Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection - 9/23/08

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection - 9/23/08

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$86.95 is the price at Amazon.
Old 07-02-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
It just hit me, but the people who worked on this restoration aren't the same ones who worked on the Blu-ray for Coppola's DRACULA, are they? Because that remains the worst-looking transfer in my Blu-ray collection (in terms of both quality and the way they mucked about with the "look" of the movie).
Old 07-02-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
It just hit me, but the people who worked on this restoration aren't the same ones who worked on the Blu-ray for Coppola's DRACULA, are they?
Robert Harris had nothing to do with Dracula.
Old 07-02-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ive preordered this....My favorite movie of all time, The Godfather, FINALLY in HD.

Cannot wait to dedicate a Saturday to watching all three.

And yes, the third one is not as bad as people say. Its not in the same league as the first and second, but I enjoy it and think its a good movie.
Old 07-02-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
And yes, the third one is not as bad as people say. Its not in the same league as the first and second, but I enjoy it and think its a good movie.
I agree. It gets maligned because it had astronomical expectations following two of the greatest films of all time which it couldn't possibly have lived up to. Add in some obvious flaws (Sophia Coppola) and everyone decided that it was a "terrible movie." A more objective look at the film reveals that it's actually a pretty solid movie in spite of some minor flaws. It's certinaly not in the same league as its predecessors, but I'd still put it in the upper tier of gangster movies in general.
Old 07-04-08, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by kefrank
and everyone decided that it was a "terrible movie."
I don't think many (except perhaps in the "fanboy" community) ever considered it a "terrible" movie. It got decent reviews and an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. And that Pacino performance? One of his best ever. That silent scream at the end still gives me chills.
Old 07-04-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think many (except perhaps in the "fanboy" community) ever considered it a "terrible" movie. It got decent reviews and an Oscar nomination for Best Picture. And that Pacino performance? One of his best ever. That silent scream at the end still gives me chills.
well, general critical reception wasn't bad. my wording choice of "everyone" was poor. i'm referring mostly to the consensus of many vocal movie fans. just look around various forums at threads about this release and you'll find many who want to "ignore" that part III exists or use other such strong language. it's a common opinion that i think has been perpetuated unfairly.
Old 07-15-08, 08:51 PM

This set is 64.35 at familyvideo.com
Old 07-15-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Godfather III is not a bad movie, but the problem is it has to sit there next to two classics called Godfather I & II. The same happens to Return of the Jedi, as it isn't a bad sequel, but when you compare it to Star Wars & Empire, it pales.

I know that Winona Ryder backed out last second, but Sophia is pretty bad playing Pacino's daughter.
Old 07-16-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by larry47591
whoa.

Ordered.
Old 07-16-08, 09:02 AM
Suspended

Thanks, just ordered

Enter coupon code GAMEPRO7 to get free shipping
Old 07-16-08, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by darthlurker
So why no chronological cut?
That's what I'm waiting for.

I watch the regular films about once per year.
Old 07-16-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by BigDogg
Thanks guys, awesome price, although I'm keeping my Amazon.com pre-order open until the last minute, in case their price drops below the Family Video price.
Old 07-16-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Thanks guys, awesome price, although I'm keeping my Amazon.com pre-order open until the last minute, in case their price drops below the Family Video price.
Bear in mind that they charge sales tax (at least to me they did), so if Amazon doesn't get lower than $69, it's a wash.
Old 07-16-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
Bear in mind that they charge sales tax (at least to me they did)......
They have a retail presence in MO.
Old 07-16-08, 10:33 AM

No sales tax for me in NJ. Thanks for the heads-up on this price larry. I would be surprised if it becomes available at a better pre-order price than this.
Old 07-16-08, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Familyvideo and Amazon both charge sales tax in NY. One more reason to hate NY.
Old 07-17-08, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigDogg
Thanks, just ordered

I also bit on this offer. Great price!
Old 07-17-08, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
They have a retail presence in MO.
speaking of that, Drexl, have you ever been in the one on Big Bend? i'm wondering if their in-store prices are as cheap as some of the online prices i've seen thrown around on forums.
Old 07-17-08, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
So they charge right away huh? Not sure I like that...but it's unlikely they'll be a better price. No tax for me in WA.
Old 07-18-08, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
speaking of that, Drexl, have you ever been in the one on Big Bend? i'm wondering if their in-store prices are as cheap as some of the online prices i've seen thrown around on forums.
The only one I've seen is in Arnold, but I haven't been inside.
Old 07-18-08, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I agree. It gets maligned because it had astronomical expectations following two of the greatest films of all time which it couldn't possibly have lived up to. Add in some obvious flaws (Sophia Coppola) and everyone decided that it was a "terrible movie." A more objective look at the film reveals that it's actually a pretty solid movie in spite of some minor flaws. It's certinaly not in the same league as its predecessors, but I'd still put it in the upper tier of gangster movies in general.
The reason why GIII might seem "odd", is because it was cut short and I noticed weird performances from just about everyone, not just Sophia. I always thought GIII was too short. Seemed like the themes in the movie were rushed so it wouldn't be a 4-5 hour movie. The corruption of the Vatican should have had more time to flush itself out and just the overall circumstances which happened in the movie were compressed for time, to give an unrealistic feel to them, in the sense everything arose to a crescendo and collapsed so quickly.

Good movie, which had a lot of potential.
Old 07-18-08, 11:59 AM
bub

I just received an email response from FamilyVideo.com and they do indeed charge your card at the time of the order. This is not good business practice, might even be illegal in some states.

I'm trying to think if I know of any other business that charges on the order date vs. the shipping date.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

George -bub
Old 07-18-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bub
I just received an email response from FamilyVideo.com and they do indeed charge your card at the time of the order. This is not good business practice, might even be illegal in some states.

I'm trying to think if I know of any other business that charges on the order date vs. the shipping date.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

George -bub
I'm sure I've ordered from other e-tailers who charged me when I placed the order and not when it was shipped. I just can't remember who they were at the moment.

It's an annoying policy. I don't know about the legality of it, but if it saved me 15 bucks, I suppose I can live with it.
Old 07-18-08, 01:03 PM

I'm sure the Amazon price will drop a good $10. I'm not thrilled that family video charges your card 2 months in advance.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.