Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection - 9/23/08

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection - 9/23/08

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-17, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts
Re: The Godfather: The Coppola Restoration Blu-ray Collection - 9/23/08

I'm sure that most people who would be inclined to own these movies on Blu-ray already have the theatrical versions.
The theatrical version of Part 3 has never been on home video- it's always been with the added scene(s).
Old 08-25-17, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
The theatrical version of Part 3 has never been on home video- it's always been with the added scene(s).
I was referring to the first two. The chronological miniseries was originally created with just Parts I and II re-edited, before Part III even existed. Later, Part III was essentially tacked-on at the end.

The Godfather Part III was released to theaters in 1990 in an incomplete state. Coppola was editing the movie down to the last minute but was contractually obligated to deliver a cut for Christmas release in order to qualify for Oscar consideration. He continued to work on the movie even after release and didn't deliver his final cut until early 1991. All home video editions of the movie have been that version.
Old 08-25-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
I was referring to the first two. The chronological miniseries was originally created with just Parts I and II re-edited, before Part III even existed. Later, Part III was essentially tacked-on at the end.

The Godfather Part III was released to theaters in 1990 in an incomplete state. Coppola was editing the movie down to the last minute but was contractually obligated to deliver a cut for Christmas release in order to qualify for Oscar consideration. He continued to work on the movie even after release and didn't deliver his final cut until early 1991. All home video editions of the movie have been that version.
Is there a list of the changes made between the theatrical and final version? A quick Googling didn't turn up anything.

thanks
Old 08-25-17, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Is there a list of the changes made between the theatrical and final version? A quick Googling didn't turn up anything.
Since the theatrical version was never released on video and has been suppressed in the meantime, it's difficult for anyone to make a detailed comparison.

The initial VHS and Laserdisc releases claimed to have 9 minutes of footage not seen theatrically. I believe refinements were also made to the editing of other scenes.
Old 08-25-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Since the theatrical version was never released on video and has been suppressed in the meantime, it's difficult for anyone to make a detailed comparison.

The initial VHS and Laserdisc releases claimed to have 9 minutes of footage not seen theatrically. I believe refinements were also made to the editing of other scenes.
Thanks. I guess unless somebody has a shaky-cam version of III we'll never know