Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Get Smart BLU-RAY 11/4/08

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Get Smart BLU-RAY 11/4/08

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It'll be a rental for me, i was debating about picking it up but Steve Carell movies haven't always been my cup of tea and lack of lossless is disappointing.
Old 10-04-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

WOW, just un-fraking-believable....congratulations Warner, you just lost yourself another sale! My wallet thanks you repeatedly....
Even though it was a massive crime for obvious HT demo material like "Speed Racer" to be lacking lossless, I could at least partially chalk it up to its terrible box office performance for them to half-ass the audio there....but "Get Smart" did WELL in theaters! It was no "Iron Man" or "Dark Knight" (obviously), but the stats at Box Office Mojo show just under a $130 million domestic total on a $80 million budget! Add another $94 million from overseas and you are looking at $224 million total, a 2.5 to 3 times the budget level of profit here!! Seriously, WTF???
Old 10-05-08, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I find it completely ironic that Paramount has moved to the top of the list of best received Blu-ray studio with the bang up jobs they've done with Godfather, Iron Man and cranking out quality A/V on their titles and Warner has gone from most revered BD studio to the most reviled. Who would have thought this would have happened?
Old 10-05-08, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hate looking at my collection and seeing a ton of WB blus. I think only 2 of them (Terminator:TSCC and Pushing Daisies) are missing out on lossless, though. No more purchasing Warner blus, though. I'll make an exception for TDK, of course. I have no choice.
Old 10-05-08, 06:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I find it completely ironic that Paramount has moved to the top of the list of best received Blu-ray studio with the bang up jobs they've done with Godfather, Iron Man and cranking out quality A/V on their titles and Warner has gone from most revered BD studio to the most reviled. Who would have thought this would have happened?
I don't know if I'd caller Warner the best (before Paramount became #1 IMO). They released many titles with extras in SD and were rather hit and miss with PQ/AQ quality, especially on Blu-ray when many titles were DD only while the HD DVD counterparts had TrueHD (Lady in the Water, Superman Returns) or DD+. Warner has certainly released far more films then any other studio

Disney has always been my #1 studio. Almost every title has had perfect PQ and a PCM/TrueHD track. Though upping the MSRP on catalog titles certainly blows.
Old 10-05-08, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 864 Likes on 725 Posts
Whereas I look forward to other studios announcing future titles, I always dread seeing Warner's upcoming BDs for the simple fact they haven't committed to maxing out the audio and video on their Blu-rays like most of the other studios. What a time for New Line to be folded into Warner. Blade in lossy audio here we come...
Old 10-05-08, 07:53 PM
Premium Member

Received 742 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by awil1026
I hate looking at my collection and seeing a ton of WB blus. I think only 2 of them (Terminator:TSCC and Pushing Daisies) are missing out on lossless, though. No more purchasing Warner blus, though. I'll make an exception for TDK, of course. I have no choice.
You do have a choice.

But thinking you don't shows that you will be buying more...
Old 10-05-08, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
You do have a choice.

But thinking you don't shows that you will be buying more...
Yes, I honestly believe I have no choice; I was kidding. Until Warner falls in line, my only future purchase will be TDK. The fact that I'll even be buying that release is simply a testament to just how big and important the movie is to me.
Old 10-05-08, 08:14 PM
Premium Member

Received 742 Likes on 487 Posts
Originally Posted by awil1026
Yes, I honestly believe I have no choice; I was kidding. Until Warner falls in line, my only future purchase will be TDK. The fact that I'll even be buying that release is simply a testament to just how big and important the movie is to me.
Don't get me wrong.. I'm somewhat agreeing with you.

It just comes down to what's most important to the consumer. Warner could choose to barebones a first release and plan for a filled release later. People will gobble up both of those.

The thing is that they can get away with it because people will purchase.
Old 10-05-08, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by The Cow
Don't get me wrong.. I'm somewhat agreeing with you.

It just comes down to what's most important to the consumer. Warner could choose to barebones a first release and plan for a filled release later. People will gobble up both of those.

The thing is that they can get away with it because people will purchase.
Hey, people can do whatever they want. I think it's a shame that sub-par releases can sell well. I was pissed when I got Pushing Daisies and found out that the packaging was incorrect with regards to the TrueHD track being present. I can't even enjoy any of the fancy lossless tracks right now, but I buy with the future in mind. I personally am getting quite tired of buying a particular movie more than once. I detest Warner.

I just can't not buy TDK. Pretty much the only upcoming release I feel that way about. Although I wouldn't buy it if it were DD5.1 only.
Old 10-06-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well I got Beetlejuice and at least that is Dolby Truehd.
Old 10-06-08, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Well I got Beetlejuice and at least that is Dolby Truehd.
As does "Risky Business", the about to be released "Poltergeist", and the forthcoming "Shawshank Redemption"....which brings me to my new personal two-point theory about Warner's current audio policies:

1. They know catalog titles will sell less than brand new releases, and many people will not want to upgrade from their previously purchased DVDs without upgraded audio to go with their HD video....so they are now making sure to have lossless tracks there for better sales...

2. They know they can half-ass it on the new releases, since nobody has previously purchased these titles in the prior format, so they can skimp on the specs now and save on costs with BD-25s....and then hit us up in a few years when the format is going gangbusters with the lossless audio double dip...

I used to believe box office performance or the type/genre of film mattered (as it seemed like maybe more "family-oriented" material was to blame), but this mess with "Get Smart" proves these things have nothing to do with it....

"The Dark Knight" only escaped the chopping block because Warner knew we'd all storm their offices and burn that sucker down if they didn't provide a TrueHD track!
Old 11-04-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just like Speed Racer, this title is a 3 disc set (digital copy and crappy dvd game). Which means it'll probably have the same packaging. Didn't alot of people who owned Speed Racer encounter broken cases on the inside? Specifically the flip tray?

I just got mine at Target, where they had out a whopping 4 copies. They also had Planet of the Apes, for the uncool price of $29.99.
Old 11-04-08, 10:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Just like Speed Racer, this title is a 3 disc set (digital copy and crappy dvd game). Which means it'll probably have the same packaging. Didn't alot of people who owned Speed Racer encounter broken cases on the inside? Specifically the flip tray?

I just got mine at Target, where they had out a whopping 4 copies. They also had Planet of the Apes, for the uncool price of $29.99.
Argggg! Mine is the same way. The top clamp is broken off - just like Speed Racer!
Old 11-04-08, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Yep - my flip tray was broken in GET SMART as well as SPEED RACER. I hate that design...I'd rather have the discs overlap each other against the base.

BTW, the DVD game for GET SMART is much better than the one we got for SPEED RACER. Still not very good, but better nevertheless.
Old 11-04-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel lucky. Just opened my case and nothing is broken. *whew*
Old 11-07-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 676 Likes on 525 Posts
I made a mistake in ignoring this thread and assuming all would be fine given how well this film did at the box office. It wasn't 'til I opened the case and was about the put in the disc that I was (unpleasantly) suprised by the fact that the tecnical specs on the back did not mention Dolby TrueHD at all. Although the audio was still pretty good (although the dialogue was a tad too low), I wish Warner Bros. would cut the crap already.

Also, as this movie shot on video and then had grain added digitally a'la Superman Returns? Cos it has that same annoying look. Especially since the "grain" is actually static during many scenes (like the skydiving sequence).

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-07-08 at 12:41 PM.
Old 11-07-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 676 Likes on 525 Posts
Forgot to add that my case was broken inside too. It's an odd case type. Are such cases as this particular one available for purchase or might Warner Bros. be willing to replace the case similar to what Disney did for my POTC: COTBP BD case?
Old 11-07-08, 12:50 PM
Suspended

So far only Get Smart and Speed racer have used these type of cases. Wall-E (and Narnia 2) are both 3 discs...so they might have them as well.