Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy's Insignia Blu-Ray Player: Reviews?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has recently appeared on their site. I was told Insignia products are made by LG. At $349, this is a good deal if the player is QUALITY. Because of Samsung's blu models, I'm leary to buy just anything. It would make me a nice second player and could be had for about $315 with all of those 10-12% coupons that regularly surface. It also includes a $100 value coupon book on blu-rays and other products, which would be a nice bonus...

Anyone have anymore info?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1204332499513

I'm definitely tempted as they are in stock at all BB's in my area.

Last edited by CapRockBrewingCo.; 05-31-08 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-31-08, 10:49 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I'd avoid it unless you have a receiver that can decode through bit-streaming. Its also a Profile 1.1 player.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1026390
Old 05-31-08, 11:24 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The player is made by Funai according to all reports, not LG. There is a similar player made by Funai under the Magnavox label at WalMart for about $50 cheaper.
Old 05-31-08, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the AVS link. The Insignia player provides optical out and True HD which IIRC the Magnavox player does not. That's worth the extra $50 ($15 with a 10/12% coupon). I may go take a look at them later.
Old 05-31-08, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jim
The player is made by Funai according to all reports, not LG. There is a similar player made by Funai under the Magnavox label at WalMart for about $50 cheaper.
This is correct.

I have not tested the Sylvania model yet but I have to agree with all of the positive feedback pertaining to Magnavox's player so far. It outputs a very strong picture quality, with fast loading times, and does the advance codecs perfectly. My only gripe is that it is a rather heavy machine with a very rough looking design (for me this is an issue). Yet, given the solid brand name components in it (Panasonic/SONY) it is a player well worth the money.

If the OP is willing to wait I will have a Sylvania for a review next Friday.

Pro-B
Old 05-31-08, 05:56 PM

why not just get the PS3 for $50 more?
Old 05-31-08, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the player is as poor as their TVs, I would avoid.
Old 05-31-08, 07:30 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Don't cheap out. Either spend $50 more and get a PS3 or a Samsung 1500 (it will be 2.0 eventually), or wait for Sony or Panasonics new players. The Insignia and all the other Funai players are for people that do not care for audio codecs and do not want to future-proof their purchase. Its something I would by for the bedroom where I wouldn't care about those things, but as a main BD player...I'd pass.
Old 05-31-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've got a PS3. I was just looking at a potential secondary player for another area of the house.
Old 05-31-08, 09:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Don't cheap out. Either spend $50 more and get a PS3 or a Samsung 1500 (it will be 2.0 eventually), or wait for Sony or Panasonics new players. The Insignia and all the other Funai players are for people that do not care for audio codecs and do not want to future-proof their purchase. Its something I would by for the bedroom where I wouldn't care about those things, but as a main BD player...I'd pass.

Gizmo is basically saying:

"If I were a tourist or retarded, then yes I would buy the Insignia Blu-ray player."
Old 06-01-08, 09:51 AM

PS3 is downstairs on the plasma, Mag is in the bedroom with the CRT HDTV since I don't care about advanced audio processing.
Old 06-03-08, 03:44 AM

walmart is offering 100 dollar giftcard with purchase of ps3. SO after giftcard its only about 300 and I heard best buy is offering same deal