details, but the plot basically involves a kidnapping and one father's quest to get his daughter back. Lots of twists and turns that you don't see coming, and it comes in at a lean 84 minutes. This is another Blu-Ray I've owned for a couple of years and I'm really glad I finally got around to watching it...Just a great, dark crime movie...I loved it...
Old 05-02-18, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Foxy Brown. Great Pam Grier flick from 1974. She's tremendous in this, and Sid Haig has a nice, albeit small, role. Wish the Olive Release had some bonus features, but the picture looks good enough...And I had no idea how much this movie influenced Superbad...The opening title sequences are very similar, and some of the score might have even been used in Superbad...Just a really good movie...Watching Black Mama, White Mama next...
Old 05-02-18, 04:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched the AIP English dub from

A little creaky (and shrill), but holds up well considering how many other movies in the fifty plus years since have pillaged it's basic set up. I can just imagine how effective this must have been at the time, and what an impression it must have left on those "over fourteen" viewers.
It's also a good master class in how to squeeze the most out of a limited budget.

I haven't researched this, but I would swear that's George Voskovic dubbing the older doctor.

I have very fond memories of being stuck with a friend in a motel outside of Perry, Georgia for a couple weeks while we were working a gig there. We didn't go to work until late in the afternoon and we'd lay around watching HBO all morning. We must have seen this like 4 times over the couple weeks, and it kept our attention every single time.

Hadn't revisited it since, till now, and it was every bit as entertaining as it was 21 years ago. Hanks was smart not to use his directing shot to make "The Great American Movie" and instead just made a great American movie.

No doubt the era depicted was his personal Golden Age, and it has a solid eye and ear for period detail.
It's also fun seeing bit parts being essayed by nobodies at the time who are now more well known/regarded than any of the leads- save for Hanks himself.
Old 05-02-18, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Black Mama White Mama. Very effective Pam Grier B-movie. Basically a chicks-on-the-run flick. I found it enjoyable. And Sid Haig is in this one too (he seems to specialize in playing the sleaziest of all characters...and he's damn good at it)...Anyway, liked Foxy Brown a tad bit more, but this was pretty entertaining...And the Arrow Blu-Ray looked pretty good...And I was surprised at the sometimes copious amount of nudity in this movie...I didn't expect that going into it...
Old 05-04-18, 05:00 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

We watched Batman Begins and The Dark Knight the last couple of evenings, we started watching The Dark Knight Rises while we ate dinner earlier, we'll finish it up tonight...

Old 05-05-18, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

It happened one year before I was born but I never heard of this story until yesterday.

It would be nice to see if they did a cut with Kevin Spacey as J Paul Getty but that would probably never happened.

I assumed Ridley Scott destroyed all of that footage he shot with Spacey?
Old 05-06-18, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sullivan's Travels. Pretty good Preston Sturges movie. The Criterion Blu-Ray looked great, and there's a bounty of good extras. I enjoyed the movie.
Old 05-06-18, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Earthquake. Meh. Lesser disaster movie. Took way too long to get to the main event...And the movie was too long, in general...Some good acting by Heston, but most of the movie was pretty forgettable...I could've sworn I saw a much better TV movie about an earthquake in L.A. that was released sometime in the mid-90s...Picture quality on the Blu-Ray is okay...But there's many disaster movies I would rate higher than this (i.e. Dante's Peak, The Towering Inferno, 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, Avalanche, etc.)...The only disaster movie that I can think of that I like less than this one would be San Andreas, which I thought was horrible...Except for whoever played The Rock's daughter...She was cool...

Last edited by Goonies85; 05-06-18 at 01:41 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 05-06-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I am in the minority but I liked the first movie better.

It was a showcase for Hugh Grant.

Warner Bros could have done new cover artwork for the Blu-ray instead of just repeating the art of the first release but with Paddington holding a "2"

Spoiler:
Paddington was in jail for most of the movie which ruined the fun.
Old 05-07-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Much better that what I expected and the songs were not that bad.

Zac Efron was tolerable in this movie.

Jackman is the only guy that could play this role.
Old 05-07-18, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it better the first time I saw it.

No closed captions which sucked.
Old 05-09-18, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tremors 6: A Cold Day In Hell. Big fan of the series (except Part 4), but I thought this was just awful. Had a lot of potential, but was just bad. Michael Gross is still good in his role and has his moments, but the script was terrible. And the special effects were pretty bad, even for a DTV movie...
Old 05-09-18, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

X-Men: Apocalypse. Wow, might even be worse than X-Men: The Last Stand. Despite a formidable cast, I thought this was awful. I wouldn't necessarily blame the cast, I would more so blame the writing. But, Oscar Isaac was brutal. Not even sure why they would hire an actor of his caliber for such a stupid role (he was covered in so much make-up it could've been just about anyone playing that role). And again, while I think it was mostly the fault of the writing, I could not stand Sophie Turner (as Jean Grey) or Tye Sheridan (as Scott Summers)...Even Fassbender (one of my favorite actors) seemed to just float through the movie...The only saving grace, in my mind, was Nicholas Hoult's portrayal of the Beast...I've grown to be a big fan of his and thought he was good...But I should also say that I thought Rose Byrne and James McAvoy were awful...

The movie isn't even a tenth as good as the previous one...And it is lightyears away from the best film in the series, X2: X-Men United...
Old 05-09-18, 09:15 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched the first part of the Maze Runner trilogy in preparation of watching part 3...

Old 05-10-18, 08:48 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials ths evening...

Old 05-11-18, 08:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Maze Runner: The Death Cure this evening. Good trilogy...

Followed it with the 1st episode of Grimm (S1): Pilot.
Old 05-12-18, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looked and sounded how you would expect a new release to look and sound. After seeing a bit of SPR in 4K, I still would have liked to see this get the 4K treatment.
Old 05-12-18, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of those films that I always got mixed up with Jackson County Jail, and a few other three word title drive-in exploitation films from the mid seventies.

I had hopes this would be a cut above most of those, and it was. Very simple narrative, but tension is eeked out well from the simplest scenes. While it hurtles toward a confrontation that we can see coming midway through, the way it resolves was, for me, nicely unanticipated.

In some ways it reminded me of a Charles (Town that Dreaded Sundown, Evictors) Pierce film with the regional period setting and the text based character updates at the end.

I liked this one- a lot.
Old 05-12-18, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was ok but nothing really special.

Maybe I should visit the Winchester House since it is local and only a freeway away.

It came with the DVD for "The Shop Around the Corner" something I will never watch.
Old 05-13-18, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This was an excellent little surprise...a mash-up Heist/Horror film that actually works:

Very well made on all fronts.
Old 05-13-18, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Resident Evil Retribution Blu Ray

Really love these films. Total guilty pleasure. Beyond that, the commentary tracks on these flicks are fantastic. Anyone else agree?

Last edited by Umbrella_Ops; 05-13-18 at 11:28 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.