Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
I can deal with cardboard, but please let these be the same size as standard HD cases. The Warner books sticking up bug the hell out of me and those full DVD size Sopranos sets are probably going in with the DVDs. Can't stand having those monoliths stuck in the HD section.
From looking at pictures they may just slightly taller than the standard Elite-style Blu-ray cases, but -- save for the rounded corners -- they look to match up well with the Band of Brothers BD trays and the difference there is negligible. Width looks about the same or a nominal increase due to the cardstock backing, if that.
Old 11-23-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Adboy151
From looking at pictures they may just slightly taller than the standard Elite-style Blu-ray cases, but -- save for the rounded corners -- they look to match up well with the Band of Brothers BD trays and the difference there is negligible. Width looks about the same or a nominal increase due to the cardstock backing, if that.
That isn't too bad. I would prefer the standard BD cases and if they wanted to be fancy a slip cover, but this isn't the end of the world.
Old 11-23-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my DVD Digipak's either.
Old 11-23-08, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Just when I thought I might actually own a Criterion or two. WTF. Criterion, stop being retarded and get a typical Miramax Blu-ray case, darken it a little so it's dark-blue, which would still let people know this is a Blu-ray disc, but with a little distinction. Not this 'tard digipak crap. Create some fancy inserts and blah blah blah, but don't change the fucking industry-standard packaging of Blu-ray movies, thanks. Buncha idiots. Christ, I'm so pissed at studios who do this shit.
there is no "industry-standard packaging" if there was all Blu discs cases would look the same

I laughed at those who wouldn't buy the Target version of the IM BD because it wouldn't be uniform with the rest of their collection... you know what, get over it ... there is and is going to continue to be different packaging through the life of this format, if it comes earlier for BD than it did for SD dvd than so be it.

I don't remember a huge uproar about the LOTR extended edition packaging as an example and I doubt there would be an uproar if the BDs came out today packaged in a similar fashion.

If you want your own uniform packaging invest in a good printer and some empty BD cases because the studios aren't going to do it for you.
Old 11-23-08, 11:23 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Difference between the Iron Man BD packaging is we could buy a normal version if we wanted to. Criterion is forcing us to buy these cheap looking cases. What other options do we have?
Old 11-23-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Difference between the Iron Man BD packaging is we could buy a normal version if we wanted to. Criterion is forcing us to buy these cheap looking cases. What other options do we have?
Originally Posted by musick
If you want your own uniform packaging invest in a good printer and some empty BD cases because the studios aren't going to do it for you.
ps. no one is forcing you to do anything
Old 11-24-08, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by musick
there is no "industry-standard packaging" if there was all Blu discs cases would look the same.
Well, they are all blue-ish in color. Plastic. Have a Blu-ray logo in the top-center of the blue-ish case. They all snap close by some form of plastic lever. Some come with slipcovers...but I can take those fuckers off if I choose to.

I'd say this is pretty close to being a standard by the major studios. If not in writing...it's implied and all the other studios seem to do reasonably well.
Old 11-24-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gjamesm
Hate the packaging. Canceled my preorders. Can't believe Criterion would drop the ball like this.
That's sound logic right there.
Old 11-24-08, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Well, they are all blue-ish in color. Plastic. Have a Blu-ray logo in the top-center of the blue-ish case. They all snap close by some form of plastic lever. Some come with slipcovers...but I can take those fuckers off if I choose to.

I'd say this is pretty close to being a standard by the major studios. If not in writing...it's implied and all the other studios seem to do reasonably well.
there is a difference between most common and industry standard
there is no industry standard
Old 11-24-08, 02:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There's not an industry standard, simply most commonly used cases.

However, the most commonly used cases are decidedly more sturdy and attractive than these digipacks. This is DVD Talk. If we don't complain about this stuff here, where will we go to complain about it? Some people love the packaging, and others, like me, hate it. One member is boycotting the releases because of it. I may simply chuck my Man Who Fell To Earth DVD and put the Blu-ray in its case, because the packaging on the DVD version rocks.
Old 11-24-08, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't like that packaging (I, too, would prefer the typical jobbies), but that sure as hell won't stop me from buying these AWESOME discs!
Old 11-24-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Man these cases aren't cheap! These cases be sweeet! I just aint gonna set it in no pool of water.
Old 11-24-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not to derail the mob not-so-quietly forming over the cases, but anyone else a little taken aback by Criterion possibly adding to consumer confusion over Blu-ray with how they are integrating them into the collection?

Why are they refusing to start the Blu-ray collection at number 1? It is silly, from Laserdisc to DVD there was a reset. Blu-ray is a wholly separate format from SD-DVD. The way Criterion is going about this will only reinforce what the masses think, which is that Blu-ray is a just some other "type" of DVD instead of what it is, the next step in home entertainment (VHS-Laserdisc-DVD-Blu-ray).

Also, what is the deal with no indication that the film is a Blu-ray other than that obnoxious sticker on the front cover "Blu-ray special edition." Again, all that does is give the signal that Blu-ray is merely another type of DVD. I can picture j6p going, "Oh, I just got the Blu-ray edition of X on DVD" (That makes no sense!) I really wish Criterion would have made a bigger deal about Blu-ray or at the very least not marketed/packaged it as a mere "type of DVD."
Old 11-24-08, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I fully agree with all of that.

I'm sure the actual content on the discs will be great, the audio and visuals, but they seem to have dropped the ball on everything else. I can just imagine what sort of BR exclusive extras they could come up with.

It's like they don't yet have faith in the format, and these first few releases are nothing more than a trial run.
Old 11-24-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I predict a rash of return attempts and burnt customers as a result of a) the confusing packaging, and b) same price point as the DVD.

I say "attempts" of course, because the stores won't take 'em back because they're already open......
Old 11-24-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Not to derail the mob not-so-quietly forming over the cases, but anyone else a little taken aback by Criterion possibly adding to consumer confusion over Blu-ray with how they are integrating them into the collection?

Why are they refusing to start the Blu-ray collection at number 1? It is silly, from Laserdisc to DVD there was a reset. Blu-ray is a wholly separate format from SD-DVD. The way Criterion is going about this will only reinforce what the masses think, which is that Blu-ray is a just some other "type" of DVD instead of what it is, the next step in home entertainment (VHS-Laserdisc-DVD-Blu-ray).

Also, what is the deal with no indication that the film is a Blu-ray other than that obnoxious sticker on the front cover "Blu-ray special edition." Again, all that does is give the signal that Blu-ray is merely another type of DVD. I can picture j6p going, "Oh, I just got the Blu-ray edition of X on DVD" (That makes no sense!) I really wish Criterion would have made a bigger deal about Blu-ray or at the very least not marketed/packaged it as a mere "type of DVD."
The DVD and Blu-rays are in 2 very different packages. I'm happy that they aren't starting from scratch with their Blu-rays. The obsessive collector in me would then be buying every new DVD and Blu-ray.
Old 11-24-08, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

I agree that Criterion should be making a bigger distinction between their Blu-Ray and DVD releases with a reset of numbers, if nothing for simple organization. The lack of a major indicator that it's a Blu-Ray disc is odd as well. However, we're talking about the Criterion Collection - the vast majority of these titles aren't geared towards the masses (ie. J6P) anyways. The typical Criterion purchaser is probably someone who can make the distinction. If this were done by a major studio like Paramount or Fox then it would be a big concern.
Old 11-24-08, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
I agree that Criterion should be making a bigger distinction between their Blu-Ray and DVD releases with a reset of numbers, if nothing for simple organization. The lack of a major indicator that it's a Blu-Ray disc is odd as well. However, we're talking about the Criterion Collection - the vast majority of these titles aren't geared towards the masses (ie. J6P) anyways. The typical Criterion purchaser is probably someone who can make the distinction. If this were done by a major studio like Paramount or Fox then it would be a big concern.
But, then why even bother re-numbering when they moved from Laserdisc to DVD? The point is that it is a different medium. Just like their DVD collection is different from their Laserdisc collection, their Blu-ray collection should be different than their DVD collection. I don't get why people would have an issue with the re-numbering. Blu-ray is not a different "edition" of the DVD release, it is a wholly separate medium. It is like releasing it on VHS and DVD.
Old 11-24-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

But, then why even bother re-numbering when they moved from Laserdisc to DVD? The point is that it is a different medium. Just like their DVD collection is different from their Laserdisc collection, their Blu-ray collection should be different than their DVD collection. I don't get why people would have an issue with the re-numbering. Blu-ray is not a different "edition" of the DVD release, it is a wholly separate medium. It is like releasing it on VHS and DVD.
I could go either way with it. I don't really care. But maybe their thinking is that more new customers would buy into Criterion with DVDs than they ever did with LD so that justified a new collection with numbers. Plus probably half the titles from LD weren't even available to Criterion any longer.

Blu Ray isn't going to attract new Criterion customers at this point but just people who already have the DVDs, thus the same numbering.
Old 11-24-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never understood people organizing their discs by the Criterion spine numbers, anyway. I alphabetize my Criterion discs right in with all my other discs. For me, the spine number is no more meaningful than any of the serial numbers on the spines of my non-Criterion discs.
Old 11-24-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I've never understood people organizing their numbered discs by the Criterion alphabetically, anyway. For me, the first letter of the title is no more meaningful than any of the letters on the my non-Criterion discs.
fixed

why must we judge how other people do things.
Someone who puts DVDs in alphabetical order shaking their head at someone who puts DVDs in numerical order is equivalent to someone who eats all the green M&Ms first shaking their head at someone who eats all the red M&Ms first.

Last edited by ivelostr2; 11-24-08 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ivelostr2
fixed

Someone who puts DVDs in alphabetical order shaking their head at someone who puts DVDs in numerical order is equivalent to someone who eats all the green M&Ms first shaking their head at someone who eats all the red M&Ms first.
Worse yet, I know a person who will only buy and eat red M&Ms!

I'm going to assume that Criterion decided to continue with the same number sequence because they felt they would sell more titles if they could get the dvd collectors to continue buying to complete the spine numbers. Perhaps they figured that would be a more feasible idea than getting people with 400 or so Criterion DVDs to rebuy every title?
Old 11-24-08, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I've never understood people organizing their discs by the Criterion spine numbers, anyway. I alphabetize my Criterion discs right in with all my other discs. For me, the spine number is no more meaningful than any of the serial numbers on the spines of my non-Criterion discs.
I organize by studio except with TV. Just works in my head for me. Yes I know Criterion isn't a studio, but it just looks right to me.
Old 11-24-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by MBoyd
Blu Ray isn't going to attract new Criterion customers at this point but just people who already have the DVDs, thus the same numbering.
Why? Because the only generation of film lovers with a particular interest in all things Criterion ends with the DVD era? This has got to be one of the biggest speculations I've read on this forum. It is both ignorant and insulting at the same time.

Unlike the hundreds of thousands of blockbusters that you see on DVD, the overwhelming majority of them being notably devalued, the Criterion collection, with a few minor exceptions, has proven to be unaffected by DVD's dramatic market decline (read: lack of appeal amongst new consumers). On the contrary, due to the fact that Criterion houses some of world cinema's greatest films it has managed to be the beacon of hope amongst a sea of struggling independent distribs. In fact, I would go as far as to claim that they have one of the most dedicated fan bases. And for you to come here and claim that its appeal isn't likely to expand as Blu-ray does is simply a very naive statement. Unless, of course, you happen to believe that your generation, whatever that age group might be, is the last one that will be interested in classic cinema.

Times change, generations change, and so do formats. There will always be enough people willing to buy a Renoir film on Blu-ray. Just as there were enough people to buy Renoir films on DVD after VHS died.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 11-24-08 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-24-08, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Who says we must?!

Someone presuming that someone mentioning that they aren't in the Criterion number camp is necessarily shaking his head at that camp is equivalent to someone who... oh, I don't have a good analogy, but I wasn't judging anyone, just saying that I don't understand it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.