Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mummy BLU-RAY 7/22/08

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Mummy BLU-RAY 7/22/08

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamers
Well I buckled and bought both of these from Amazon for $19.95 each. The sales tax and gas cost to drive to Kmart would have negated the $4 savings anyway. So here's hoping I can use the free tickets at my local AMC.
You may not luck out on both counts: many people are not getting the tickets in copies sent from Amazon, and even if they do, it's been my experience that AMC does not take movie cash. But I wish you luck.
Old 07-23-08, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I said I wouldn't upgrade these, but there they were standing right in front of me at WalMart, Universal's first BDs ... so I grabbed them (but not Scorpion King).

Also said I wouldn't buy Batman Begins again, but after seeing Dark Knight, I wanted the IMAX prologue...dammit!
Old 07-23-08, 05:17 PM

Received 812 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by bookcase3
You may not luck out on both counts: many people are not getting the tickets in copies sent from Amazon, and even if they do, it's been my experience that AMC does not take movie cash. But I wish you luck.
My Amazon order just came and I opened one of them... NO TICKET!

DAMMIT! Looks like I'm going to a matinee of Mummy III on my own dime. Thanks Amazon.

Plus there is nothing on the outside of the movie that says that there is one inside.

It did come in a nice slipcover (which was unexpected).
Old 07-24-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally Posted by Goldberg74
My Amazon order just came and I opened one of them... NO TICKET!

DAMMIT! Looks like I'm going to a matinee of Mummy III on my own dime. Thanks Amazon.

Plus there is nothing on the outside of the movie that says that there is one inside.

It did come in a nice slipcover (which was unexpected).
Got mine from Best Buy on release day. There was a yellow sticker shaped like a movie ticket on the outer slipcase stating there was movie money inside.
Old 07-24-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
Yep no money in my Amazon copies either. Oh well. Not real mad, but it is confusing as this never sounded like a retail specific promotion.
Old 07-24-08, 10:38 AM

The Mummy and Mummy Returns is pretty much getting trashed over at the AVS Forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1050230

I thought you guys said this was supposed to be a great transfer. Folks on AVS are saying it basically the same as the HD-DVD transfer; and not that good.
Old 07-24-08, 12:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Yep no money in my Amazon copies either. Oh well. Not real mad, but it is confusing as this never sounded like a retail specific promotion.
I love their response to my enquiry regarding this screw-up:

-----------

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

I'm very sorry that we ran out of stock of this item before we were
able to fulfill your order. Unfortunately, we only recently learned
from our supplier that we would not be receiving more inventory.

As the rules and restrictions posted on our website for this promotion
stated "Offer good only while supplies last," we're not able to offer
you any promotional discounts for this order.

We value your business and hope that you will give us the opportunity
to serve you better on a future order. Thank you for shopping at
Amazon.com.

--------

Amazon, I don't think you offered any of the bluray discs with the promised tix... talk about false advertising.
Old 07-29-08, 08:22 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am holding off for now and going with the Deluxe SD versions that just came out (and no BR player yet anyway). I just got the Mummy Deluxe new on Ebay for $7.99. Looking to do about the same for MReturns.
Old 07-29-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a Samsung BD-P1400 player which hasn't had any trouble playing anything until now. It will not play either Mummy or Mummy Returns. When I press play it shows the disclaimers but when the film is supposed to start the screen goes black. Then the player won't respond to any command except for turning it off.

I haven't installed any updated firmware because it played everything until now. I called Samsung and they are sending me the latest firmware update (I'm too computer illiterate to try burning my own disc) and I'll try that when it comes. I'm wondering if the new Universal discs are a problem with my unupdated player. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 07-30-08, 06:48 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by Jamers
The Mummy and Mummy Returns is pretty much getting trashed over at the AVS Forum. I thought you guys said this was supposed to be a great transfer. Folks on AVS are saying it basically the same as the HD-DVD transfer; and not that good.
Having now wasted an hour of my life reading the 8 or 9 pages at AVS, I'd like to defend my Blu-Ray reviews of the two titles by saying that whatever others may have said in their reviews, mine were full of comments like "the need for remastering those elements important if any future upgraded versions are released". Even on AVS (which is not the be all, end all of what constitutes truth in picture quality), there were a number of people that agreed this version looked better or at very least substantially similar to the HD-DVD version, many people upgrading to a format that is supported rather than having to revert to low resolution. The audio was also a major step forward over anything that has come out before (to the ears of myself and my friend that checked them out with me) and while the extras were in SD, there were a lot of them unlike import versions.
Old 08-07-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by movielib
I have a Samsung BD-P1400 player which hasn't had any trouble playing anything until now. It will not play either Mummy or Mummy Returns. When I press play it shows the disclaimers but when the film is supposed to start the screen goes black. Then the player won't respond to any command except for turning it off.

I haven't installed any updated firmware because it played everything until now. I called Samsung and they are sending me the latest firmware update (I'm too computer illiterate to try burning my own disc) and I'll try that when it comes. I'm wondering if the new Universal discs are a problem with my unupdated player. Has anyone else had this problem?
I got the firmware update disc today and ran it. Now everything works! Woohoo 2

Last edited by movielib; 08-07-08 at 10:25 PM.