Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray release announcements - Part III

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray release announcements - Part III

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-08, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re. Pineapple Express - jan 6

Source: http://www.releaselists.com/BLURAYNorthAmerica.html
Old 10-26-08, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for posting that. Damn, that sucks. The Pineapple Express came out in the theatre a week before Tropic Thunder yet is coming out on blu-ray 7 weeks after it.
Old 10-26-08, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Re. Pineapple Express - jan 6

Source: http://www.releaselists.com/BLURAYNorthAmerica.html
Wow...what a late date. Guess Sony does not want people with gift cards money.
Old 10-26-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Wow...what a late date. Guess Sony does not want people with gift cards money.
Huh, not really following you. That would be perfect time for people with gift card money. People are most likely to spend all their gift cards within the first month after Christmas and this release date is a couple of weeks after Christmas so I see no issue there.
Old 10-26-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
They have to save something for January.
Old 10-27-08, 12:02 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Huh, not really following you. That would be perfect time for people with gift card money. People are most likely to spend all their gift cards within the first month after Christmas and this release date is a couple of weeks after Christmas so I see no issue there.
Really? Mine are gone within the first week!
Old 10-27-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also on January 6, The Wackness, the other great stoner film of 2008, hits Blu-ray. If you didn't see this, do yourself a favor and see it as soon as it streets. IMO one of the most underrated, overlooked films of the decade, one that has every right to a handful of awards or nominations but will probably go unnoticed this year.
Old 10-27-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^great news on The Wackness.

Listed at DVDEmpire

Space Buddies - 2/3
The Women - 12/23
Swing Vote - 1/13
El Norte (Criterion) - 1/20
Old 10-27-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jeff Kleist of the Digital Bits posted on blu-ray.com the other day that the Bourne Trilogy will not be released this year. And he thinks the earliest we'll see that set is Christmas '09, but they may hold it until the 4th film is released.

Old 10-27-08, 10:28 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Jeff Kleist of the Digital Bits posted on blu-ray.com the other day that the Bourne Trilogy will not be released this year. And he thinks the earliest we'll see that set is Christmas '09, but they may hold it until the 4th film is released.

That along with the Adam Sandler collection have been pushed back to next year. The only Universal catalog titles left is Jarhead, The Kingdom and Fearless. That leaves two other titles still in limbo.
Old 10-27-08, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That along with the Adam Sandler collection have been pushed back to next year. The only Universal catalog titles left is Jarhead, The Kingdom and Fearless. That leaves two other titles still in limbo.
8 Mile also.

I'm hoping King Kong will still make an appearance, but I would say we won't get it until sometime in '09.
Old 10-27-08, 10:44 AM
Suspended

8 Mile also.

I'm hoping King Kong will still make an appearance, but I would say we won't get it until sometime in '09.
It won't. Specs were suppose to be released last week for Mamma Mia and that still has yet to come out. So far two catalog titles remain with a placeholder date of the day after Christmas. I really hope one of them makes it because I'll gladly replace my HD DVD copy with that Blu-ray.

Edit: And yeah, 8 Mile got pushed to next year. Universal went the entire year with not releasing a new catalog title on Blu-ray.
Old 10-27-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No offense but having been on the losing side of the format war, the only satisfaction I have is that I already have a bunch of movies not out on Blu. Don't get me wrong, this is not about being vindictive, this is about having so many movies I want on Blu that if I already have them on HD it does me no good so I'd rather see the resources going toward totally new releases.
Old 10-27-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I happen to own all three Bourne flicks in HD-DVD, but that doesn't mean I'd rather have Universal release three other films in Blu instead. I realize that, um, there are people out there who DON'T own these in 1080p.. and they have as much a right to own them as I do.

Yes, it'd be great for Universal to release their entire catalog by New Year's Day, but it isn't going to happen. I understand they need to play catch-up for the people who didn't want to spend $50 on, what is now essentially, a paperweight.
Old 10-27-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I understand they need to play catch-up for the people who didn't want to spend $50 on, what is now essentially, a paperweight.
It's not if you have the Bourne Trilogy.
Old 10-27-08, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Yes, it'd be great for Universal to release their entire catalog by New Year's Day, but it isn't going to happen. I understand they need to play catch-up for the people who didn't want to spend $50 on, what is now essentially, a paperweight.
Eh. I still have several hundred titles not on Blu-ray yet and might be for the next few years. So i'm happy with my $50 paperweights
Old 10-27-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eh. I still have several hundred titles not on Blu-ray yet and might be for the next few years. So i'm happy with my $50 paperweights
Not to mention your 14 HD-DVD players you have stashed around your house.
Old 10-27-08, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I happen to own all three Bourne flicks in HD-DVD, but that doesn't mean I'd rather have Universal release three other films in Blu instead. I realize that, um, there are people out there who DON'T own these in 1080p.. and they have as much a right to own them as I do.

Let me correct that. I was actually format neutral and owned Bluray before HDDVD. I also believe they have the right to own them in 1080p as well. I just know I'm not going to upgrade anything I currently have in HD to a Bluray version. So for me, the movies already on HDDVD are a non-issue. I have a laundry list of movies that have only been released in first generation, non-anamorphic, DD 2.0 that I want to see first. IE. Memphis Belle, Gross Point Blank, Armageddon.

No different than the guy who likes 1980's European cinema to prefer those are released before recent blockbusters.
Old 10-27-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

8 Mile got delayed until next year? FUCK. Link?
Old 10-27-08, 02:24 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Quake1028
8 Mile got delayed until next year? FUCK. Link?
It was announced a few weeks ago. I think its now coming in January or February.
Old 10-27-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Whatever happened to stuff like Charlie Wilson's War and In Bruges? I know the latter has a foreign release upcoming, but has there ever been mention of going back to the titles missed during Universal's hiatus?
Old 10-27-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
The main reasons I'd want Bourne now are 1) DTS-HD MA for the first 2 and B) one less combo disc.

I'm OK if that means waiting a little longer.
Old 10-27-08, 04:35 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
The main reasons I'd want Bourne now are 1) DTS-HD MA for the first 2 and B) one less combo disc.

I'm OK if that means waiting a little longer.
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm ok with lossy DD+ so it won't be a double-dip for me. If the combo does not work in one of my players...well, I have 11 others to test it on
Old 10-27-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think they should have a balance of new and catch-up titles. Warner releases a good mix of these, and so can Universal.

I just hope that when they get to Bourne, they will have stopped degrading their titles with DNR and retrofitting features as U-Control.

Last edited by Drexl; 10-27-08 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-28-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was announced a few weeks ago. I think its now coming in January or February.
And later they moved it back again to Nov 18:
http://www.dvdtown.com/news/universa...e-kingdom/5905

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.