Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers [Blu-Ray] - September 2, 2008

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Tra...-Answered/9692

The website won't let me copy and paste, but scroll down to the last paragraph for details.
Old 05-24-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here it is:

We've gotten advanced, inside word (you heard it here first!) that the 2007 Transformers live-action film with Shia LaBeouf will be coming to Blu-ray Disc on September 2nd, in a 2-Disc Special Edition (similar to last year's HD DVD version)...but its doubtful that Hasbro would be ready with their first "G1" Transformers cartoon release on DVD by that time, to tie in with that release. You never know, though! Stay tuned for new reports, as developments occur.
Old 05-24-08, 02:09 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
So it will be the same movie, with the same features, on 2 discs except it will have a PCM (or TrueHD) track? Pass.

Makes sense to release this either around the holidays or when Indy 4 comes to Blu-ray (or DVD).
Old 05-24-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Talk about baseless speculation. It said "similar".
Old 05-24-08, 02:16 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by abrg923
Talk about baseless speculation. It said "similar".
in a 2-Disc Special Edition (similar to last year's HD DVD version)
Which means it will probably be a carbon copy of the HD DVD + possibly the rumored TrueHD/PCM track. I can't imagine Paramount will be spending any more money on this considering the Blu-ray edition has been "done" for a while.

Last edited by Gizmo; 05-24-08 at 02:19 PM.
Old 05-24-08, 02:22 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Although it makes me wonder if Bay might add something special for this release, after him being so damn vocal about the format war.
Old 05-24-08, 02:28 PM
Suspended

I'm more interested to see if they will add those HD DVD online features to the disc or make them download only much like HD DVD. Because right now, the only BD players that can do those online features is the PS3 and Samsung 1500 (when it becomes BD-Live capable). Everything else right now is 1.0/1.1 and we still don't have solid dates on the Sony S350 or Panasonic BD50.
Old 05-24-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Doesn't it have a different video encode too? Isn't that what Michael Bay got upset about?

I'm not replacing my HD DVD either until it's cheap, but this should be a little better.
Old 05-24-08, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drexl
Doesn't it have a different video encode too? Isn't that what Michael Bay got upset about?

I'm not replacing my HD DVD either until it's cheap, but this should be a little better.
Thats what he and some BD insiders have said. But much like other Paramount titles that use different encodes (Face/Off for example) for each format, very few people could even tell the difference. Of course it depends who you ask. Face/Off on Blu and Red look identical to me, and I A/B'ed through them last night for 20 minutes. I think we had discussed this at some point right after Paramount went Red when Michael Bay started going crazy.
Old 05-24-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl

I'm pretty sure he argued something about the colors being better on Blu-Ray, or something similiar ...

Anyway, I'm passing on this one as I already have the Hd-dvd. We'll see another version down the line when the sequel comes out anyway.
Old 05-24-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be getting this. I sold my HD-DVD version along with my XA1 a few months ago. My kids will be happy to have Transformers again.

I'm pleasantly surprised it's coming out already. I thought for sure they'd wait until the sequel hits theaters.

This is good news for a lot of people like myself. I can see someone waiting for the double-dip version, but to complain about this one? I guess folks have to complain about something.
Old 05-24-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll take Transformers with lossless audio. Now we'll have the full HD experience of this movie.
Old 05-24-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 637 Likes on 491 Posts
I'm getting this because I remember back when it was to be released on both formats, folk from Paramount were pretty vocal about how this film was to have completely different video encodes for HD DVD and Blu-Ray. In fact, it was orginally believe that the HD DVD would be VC-1 whereas the Blu-Ray would be AVC. I always found it curious that the HD DVD got an AVC encode and I always wondered how different (if at all) it would look. Also, despite the fact that I love the DD+ track on the HD DVD, I really want to compare it to the PCM track we'll supposedly get for the Blu-Ray.
Old 05-24-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

waiting for specs but might upgrade.
Old 05-24-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I'm more interested to see if they will add those HD DVD online features to the disc or make them download only much like HD DVD. Because right now, the only BD players that can do those online features is the PS3 and Samsung 1500 (when it becomes BD-Live capable). Everything else right now is 1.0/1.1 and we still don't have solid dates on the Sony S350 or Panasonic BD50.
I don't see why not since the Bee Movie specs that the Hd-dvd originally had were all ported over to the BD version and that included some downloadable features if I'm not mistaken.
Old 05-24-08, 10:19 PM

Sweet! I had this on hd-dvd until I sold my player and my few movies. Can't wait for the blu to come. Hope it's just like the hd-dvd version if not better!
Old 05-25-08, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Although it makes me wonder if Bay might add something special for this release, after him being so damn vocal about the format war.
Maybe a brief introduction of him saying "I told you so! Awesome!"

Looking forward to this though...will definitely pick up, as the HD DVD version looked awesome on my friend's set. That and I loved the movie, tons of fun.
Old 05-25-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by trespoochies
Digital DVD Polizei Bits

...BREAKING NEWS...

In addition to the awesome Blu-ray release of Transformers, Michael Bay has promised there will be 16 hours of himself ranting in full LOSSLESS AUDIO about HD formats. "Normally, I would have only managed to cram about 3 hours of ranting on HD DVD," Bay said. "This is good news for my fans."

Well, you saw it here first, folks.
Old 05-25-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Maybe it will have a clip of an HD-Dvd player transforming into a Blu-Ray player.
Old 05-25-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Maybe it will have a clip of an HD-Dvd player transforming into a Blu-Ray player.
Good one!
Old 05-25-08, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Digital DVD Polizei Bits

...BREAKING NEWS...

In addition to the awesome Blu-ray release of Transformers, Michael Bay has promised there will be 16 hours of himself ranting in full LOSSLESS AUDIO about HD formats. "Normally, I would have only managed to cram about 3 hours of ranting on HD DVD," Bay said. "This is good news for my fans."

Well, you saw it here first, folks.
What a BLABBERMOUTH! &
Old 05-25-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Considering the Transformers HD-DVD soundtrack was given top marks in every review (even compared to TrueHD and PCM titles), I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. I'll keep the HD version, it's spectacular all around. No need to upgrade here.
Old 05-25-08, 02:07 PM

I've always been very impressed with the audio and video of the HD-DVD, and actually just demo'd the opening scene at the base yesterday for some friends who were over, and it holds up as an awesome HD-DVD, with outstanding audio and video. I really can't imagine it getting all that much better.
Old 05-25-08, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by valkyrie
Considering the Transformers HD-DVD soundtrack was given top marks in every review (even compared to TrueHD and PCM titles), I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. I'll keep the HD version, it's spectacular all around. No need to upgrade here.
It is a big deal for those who did not embrace HDDVD, now they will have a chance to add this film to their libraries. And comparing the TrueHD and PCM tracks from different releases with the audio track on the HDDVD release adds zero credibility to the claim that there is no need to upgrade.

Pro-B
Old 05-25-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 223 Posts
at the risk of threadcrapping, i've always been perplexed by how much people seem to clamor for this movie. when i saw it in the theater, i really didn't think it was very good (even for Bay, who has done some movies that i enjoyed). the special effects made for good eye candy, but that was about the only thing that worked for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.