Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney now charging a premium for Digital Copies - How do you feel about it?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Disney now charging a premium for Digital Copies - How do you feel about it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 12:35 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
I love how a bunch of you who pushed for BD to be "the format" and who have spent up to $1,000 for a BD player are now the ones who are upset about this. Are you not used to paying a little extra by now?

All of these Disney Digital Copies make it much easier for me to transport them onto my kid's iPods. Sure, I can use Handbrake and also do it that way, but it's all about convenience and I'll be first in line for these upcoming Disney releases.
Can't handbrake Blu-ray discs, and Warner's digital copies don't work on iPods. Grr.
Old 08-18-08, 12:36 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Well the $29.99 is pretty normal, and Amazon has a typical $27 price tag. So even with the extra $5 MSRP, as hopefully the stores keep pricing these in line with other releases.
Normal for a brand new Day and Date sure, but not a ten year old catalog title.
Disney/Buena Vista use to sell discs for (at Amazon) $20, then $23 and and $28. They keep upping the price every few months.
Old 08-18-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
^^^^

Yes, this is a very bad trend for Disney/BV in the past six months. It was originally speculated that Narnia 1 and National Treasure 1 were carrying higher list prices due ot being "premium" catalog releases, but then came Signs, The Recruit, Gangs Of New York and others at 34.95 SRP. All of those movies should have been 29.99 SRP at most.
Old 08-18-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
But in that case, if its a trend of increasing SRP's anyway it would have nothing to do with the inclusion of a digital copy would it? That and there wasn't any question in my mind that this movie would come out at the price of a new release versus catalog.
Old 08-18-08, 12:49 PM
Suspended

Well, Kill Bill 1 and 2 still maintain a low price so hopefully these things fix themselves out.
Old 08-18-08, 12:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by fumanstan
But in that case, if its a trend of increasing SRP's anyway it would have nothing to do with the inclusion of a digital copy would it? That and there wasn't any question in my mind that this movie would come out at the price of a new release versus catalog.
Because Kill Bill comes out in a few weeks and maintains a lower price and do not include any of that digital copy BS. So the price hike can be attributed to the Digital copy for Nightmare.

After Kill Bill there is no more announced catalog titles from Disney (except the Pirates Trilogy) that I can see.

Edit: Sixth Sense September 30th shows a MSRP of $34.99. No digital copy.
Old 08-18-08, 12:54 PM
Suspended

I spoke to soon. Paramount (well Dreamworks) joins in the Digital Copy game.

DreamWorks has announced final specs for 'The Love Guru,' which will come to Blu-ray with full HD bonus features and Digital Copy.

As reported earlier this month, DreamWorks will debut the Blu-ray of the now-notorious box office flop on September 16, day-and-date with the standard DVD.
ADVERTISEMENT

Now full specs are in, with the studio still giving the film the special edition treatment. Extras are presented in full 1080 video and include four featurettes ( "Mike Myers and the Love Guru: An Inside Look," "One Helluva Elephant," "Monkey Training for Actors," "Back in the Booth with Trent and Jay"), deleted and extended scenes, a gag reel and blooper reel and the original theatrical trailer.

And in what marks a first for Dreamworks, the studio will also include a Digital Copy of the film on a second disc (standard-def only), playable on PCs and portable video devices. (At press time, we have yet to receive a confirmation on whether the Digital Copy will also be Mac-compatible, but we'll keep you posted.)

Tech specs boast a BD-50 dual-layer presentation in 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 video and English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 Surround audio. (English, French, Spanish and Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and subtitle tracks are also provided.)

As previously announced, suggested retail price for the Blu-ray has been set at $39.98
Old 08-18-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Because Kill Bill comes out in a few weeks and maintains a lower price and do not include any of that digital copy BS. So the price hike can be attributed to the Digital copy for Nightmare.

After Kill Bill there is no more announced catalog titles from Disney (except the Pirates Trilogy) that I can see.

Edit: Sixth Sense September 30th shows a MSRP of $34.99. No digital copy.
I guess your right, as Sleeping Beauty is listed at the $23.95 price. I would have guessed all Disney animated feature releases would show up at the price of a new release just based on the distinction of being a classic, but I guess not.
Old 08-18-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Both Kill Bill releases are also 34.95 separately. Only difference is like with the National Treasure releases, Amazon is offering a two-pack for 39.99.
Old 08-18-08, 01:08 PM
Suspended

Ahh, that's why they appear to be so low. Sucks these won't be $19.99 at Best Buy for easy impulse buys.
Old 08-18-08, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
DreamWorks has announced final specs for 'The Love Guru,' which will come to Blu-ray with full HD bonus features and Digital Copy.
Can't ever have enough copies of the Love Guru, digital or otherwise.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If the only thing you get with the extra disk is a digital copy I don't care, as I'll just skip that version, since I have no interest on watching the movie on my computer, PSP, or IPod. If, as was the case with Juno, they leave other content (such as extras) off the version that doesn't come with the digital copy, I'll either skip it or wait until I get it as part of a 2 for 1 or similar excellent deal (like I did with Juno--got it in a 2 for 1 from CH).
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
I love how a bunch of you who pushed for BD to be "the format" and who have spent up to $1,000 for a BD player are now the ones who are upset about this. Are you not used to paying a little extra by now?
The issue is that some of us will be paying extra for something we don't want and won't use. Of course we are used to paying extra for BDs, but that doesn't mean we'll be happy with a price hike (especially since we thought prices might actually get lower as the format became more established).

Other studios aren't charging more for them. Why should Disney?

Fumanstan, $34.99 IS Disney's standard price for a new release. For other studios it's closer to $40. I guess that in some way makes up for charging more for digital copies.
Old 08-18-08, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on Love Guru, it looks like Paramount's digital copies will be compatible with Macs, so that means Warner is the only loser who continues to ignore iPod owners. Very frustrating.
Old 08-18-08, 04:26 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I spoke to soon. Paramount (well Dreamworks) joins in the Digital Copy game.
I'd buy that if it had a feature whereby you could erase The Love Guru from existence. The anti-copy, so to speak.
Old 08-18-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bookcase3
Based on Love Guru, it looks like Paramount's digital copies will be compatible with Macs, so that means Warner is the only loser who continues to ignore iPod owners. Very frustrating.
Maybe WB is waiting for a larger installed base for iPods.
Old 08-18-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will not pay a premium for Digital Copy - I will wait till the price comes down or there is a sale that will make it normal price. I have no use for it and did not ask for it so I refuse to pay for it.
Old 08-18-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DRM-protected digital copies can suck it

At least with them putting it on a seperate disc, since Fox and the other companies that suck at including special features release a BD, I can chuck the DRM disc and put the SD-DVD with the special features in its place. Or the SD-DVD if it's not worth enough to sell for a homebrew combo. Easier than sticky hubs or buying 2-disc BD cases.

That is, when it gets cheap since I hate barebones BDs.
Old 08-18-08, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I have no interest in any Disney Blu-Ray (other than possibly Fantasia), I'm not that worked up about it, though it certainly seems to be setting a dangerous precedent. Let's hope the other studios won't follow suit and jack up prices for this "extra feature".
Old 08-18-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not a huge fan of digital copies. I bought BD to get away from standard def and it's back in digital form, similar to HD DVD's combo discs.

As long as studios offer a cheaper non-digital copy version or if Fox, LionsGate and others thrown them in for free, I'm okay.
Old 08-18-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Not a huge fan of digital copies. I bought BD to get away from standard def and it's back in digital form, similar to HD DVD's combo discs.

As long as studios offer a cheaper non-digital copy version or if Fox, LionsGate and others thrown them in for free, I'm okay.
Took the words right out of my mouth. As long as it's free, I have no problem but when they start charging a premium, that's when it's a huge issue.
Old 08-19-08, 09:02 AM

I don't care at all for digital copies. On the other hand, I really like the idea of family movies like 'Sleeping Beauty' including an SD version on DVD. That will come in handy in our household.
Old 08-19-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Can't handbrake Blu-ray discs, and Warner's digital copies don't work on iPods. Grr.
There is some sort of any program that does blu-ray. For Warner's stuff, there are other programs that'll take care of that also.

If studios are going to include a SD version, I can only imagine it's going to bump the price up much more than $5. I'm sure in some cases there would be ways to buy just the HD and SD version separately and still get it cheaper.

These are the companies that are charging extra for a freaking digital copy. They aren't going to be kind when it comes to throwing in a SD version even though it's using the same disc as a digital copy. As far as J6P is concerned, he's paying more for the bonus SD because it's the SD version, not some crappy digital copy.
Old 08-19-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts
I don't have a problem with digital copies as such, but it royally pisses me off if we're going to charged extra for them whether we want them or not.

Not to mention they're removing special features from DVDs to include them. (I was looking at Hostel II at Wal-Mart the other day, and it looked like the only special feature on it was a "digital copy," though the one I just bought at Best Buy for $6.99 had a bunch of stuff on it. Something else to watch out for... )

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 08-19-08 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-20-08, 12:26 AM
Suspended

FYI,

Nightmare Before Christmas digital copy works on PC and Macs and works with iPods etc.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.