Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney now charging a premium for Digital Copies - How do you feel about it?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Disney now charging a premium for Digital Copies - How do you feel about it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
I see little problem with this, as the only extra content is the digital copy. So no one will buy the 3 disc version unless they really want the digital copy. $5 seems fair for the expense involved in the extra disc (needed for space reasons I hope) and making a different edition available.
Actually the reason they put it on a DVD is because most people don't have BD-ROM drives from which to get the copy onto the computer. At some point (if this trend lasts) they could start including them on the BDs themselves, but I think by then it will go to download only.

Alan Smithee, the term "digital" has been used in the context of data without media, as in "digital distribution" or "digital music" (for files, even though the source CDs could also be considered digital). In this sense, the disc is a container for the copy which can then be transferred to different devices "digitally." I agree that it's strange, but that's it.
Old 08-18-08, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
They have also released specs for Prince Caspain - a 2 Disc BD and 3 Disc BD (which includes a digital copy and slip cover) for an extra $5 fee.
For this title, I wish there was a 3rd option: a 1 Disc BD that sold for $5 less than the 2 Disc BD!
Old 08-18-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I don't want a "digital" copy of anything: I am an adult, and I don't watch movies on cellphones or MP3 players, I watch 'em on my HT.

I was really excited about the Nightmare BD, as the only copy I own is non-anamorphic, but the early indications point to an outrageous price point, so I may be waiting a long time for a price drop or BOGO, but wait I will.
Old 08-18-08, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't want digital copies, and if given a choice I would not pay extra for them. I'm really glad they're deciding to offer both options on Caspian. I wouldn't pay extra for a DVD copy either if given a choice.

However, if they don't offer a choice, I can't pass on a release I otherwise want because of this. This is like Fox catalog titles, discs with lossy audio, Warner digibooks, even titles with a reasonable amount of DNR (but not going overboard with it). I'm not going to sit and wait for a re-release that could take several years, just because it isn't perfect and/or costs a few bucks more.

I'll just consider it to be a higher-priced release, and as such, I may wait for a sale depending on how much I want it. I can't flat out refuse to buy it. Heck, I've never even owned TNBC on any format, so it's not even a double dip.
I'm pretty much the same way. As much as I rag about some of the studios/titles, it's more about the principle than anything, I'm still buying it if I want it. And I can count on one hand the times that I've been truly disappointed with a BD/HD purchase (Traffic, 40-YO Virgin ... hope that mess gets fixed with the theatrical version on BD, GONY, Patton, and Longest Day), so it's all good.
Old 08-18-08, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
I don't want a "digital" copy of anything: I am an adult, and I don't watch movies on cellphones or MP3 players, I watch 'em on my HT.

I was really excited about the Nightmare BD, as the only copy I own is non-anamorphic, but the early indications point to an outrageous price point, so I may be waiting a long time for a price drop or BOGO, but wait I will.
^ My sentiments exactly.
Old 08-18-08, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What really peeves me is that Warner digital copies that won't work with Apple products.
Old 08-18-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep. I've never been interested in Digital Copies. I would pay a little extra for a DVD copy though, so I could play them on my car system until mobile BD becomes a reality.
Old 08-18-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts
Count me as another one who considers the digital copies pretty useless. I haven't purchased a movie with digital copy yet, mainly because they tend to be more expensive. I applaud Disney for giving the option for Prince Caspian, not so happy about not offering the choice for Nightmare. I don't mind that this digital copy thing is becoming a trend, even though the thought of watching a movie on my mp3 player boggles the mind, but give consumers the choice, much like they do much dual DVD releases (regular and special edition).

And I think the comparisons to the HD-DVD combo releases are pretty apt, though at least when I bought those titles I knew I would be able to take them to a friend's house and be able to use them. And while I think the Sleeping Beauty route of including a DVD copy is a better direction, if given the choice, I wouldn't purchase a Blu-ray with DVD if given the choice. I mean, that's why I'm buying Blu-ray! But I will admit that it's not a bad idea to offer a DVD with family titles, especially with how prolific DVDs in cars have become and needing to take movies to friends' or relatives' homes.
Old 08-18-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"No sir. I don't like it."

I have absolutely no use for a digital copy and I sure as hell don't appreciate Disney charging a premium for them. If anything, they should either be offering two versions to consumers, one with the digital copy disc and one without. Either that or allow people to purchase and download the digital copy online for the $5 fee using their credit card and a voucher code included in an insert inside the disc packaging. But to forcibly charge a premium to the consumer? Lame.
Old 08-18-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'd pay $5 to get Nightmare or Wall-E on my iphone. Do these digital copies work with Apple products?
I can rent these from Netflix and rip them for my iPhone. Sure there's a little more work involved, but then I can control the encode and such.

Which reminds me, aren't some of these digital copies cropped to fit a smaller frame? I'm thinking about Hitman in particular - seemed like it was a different AT than the BD when I watched it. Yet another reason I'd rather rip the DVD rather than rely on a static digital copy.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 08-18-08 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-18-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
That seems to be the biggest disconnect here. BD is all about the hi-def glory and a special feature is a low-res version of the film for your phone? It's still a niche market that due to costs has been embraced by an older demographic. Anyone who has a passing interest in BD isn't going to give two shits about a low-res copy for their phone. It's fucking retarded.
Old 08-18-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Will any David Lynch movies be including these?

Seriously, forcing people to pay extra for something they're not going to use is just stupid. That's why so many people hated the HD combo discs, charging more for a "digital copy" (who the fuck came up with that term anyways- DVDs are already digital!) is even dumber since people like me don't even HAVE an IPod or anything else to use it on!

What if they'd charged extra for discs that had DVD-ROM content, which in the early years of the format not too many people could use? Or charge extra for including a "Fullscreen" version??
To be fair, the idea of paying more for a HD DVD combo disc was largely a myth. It just happened that almost all combos were new releases, and there is a premium for new releases.

I'm not sure if this is something that will continue on, or if this is just an isolated incident. Warner Brothers has charged a premium for some of their more featured releases, like Natural Born Killers and Sony will sometimes charge more for some new releases like Spiderman 3 or Superbad. It's an annoyance to pay for something you don't use, although if Disney also makes these super special editions, that would also help. I'll reserve judgment until I see how this pricing scheme plays out.
Old 08-18-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
To be fair, the idea of paying more for a HD DVD combo disc was largely a myth. It just happened that almost all combos were new releases, and there is a premium for new releases.

I'm not sure if this is something that will continue on, or if this is just an isolated incident. Warner Brothers has charged a premium for some of their more featured releases, like Natural Born Killers and Sony will sometimes charge more for some new releases like Spiderman 3 or Superbad. It's an annoyance to pay for something you don't use, although if Disney also makes these super special editions, that would also help. I'll reserve judgment until I see how this pricing scheme plays out.
But the catalog combos (from Universal) were indeed $5 more, and Warner was charging $5 less for the BD editions of new releases.

Natural Born Killers costs more because it is in a digibook package. The extra features did not raise the price, as they have other titles with more features (or no features) at the standard catalog price. Look up Bonnie and Clyde and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and you'll see.

Sony charges $5 more for its 2-disc sets. I don't think any other studios do that, but I'm not sure.

BTW, I would not necessarily say that BD is being embraced by an older demographic. Look at the title selection, full of action, sci-fi, horror, and comedy, with not many older films. It may not appeal to children, but it's not old people either. I think it's more a male demographic from 18-35, or at least that's what they seem to be aiming for.
Old 08-18-08, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Anyone who has a passing interest in BD isn't going to give two shits about a low-res copy for their phone. It's fucking retarded.
I don't know about that necessarily, as the assumption may be that those who are interested in Blu-ray has an interest in high tech gadgets altogether and be just as likely to have a portable media device of some sort for digital copies, or just something that can be played off their computers.
Old 08-18-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't know about that necessarily, as the assumption may be that those who are interested in Blu-ray has an interest in high tech gadgets altogether and be just as likely to have a portable media device of some sort for digital copies, or just something that can be played off their computers.
Could be true, but you could further expound on that by saying that those same tech savvy people already know how to get a movie to their portable device.
Old 08-18-08, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I can rent these from Netflix and rip them for my iPhone. Sure there's a little more work involved, but then I can control the encode and such.

Which reminds me, aren't some of these digital copies cropped to fit a smaller frame? I'm thinking about Hitman in particular - seemed like it was a different AT than the BD when I watched it. Yet another reason I'd rather rip the DVD rather than rely on a static digital copy.
Every Digital Copy I've seen (including Fox titles) has been in the movie's original OAR. The iPhone and iPod Touch are both set by default to zoom video content to fill the screen. Double-tap the screen and it will zoom out to the full aspect ratio.
Old 08-18-08, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a fan. I have no use for a digital copy. But, if it is a movie I really want like Nightmare, I will pay the premiuim.
Old 08-18-08, 11:17 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
But the catalog combos (from Universal) were indeed $5 more, and Warner was charging $5 less for the BD editions of new
Warner catalog titles on BD and HD were the same price (event though some were 2 disc on HD DVD like A Clockwork Orange). While Universal did release some catalog titles in Combo format, they were generally priced the same as other Universal catalog titles that were just HD only. It wasn't until later, when they dropped Combo from catalog titles, did the prices fix themselves. I don't have a whole lot of Universal catalog combo titles, so I think they dropped that idea 8-10 months after launching the format. Some were re-released sans combo side (Army of Darkness) some not (Land of the Dead, Breakfast Club)
Old 08-18-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Every Digital Copy I've seen (including Fox titles) has been in the movie's original OAR. The iPhone and iPod Touch are both set by default to zoom video content to fill the screen. Double-tap the screen and it will zoom out to the full aspect ratio.
Actually, I noticed this when viewing the Hitman copy on my laptop through VLC player with no zoom set. It did not seem to be 2.35:1.

I have not bothered putting any digital copies on my phone yet. I am aware of the zoom though - it did this with my ripped Metalocalypse episodes.

On a similar note, has Sony put out any digital copies yet? I wouldn't be surprised to see their practice of releasing ~2.35:1 films at 1.78:1 on UMD carry over to their digital copies.
Old 08-18-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by Moopher
Now I do like the idea of getting the DVD copy as well, I thought that was really cool, although I have no interest in owning Sleeping Beauty. But if I would poney up 5 bucks for an extra copy, no problem.
Ditto.

I could not care less about digital copies, but I would love a SDdvd copy along with the blu-ray, as I have many dvd players but only one blu-ray player.
I also like letting friends and family borrow dvds or take dvds over to their homes to watch, and none of them have blu-rays players.
Old 08-18-08, 11:30 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Actually, I noticed this when viewing the Hitman copy on my laptop through VLC player with no zoom set. It did not seem to be 2.35:1.

I have not bothered putting any digital copies on my phone yet. I am aware of the zoom though - it did this with my ripped Metalocalypse episodes.

On a similar note, has Sony put out any digital copies yet? I wouldn't be surprised to see their practice of releasing ~2.35:1 films at 1.78:1 on UMD carry over to their digital copies.
Sony has released a ton of DVDs with digital copies. I see them littered all over the place at Best Buy. Its usually a bad catalog title with a digital copy (that plays on the PSP so .MP4 format). As for Blu-ray, no. I think they will start doing in in the next few months though - all studios, actually with the exception of Paramount.
Old 08-18-08, 11:33 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I don't like the extra fee on Nightmare Before Christmas but will get it anyway because I love the movie. I much prefer the approach with The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian because I have a choice (and slipcovers, though nice, mean nothing to me) to simply get the cheaper version that excludes the digital copy.
exactly

if when given the choice - I'll purchase the one minus the digital copy.
Old 08-18-08, 12:22 PM
Suspended

According to Speedy, Nightmare Before Christmas will be $29.99 at Target or $34.99 at Circuit City...Gees.
Old 08-18-08, 12:27 PM

I love how a bunch of you who pushed for BD to be "the format" and who have spent up to $1,000 for a BD player are now the ones who are upset about this. Are you not used to paying a little extra by now?

All of these Disney Digital Copies make it much easier for me to transport them onto my kid's iPods. Sure, I can use Handbrake and also do it that way, but it's all about convenience and I'll be first in line for these upcoming Disney releases.
Old 08-18-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
According to Speedy, Nightmare Before Christmas will be $29.99 at Target or $34.99 at Circuit City...Gees.
Well the $29.99 is pretty normal, and Amazon has a typical $27 price tag. So even with the extra $5 MSRP, as hopefully the stores keep pricing these in line with other releases.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.