Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Last BD (or, unrealistically, HD DVD) you watched?

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (1987)
Old 03-14-18, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
Old 03-14-18, 03:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Shape of Water

Wow, this was much quirkier than I thought it would be. Definitely a Coen Brothers vibe going on. I also really like the theory that
Spoiler:
Elisa is or was related to the Amphibian Man. She dreams of being underwater, seems to like having sex (with herself at first) underwater, and her scars are vestigial gills.
Very cool movie.

Last edited by popegregFKAgoblin23; 03-14-18 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

After seeing the reboot yesterday I was anxious to see this again after probably a decade since I'd seen it. I can't compare either to the video game since I never played it. I think I like the Jolie version a bit better as entertainment although neither can be called high art. The picture and sound is everything you would expect from 4K. I did not spin the BR for comparison but it was an improvement over the HD DVD it replaced. BB was kind enough to send me both of these and not charge me for them so I'll have to make sure they're on my Christmas card for next year.
Old 03-17-18, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thor: Ragnarok 4K; As others have mentioned, a fun movie and even my wife liked it!
Old 03-17-18, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master (1988)
I watched the entire series for the first time a few weeks ago. What did you think of Parts 3 and 4?
Old 03-17-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by goblin23
I need to see more of his stuff. Stronger didn't look like my kind of movie but I'll give it a try.
Prince Avalanche was also a good, funny, quirky movie he did. Stars Paul Rudd (a personal favorite) and Emile Hirsch...Very unique movie...You might like it...

Last edited by Goonies85; 03-17-18 at 03:24 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-17-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 730 Likes on 595 Posts

From the director of the Lobster
Old 03-18-18, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rawhead Rex (1987)
Old 03-18-18, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had completely forgotten about this movie having only seen it once on DVD way back when the DVD was released. It was like seeing it for the first time again. A decent follow up to the first but more gimmick laden. Felt more like a female James Bond than an Indiana Jones.

The 4K presentation was beautiful. Perfect video. The audio I found troubling. It was one of those discs where I couldn't find a proper balance between the dialogue and the effects. Either the dialogue was too soft for comfortable listening or the gunfire and explosions were way too loud.
Old 03-18-18, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

AIP's interesting, if unsuccessful attempt at dark satire of the youth culture at the height of the Viet-nam war.
An early twenties charismatic (supposedly) pop star/entrepreneur turns the tables on a youth courting politician, and uses his newfound political clout to get the voting age lowered to 15.

You can tell the filmmakers were grasping for something that was too far beyond their reach.

5th(?) ep from

As has been the case for the last four seasons or so, the further I get into the season, the more I enjoy it.
The first ep of the season was unremittingly brutal (as it needed to be, I guess). Thankfully they (haven't yet) used the introduction of Negan into the series as simply an excuse to wallow in mean spirited cruelty every episode.
Old 03-18-18, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goonies85
I watched the entire series for the first time a few weeks ago. What did you think of Parts 3 and 4?
I love Dream Warriors. Not a big fan of The Dream Master.

Even though The Dream Master has the first death scene that I remember as a kid in the NOES Series, the cast is a bit forgettable even though everything surrounding them is visually interesting.
Old 03-18-18, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It lived up to the hype.

I have not had so many LOL moments watching a movie in a long time.

Maybe I will reduce my hate for Dave Franco now.

It would have been cool if they added "The Room" the full length movie as a bonus feature on the Blu-ray.
Old 03-18-18, 08:44 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 376 Likes on 254 Posts

Started watching the movies in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in order according to this list. We don't have any of the spin-off series, just the major motion pictures. Started with Captain America: The First Avenger...

Old 03-19-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Second time viewing and you forget that is Steve Carrell playing the creep John Du Pont.
Old 03-19-18, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, Tonya. Pretty good, but didn't live up to the hype. Not sure about the nominations it got...Margot Robbie was good...her mother was even better...But all in all I thought it was just okay...

The Disaster Artist. Wow. I don't know...James Franco was really good...Dave Franco was great...I loved all of the little cameos that were strewn throughout the movie...Just didn't think it was as great as people made it out to be...Still well-worth watching (that's not to say I actually want to watch the original "The Room"...but it was good)...

The Strangers. Bought the new Scream Factory release. Wasn't that impressed...There's been much better home invasion movies, in my mind...Surprised this got hyped as the "10th Anniversary Release"...It was okay...

The Late Shift. Rewatched the HBO DVD Release. Have always liked this movie...Letterman vs. Leno...Good, compelling movie...

Watching The Shape of Water later on tonight...
Old 03-19-18, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Shape of Water. Wow. Wow. Loved this movie. Not a die-hard del Toro fan, but I feel this is easily his best (yes, even better than Pan's Labyrinth...While it's still not my favorite of last year (thus far, I still have several movies I need to watch), the only ones that I feel are better are T2 Trainspotting, Stronger, Last Flag Flying, Good Time, and Three Billboards...But this movie still surprised me...Didn't expect much from it but it was great...Sally Hawkins, Richard Jenkins, and Octavia Spencer were phenomenal...Would highly recommend...
Old 03-20-18, 08:20 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched The Incredible Hulk (BD+DVD+DHD LE Steelbook) this evening...

Old 03-21-18, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Late Shift. Rewatched the HBO DVD Release. Have always liked this movie...Letterman vs. Leno...Good, compelling movie...
They should make a Leno vs Conan movie.
Old 03-22-18, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
They should make a Leno vs Conan movie.
They really should. The book it would be based on would be "The War Over Late Night"...which was by the same writer that wrote "The Late Shift"...Both books are fantastic...
Old 03-22-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finally watched Identity, from 2003. Great cast (Liotta, Cusack, Amanda Peet, McGinley, John Hawkes)...pretty solid mystery/thriller with a couple of twists...You could kind of see where it was going about 45 minutes into the movie, but nevertheless it kind of compels you to stay with it to the end...Overall a pretty decent movie...

Dying of the Light. Directed by Paul Schrader, starring Nicholas Cage...I know this didn't get the greatest reviews when it was released (and I believe Schrader almost disowned it, saying the movie was essentially taken out of his hands at some point), but I actually enjoyed it. I love Schrader movies and I thought Cage gave a good performance...If anyone is curious, they should check this out...

Dog Eat Dog. Another Schrader movie starring Cage, this time paired with Willem Dafoe. Loved this movie. Ultra-violent, and Cage and Dafoe give it their all...Cage is especially unhinged...A thoroughly enjoyable movie...Hope Schrader has another couple movies up his sleeve with Nic Cage...

London Has Fallen. A friend of mine made me sit through this dreck. I hated it...I thought the original had it's moments (and felt it was superior to White House Down), but this one was abysmal...At least the first one seemed at least semi-realistic at times...This one just had way to many moments where I was just rolling my eyes...

Also checked out the DVDs of Budd Boetticher's Decision at Sundown and Ride Lonesome. Solid westerns. Hopefully someone releases them in Region A, as I heard that they're soon coming to the UK...
Old 03-22-18, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Driller Killer. Did not like. Only for Ferrara completists. Really grungy, grindhouse-type movie that simply isn't very good. I guess everyone has to start somewhere...I think this was his second movie...His follow-up, Ms. 45, was much, much better...And I have to say while I love Ferrara as a director, I can't really stand him as an actor...
Old 03-22-18, 08:32 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Watched Thor this evening...

Old 03-22-18, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Atom Egoyan's Remember. As a lot of Egoyan's more recent movies have been hit or miss for me, I wasn't expecting much from this...which is a great way to begin watching this movie because it was FANTASTIC. I couldn't believe a movie starring Martin Landau and Christopher Plummer could be sooooo good...Lots of interesting little twists, and the movie is gripping from start to finish...Great plot...And Plummer was really, really great...I don't want to spoil the ending but it was awesome...Very, very memorable movie...Wish this got a lot more hype when it was released in 2015...And I'm ashamed this sat on my shelf for a couple of years before I took the time to watch it...I plan on showing this to some buddies over the weekend to see what they think of it...
Old 03-23-18, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dominion: Prequel to the Exorcist. Not that bad. Decent movie. Little bit of dodgy CGI, but aside from that it was an enjoyable way to spend two hours...Wouldn't highly recommend, but if it's on TV, you could do much worse...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.