HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.
View Poll Results: PS3 Owners: What Do You Use It For?
Blu-ray/DVD Playback Only
29.52%
Blu-ray/DVD Playback AND Games
69.05%
Games Only
1.43%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

PS3 Owners: What Do You Use It For?

Old 05-07-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

PS3 Owners: What Do You Use It For?

Although the sample set on this forum will be admitedly skewed, there's been much debate around this topic, and I just wondered what a poll would reveal.
Old 05-07-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I originally bought it for BD playback only. However, it seemed silly to me to not at least pick up a couple of games. I now find that I'm gaming on it much more than watching movies.
Old 05-07-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Same here. I originally intended to use it strictly for BD movies, but it felt like wasted potential not picking up a few games. Currently, I'm pretty much only watching movies on it, but I do intend to get back into the games when I have the time.
Old 05-07-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
I originally bought it for BD playback only. However, it seemed silly to me to not at least pick up a couple of games. I now find that I'm gaming on it much more than watching movies.
Exactly the same thing with me.
Old 05-07-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its' funny. I've had a PS3 since November, and have watched exactly 1 BD on it: Enchanted.

There frankly is very little out on BD that I'm at all interested in, or that I don't already have on SD or HD-DVD

I will be getting cloverfield and TWBB, so those I'll watch.

As for games, NHLK08 is the only one I own.
Old 05-07-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

both but watch movie a lot more.

2 games & 154 movies.
Old 05-07-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I spent $350 - $80 = $270 (sale of PS2) on my 20GB last summer, it was for its dual value as the only real Blu-ray player worth buying, and for playing games, eventually. And I sold my PS2 slim for $80, meaning I spent $270 on a PS2/Blu-ray box that I might buy some PS3 games for, eventually.

The only PS3 game I "own" is Tekken 5 DR online, downloaded from the PS3 store. Everything else I've bought on the 360, and no exclusives have interested me.

I do hope to play some games on it eventually, like White Knight Story. My wife wants to play Heavenly Sword, and I'd like to, but for me it's a sub-$20 game.

I put both, but realistically it's a BD player for now.
Old 05-07-08, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Both. More-so gaming than movie watching. BDs still cost too much for me for what I'll get out of them (I learned my lesson from the mounds of DVDs I bought but only watched once or not at all.) I love high def (and almost have to have it with my setup), but I'm just too broke for it (that said, the catalog still kinda stinks, though I do want to pick up Run lola Run and Gattaca at some point.)
Old 05-07-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've downloaded a few demo games, but I don't see myself ever buying a game for the PS3. I use it strictly for Blu-ray playback, at least for now. If it wasn't the best value in BD players, I would not own one.

I think it would be interesting to duplicate this poll in the Video Games forum and compare the results.
Old 05-07-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I use it mainly for Blu-Ray and DVD but I do own 4 games. I only play games maybe once a week with my son. I use it for Blu or DVD 5-7 times a week.
Old 05-07-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got it for BR.
Have dl'd a few games (Super Stardust HD and Super Puzzle Fighter) both awesome btw.

Looking forward to buying a 'real' game soon. Perhaps that Star Wars game or the new Unreal or Burnout when it gets cheaper.
Old 05-07-08, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use it for games and BDs as well as dvds. I also use it to store and watch episodes of some of my favorite shows as well as a housing over a hundred of my favorite cds. I also like to browse the internet with it when I don't feel like getting my computer out. I guess I could say that I get full value out of it.
Old 05-07-08, 03:43 PM

I technically use it for both, but I only have two games, Uncharted and MLB 08: The Show. They are both amazing games, but about 99.9% of all my gaming takes place on my 360. I'd say it's about 95% Bluray/5% games. I really need to play through Uncharted again, such a great game. Feel like I am playing a movie.
Old 05-07-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I voted for both even though I seldom use it for Blu-Ray. I had some issues with Enchanted and Walk Hard on the BD30 with audio so I went to the PS3.

For now it is largely for gaming - GTA IV hasn't left the player since the 29th.
Old 05-07-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have two 20GB PS3's. I own nearly 200 Blu-ray titles and ZERO PS3 games.

I have played some games on it however. My friend has Virtua Fighter 5, and I'd probably pick up Motorstorm if the price ever got lowered.

I bought it with the express purpose of using it as a Blu-ray player though.
Old 05-07-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It used to be more for BD movies, but recently I've been playing games on it as well.
Old 05-07-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Yavin
Same here. I originally intended to use it strictly for BD movies, but it felt like wasted potential not picking up a few games. Currently, I'm pretty much only watching movies on it, but I do intend to get back into the games when I have the time.
Same here. Got Orange Box and Ratchet and Clank and have LOST on the way. Don't see getting much more unless something exclusive comes along, and I think I can actually play it.

By FAR I spend more time watching Blu-ray on it!
Old 05-07-08, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking about getting a PS3 for a Blu-Ray player, and to play games also of course.

How quiet is the system while playing a movie, compared to other Blu-Ray players?
Old 05-07-08, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Same here.
Another ditto.

I've only picked up Rock Band and Ratchet and Clank on my own dime for it, and I got Assassin's Creed as a gift. I bought it as a BD player in mind.
Old 05-07-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My primary use is actually a DVD player. Excellent upconversion and seamless layer changes. Second would probably be Blu Ray movies but I only have a few titles now. I don't plan on replacing my entire collection. Finally I do play games sometimes but I only have a few of the $10 games you download. So I use it for all its functions but mostly for movies.
Old 05-07-08, 05:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Same here. Got Orange Box and Ratchet and Clank and have LOST on the way. Don't see getting much more unless something exclusive comes along, and I think I can actually play it.

By FAR I spend more time watching Blu-ray on it!
If you haven't played it before, don't open it. Just return it before it's too late.

If you've played it, and you liked it... what's wrong with you?? I tried to play it (although, on the PC, so it may be different... but not much...), and it was horrendous... and I LOVE the TV show.
Old 05-07-08, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Got it strictly for Blu-ray since I already own an Xbox 360. The only PS3 exclusive that's out that I have any interest in is MLB '08 The Show which I intend to buy when it comes down in price. That'll probably be my first PS3 game.
Old 05-07-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I bought it and use it for both Blu-Ray and gaming.
Old 05-07-08, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

I use it for both. There should be a 'Media Center' option as well. I use it quite a bit to stream audio/video.
Old 05-07-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Two words - crispy tacos. The PS3 really does everything.

Seriously, I bought it and use it primarily for Blu Ray, but I do throw in the occasional DVD and have bought a couple of games.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.