Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Persepolis Blu-Ray subtitle problems

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-08, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry if this has been posted, I did a search and found nothing, though. I was excited to pop in the Blue-Ray of Persepolis tonight on my PS3 but stopped watching after 5 minutes because I couldn't read the subtitles. I am not sure if it's the PS3 or the subtitles in general, which are white, but you can't read them about half the time from any comfortable sitting distance because they meld into the white background.

Did anyone else have this issue and is there a way around it? I was hoping the PS3 would let me change the color, but no dice. I guess I will have to rent the DVD version, but this seems like a decent enough issue...

Also, I do have a only a moderate-sized HDTV, so that could be part of the issue.
Old 06-29-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by Willh51
Sorry if this has been posted, I did a search and found nothing, though.
I griped about this in my review too. It's a pretty glaring problem.

(Surprisingly, only two other reviews complained about this -- DVD File and MovieFreak. While it's more of an annoyance than anything else -- I mean, I was always able to read the subs eventually, although I did have to rewind a couple of times -- it's definitely something that should be addressed in a review.)
Old 06-29-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks Adam, glad I'm not crazy. I actually just looked at the DVDTALK review and missed your Blu-Ray review, it wasn't mentioned (not surprisingly) for the standard def disc.

I would assume that would have been something pretty glaring, as that issue, as I'm sure you saw, happens from the minute after the opening credits.

Shame.
Old 06-30-08, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When I saw the movie's theatrical trailer I complained to my friends about this very problem. Predictable that they didn't fix it for the film in theaters, and continued the trend into DVD/Blu.
Old 06-30-08, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I usually prefer white subtitles because they don't clash with the film's color scheme, but in this case it is a problem. They should have strongly outlined them in black, at least.
Old 06-30-08, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, they're not good. I almost always view the original language, but in this case, on spot-checking the subtitles and realizing how hard it would be to read them, I went with the english track. Its absolutely fine, and a valid option.
Old 06-30-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Yowza, you guys have me worried. I'm watching this tonight with a friend. It was a blind buy for me, I've been dying to see it, but this subtitle issue has me worried.
Old 06-30-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
Yowza, you guys have me worried. I'm watching this tonight with a friend. It was a blind buy for me, I've been dying to see it, but this subtitle issue has me worried.
if it upsets you after watching it, please feel free to MSG me with atrade request
Old 06-30-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bleddyn Williams
Yes, they're not good. I almost always view the original language, but in this case, on spot-checking the subtitles and realizing how hard it would be to read them, I went with the english track. Its absolutely fine, and a valid option.
I did the same. The English track worked perfectly in the context of the story.
Old 06-30-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The gray subs are a bit harder to read than bright white subs, but I didn't miss a single word of dialog because of unreadability (only a 54" screen).
Old 06-30-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
if it upsets you after watching it, please feel free to MSG me with atrade request
All right, why don't you just sit and wait by the phone.
Old 06-30-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by clckworang
All right, why don't you just sit and wait by the phone.
I just took a shit, did I miss your call?