Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Steelbooks...Why the interest?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Steelbooks...Why the interest?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Steelbooks are the new Criterion Collection.

Old 10-30-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clappj
Steelbooks are the new Criterion Collection.

I know you're joking, but it certainly is a similar concept to some.
Old 10-30-08, 09:28 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There's just something about metal vs. plastic. The Bond steelbooks are pretty darn cool. I don't think I'd go out of my way and pay a lot extra for a steelbook version, but given close to equal prices I'll choose the steelbook each time.
Old 10-31-08, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CAUSE THEY'RE MADE OF METAL!! It's AWESOME!!
Old 10-31-08, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by droidguy1119
CAUSE THEY'RE MADE OF METAL!! It's AWESOME!!
Apparently.
I just sold my Boondock Saints Steelbook for $40 on ebay. I think I paid $10 for it.
Now I'm goint to use that money to buy some non-steelbook, but much better quality Blu-Rays
Old 10-31-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't get the fuss around them either. It's just packaging.
Old 10-31-08, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Agreed. Just more landfill.
So you think people are paying premium prices for these steel books and then tossing them in the trash huh?
Old 10-31-08, 07:35 PM

its not the 1930s, there's a thing called 'choice.' if there are 4 different editions of the same movie why not buy the one you like most?
Old 11-01-08, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as pricing, the new Bond BD Steelbooks at BB are currently the same price as the standard BD release. For Dr. No:

BD Standard: $29.99
BD Steelbook: $29.99

Edited on 11/2/08 to reflect updated pricing

Last edited by seymouru; 11-02-08 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-01-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by piecez
its not the 1930s, there's a thing called 'choice.' if there are 4 different editions of the same movie why not buy the one you like most?
You are taking this to the extreme. Not a single post in here did anyone say not to buy the steelbook. Some (I for one) just don't get the "obsession" with them.

Guys in the what are you buying this week thread, literally buy regular editions of DVDs, AND the steelbooks as well, or buy any standard DVD versions of steelbooks from other regions, which cost a TON, not caring at all about the PQ quality or content of the actual film. I just think there are some here like me, that simply love film, and prefer to spend the monry on the best PQ & audio as possible of a film, to share w/ friends & family, rather than shell out massive amounts of money (which people here do), simply for the packaging of a film that just sits on a shelf.
Old 11-01-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,277 Likes on 851 Posts
Note that not everyone who likes/buys steelbooks falls into the extreme or obsessed category.
Old 11-02-08, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Sessa17
You are taking this to the extreme. Not a single post in here did anyone say not to buy the steelbook. Some (I for one) just don't get the "obsession" with them.

Guys in the what are you buying this week thread, literally buy regular editions of DVDs, AND the steelbooks as well, or buy any standard DVD versions of steelbooks from other regions, which cost a TON, not caring at all about the PQ quality or content of the actual film. I just think there are some here like me, that simply love film, and prefer to spend the monry on the best PQ & audio as possible of a film, to share w/ friends & family, rather than shell out massive amounts of money (which people here do), simply for the packaging of a film that just sits on a shelf.
Yes, nobody said not to buy steelbooks, but this thread is about not understanding why people buy steelbooks... i think its a bit of a silly question really.

There are people who like slip cases, lenticular cases, double disc editions etc.. some people like different things. why? well why do people collect buttons? stamps? coins etc... there is something about them they like.

I do agree though, buying multiple editions of the same dvd is illogical. i think a lot of people buy the steelbooks with the intention of selling them in the future.. why else would you buy a dvd and keep it sealed?

People have different motives for buying a dvd, not just to watch the film. A person might really like the film but want the 'best' version of that film. And i agree with the above comment, not everybody who buys steelbooks falls into the 'obsessed' category. like i said before, if there are multiple editions of a certain dvd available, why not buy the one you like most?
Old 11-02-08, 09:04 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by piecez
There are people who like slip cases, lenticular cases, double disc editions etc.. some people like different things. why? well why do people collect buttons? stamps? coins etc... there is something about them they like.
Non-collectors will never understand collectors. /End thread.

But seriously, people are entitled to their opinions/obsessions/collections.

I collect exclusives, often buying multiple of the same film. You might call it silly, fine. Buying books that are free to read at the library is silly. Spending time and money collecting stamps that you're never going to mail is silly. I think anyone that spends money at Starbucks is crazy. We all spend money that others will think is "a waste".

All hobbies/pursuits are as valid as others. You may think you're more "pure" because you only buy/watch quality films and don't care about packaging. Nope, the person who collects steelbooks and never watches the films is just as valid and "pure" as you. The person that loves low budget trashy movies is just as valid as the Criterion collector.

But personally, I think steelbooks are kind of silly.
Old 11-02-08, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was hard-core interested in Steelbook pkg for about a month. I even made a "Steelbook" section in my DVD shelves. But then I realized how many titles there are around the world, so collecting all of them is impossible for my budget. And then I ran into the problem of no matter how critical I am inspecting my SB in the store, when I buy them and get them home, there are always slight imperfections that annoy me. The packaging is very fragile, even for the most careful collector.

So now I'm just buying SB's if the price is right. But I'm not collecting them anymore. I do understand the attraction, though. They are really cool cases. I have three copies of Death Proof just because of alternate package art (SB included). I more collect movie packages in general.
Old 11-02-08, 11:35 AM

personally, i really like steelbooks. i just like the design. if i want a dvd and it has a steelbook edition, i will buy that edition over the standard plastic one.

I don't buy random films i have absolutely no interest in though. i have however, bought a couple of dvds that i otherwise wouldn't have got if they weren't steelbook (iron man and transformers). I made these exceptions for their art/design. i think steelbooks are nice objects. not just dvds.

I have 'double dipped' one one or two of my fav films.. its not something i want to get into the habit of doing.

I have imported steelbook editions that aren't available in the uk. i agree with the above comment though, there are too many steelbooks now to consider collecting them all.. unless you have the money. so i just buy the films i really like.