Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

New HD Customer... HELP!!!

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

New HD Customer... HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 10:59 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by JJOOEEY
gangs of new york
If I ever need a partner for a "needle in a haystack" contest I'm going to pick you.
Old 09-04-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
great thank you, is there anyways i can check for the transfer before i purchase a movie like is there something on the box?
No, that is what reviews are for.
Old 09-04-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
is there anyways i can check for the transfer before i purchase a movie like is there something on the box?
I really doubt the studio will put "This Blu-ray Disc contains a really shitty transfer" on the box.

As others have pointed out, however, DVD Talk has a review section for Blu-ray releases.
Old 09-05-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I really doubt the studio will put "This Blu-ray Disc contains a really shitty transfer" on the box.
Sony should've on the first Fifth Element BR.
Old 09-05-08, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great thank you, is there anyways i can check for the transfer before i purchase a movie like is there something on the box?
You ask and I deliver.

Blu-ray Picture Quality Tier List
Old 09-05-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Since it sounds like you have a PS3, I will recommend picking up the Blu-ray version of Digital Video Essentials:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...0636963&sr=1-1

This will allow you to tune not only the video but the audio of your system as well. I agree with the other folks - make sure your set is at 0 or middle for all settings, especially brightness/picture. That one's ALWAYS cranked up.
Old 09-05-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RockyMtnBri
Since it sounds like you have a PS3, I will recommend picking up the Blu-ray version of Digital Video Essentials:

http://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video-...0636963&sr=1-1.
I've always wondered ... what kind of tests does the Digital Video Essentials DVD and/or Blu-ray offer that the standard THX Optimizer found on many DVDs doesn't have?
Old 09-05-08, 01:14 PM
Cool New Member

ISF? Is it needed?

Hey guys, Ive been getting great answers from people on this forum for a few days now and i thank you guys so much, really. I have another question, im curently viewing a vizio 50 inch 1080p plasma model VP504F. the display is awesome after playing with some settings, although when i was in best buy a few days ago, i asked the guy how i could get true to life picture, like the models set up at the store, he said that i need to get my tv calaberated by a ISF certified technicion and it would cost roughly 300 bucks. Im pleased with the picture i have now, but if i could somehow pull off what they have going on in best buy im wondering if this is really the way to do it. i have a blu ray player but i guess what i really want to know is if its really worth it to have one of these guys come to my house and fix up my tv? also, if anyone has had it done can you tell me what it intales and i was wondering .. what if the settings change if i move or something, i dont know.. anyone with information, a helpful hand would be appreciated thanks alot!
Old 09-05-08, 01:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
No.

As we stated before, research you're tv on AVSForum.com
Old 09-05-08, 01:22 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would recommend starting with something like Digital Video Essentials Blu-ray ($16.95 at Amazon) and take some time to calibrate the TV yourself. At first it is a little confusing to do that, but as you make some changes and see the difference it will start to make more sense. Try calibrating it with DVE, watch for several days, then go back and check your calibration with DVE again. You'll either tweak something a little more or find with your new knowledge that you got pretty close the first time. Just have some patience and don't expect to get it calibrated to perfection the first day in just a few minutes.
Old 09-05-08, 01:28 PM
Cool New Member

ok i was just wondering, because the picture on those tvs in best buy are absolutly amazing, i was watching batman and it really felt like he was sitting next to me, kinda like it was using a home video camera it looked so so so good
Old 09-05-08, 01:29 PM
Cool New Member

and whats this dve thing you speak of?
Old 09-05-08, 01:35 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Walker Boh
I've always wondered ... what kind of tests does the Digital Video Essentials DVD and/or Blu-ray offer that the standard THX Optimizer found on many DVDs doesn't have?
DVE has a lot more test patterns than the THX Optimizer, but for most of us A/V laymen you probably tend to use a small subset of those patterns which the THX Optimizer covers. Probably the best thing about DVE is the red/blue/green filter it comes with that helps you to more accurately adjust the color and tint/hue settings. I've read numerous times from very knowledgeable posters on the various forums that the THX Optimizer tests are calibrated somewhat uniquely for each disc they are on. I don't have any reason to doubt that, but in practice my settings are generally about the same when using either DVE or the THX Optimizer on discs such as Finding Nemo. One thing I like about the THX Optimizer is that I find a few of the tests easier to use - I think it's the ones for color and tint. But I wouldn't be able to use those tests correctly without the filter provided in DVE.
Old 09-05-08, 01:44 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DVE = Digital Video Essentials
Old 09-05-08, 01:56 PM
Cool New Member

have any of you guys had a isf person work on your tv?
Old 09-05-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It made a huge improvement on my 1080i 65" Rear projection Mits. That was after I had calibrated it myself with several of the recommended discs. I can't speak for Plasma, LCD, etc because I'm going to use the one I have until it croaks. I agree that you should at least get the stuff to calibrate yourself though.

Edit to add: Write down your current settings so that if you get too far off track you can return them to where they were.

Last edited by nazz; 09-05-08 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-05-08, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Yes, but only because I didn't have to pay. Great improvement but as is stated, check out the settings online and do that. It will be a huge improvement without breaking the bank.
Old 09-05-08, 02:40 PM
Cool New Member

im goign to pick up one of those dvds thats for sure, i think im also going to look into this isf thing too, i mean i just spent 1500 bucks on a 1080p tv i wanna get the best possible picture i can
Old 09-05-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
I had my rear project CRT done annually and IMO it was absolutely mandatory for that type of display - they look like ass out of the box.

LCD and DLP in my personal experience are a lot closer to where they should be out of the box, and a disc like DVE will get you most of the way there.

I've had my Sammy DLP done professionally as it has an unusually fine ability to have colors tweaked for a Sammy display. This is not one of the current models though - it was an '06 model and my understanding is Samsung has since removed some of the tweakability from the service menu.

I've see new LCD's in action at a friend's place and at my brothers and they were both more than acceptable with a simple DVE tune-up.

I don't know anything about Vizio so I don't know how they are out of the box. I will reiterate you should read all you can over at AVS about your display.
Old 09-05-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 824 Likes on 696 Posts
Typically you can get 85% to 90% of the way to an ISF calibration if you follow the posted and recommended settings for your particular display from AVS. If you've invested thousands in your home theater it is probably worth it but for the average person I would probably advise against it.
Old 09-08-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man! And I thought I was nervous about getting m first HDTV this week!

I thought that Best Buy "calibration" thing seemed like overkill just at first mention. At least now I know where to go look for info. Thanks!
Old 09-10-08, 06:20 PM

Firstly,

Most of the TVs you see at Best Buy are not properly calibrated, and often they are set to the Dynamic mode with the contrast and color maxed out so the sets will appear to jump out at the customers. Understand that a set that explodes with color and contrast is probably not even close to a natural, well-calibrated state. What you are going for when you calibrate your set with digital video essentials is a proper black, a proper white, and all of the shades of gray inbetween accurately reproduced. Your playstation, and your cable box or satellite box will all look great when the TV is calibrated, and after you get the DVE disc and take a few deep breaths, you can probably do a pretty good job all on your own. Hope this helps.