Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Don't buy Fox old movie Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Don't buy Fox old movie Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by truelies
I think the price for old movie is not so reasonable:
Shouldn't DVDTalk have a system in place where you have to have a decent amount of meaningful posts before you can start threads?

I've seen some of this guys other threads, and I believe he's from Texas, so the Pidgin English is pretty annoying.
Old 04-27-08, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts
texas, heh i thought he was french.
Old 04-27-08, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lizard
Believe it or not, some of us are on a budget. We choose to limit our spending on "luxuries" such as DVDs or BDs. Is the BD really worth that much more than a DVD? For some of us, it depends on the title.

In addition we have noticed, over the years, that disc prices tend to drop over time. Someone who sets a limit of $15 per title knows perfectly well that in six months or a year that BD will go on sale and be available for less than that figure. Why pay $20 or $30 now?

Consider this: suppose BDs cost $50 each. Would you still buy the same number of BDs (and only BDs)? If so, you must be quite wealthy. If not, then there is a limit to the value you place on Blu-ray Discs.

If, for you, money is not limiting then go for it. Others of us will continue to attempt to be frugal in the pursuit of our home theater hobby.

Agreed.

For some people, $20 is fine and say "hi-def is so much better, it is worth it". What if the BD was $50? What about $100?

To me, $30-$40 is the same as $100 would be for some of you. I'd pay that for LOTR on release date. I reluctantly paid $23.50 for 300 on release day. That was my most expensive HD-DVD/BD purchase to date.

Once they strip out the special features off the DVD in a blatant attempt to double-dip on it some day in a few years, it becomes worth virtually nothing to me. I'll wait, thanks. Thank god LOTR isn't a Fox property.

It's the same movie on DVD...the hi-def is just prettier on the 106". I still get to see the same movie, in OAR, on DVD.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 04-27-08 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-27-08, 06:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey

Agreed.

For some people, $20 is fine and say "hi-def is so much better, it is worth it". What if the BD was $50? What about $100?

To me, $30-$40 is the same as $100 would be for some of you. I'd pay that for LOTR on release date. I reluctantly paid $23.50 for 300 on release day. That was my most expensive HD-DVD/BD purchase to date.

Once they strip out the special features off the DVD in a blatant attempt to double-dip on it some day in a few years, it becomes worth virtually nothing to me. I'll wait, thanks. Thank god LOTR isn't a Fox property.

It's the same movie on DVD...the hi-def is just prettier on the 106". I still get to see the same movie, in OAR, on DVD.
Anything over $25 is bullshit for catalog titles. That's the problem with Fox. Of course, there are rare exceptions like that Steelbook T2 HD-DVD. I'm not paying more than $35 for that though. I won't even pay over $25 for new releases unless I really want them. I'll be sick if Mrs Doubtfire isn't under $30 somewhere on release week. I've been waiting to replace my VHS of it forever and I couldn't see the point in grabbing the SE DVD knowing that the BD was scheduled for release.

Last edited by Viper187; 04-27-08 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-27-08, 07:36 PM

Believe it or not, some of us are on a budget. We choose to limit our spending on "luxuries" such as DVDs or BDs. Is the BD really worth that much more than a DVD? For some of us, it depends on the title.

In addition we have noticed, over the years, that disc prices tend to drop over time. Someone who sets a limit of $15 per title knows perfectly well that in six months or a year that BD will go on sale and be available for less than that figure. Why pay $20 or $30 now?

Consider this: suppose BDs cost $50 each. Would you still buy the same number of BDs (and only BDs)? If so, you must be quite wealthy. If not, then there is a limit to the value you place on Blu-ray Discs.

If, for you, money is not limiting then go for it. Others of us will continue to attempt to be frugal in the pursuit of our home theater hobby.
Everyones on a budget, be they rich or poor. For some that means not buying a multinational corporation, while others it mean not spending 2.5k on speakers, others not buy HD discs etc.

So, there's a limit to the value people place on everything. Frugal is a relative term. All in all, I don't think anyone's to say what's frugal for anyone but themselves. Not that I disagree with much of what your saying...just saying.
Old 04-27-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
I guess my personal philosophy on home theater is it's silly for me to spend thousands on a beautiful display and audio system, spend money annually to have it professionally calibrated, and then not get the best version of a film available in terms of PQ/AQ. It's not about looking prettier, it's about getting as close to a film-like presentation as possible. HDM has been a revelation in that regard.
Old 04-28-08, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mostly off topic, but i just wanted to thank everyone for the advice on amazon's 30 day post-price guarentee. I had bought 6 movies on their recent B2G1 sale. Because of their recent price fluctuations on all of the movies i purchased, i'm getting 26 bucks back. That's a steal right there.
Old 04-28-08, 09:12 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
I'm not sure why the option here is spending $28 for a Fox Blu-ray or buying the much cheaper DVD. Why not just rent the blu-ray version? I could never justify spending a dime on DVD anymore for anything other that a few non-HD TV shows or some old foreign films.
Old 04-28-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bunkaroo
There's nothing wrong with being frugal.

Personally, I prefer to get the disc when I want it, and not spend any time hunting down bargains. Life's too short.

I know the inevitable reply will be "I hardly spend any time at all", etc., but *personally*, I'd rather get my discs from the same trusted source every week. I hate having to manage stuff like orders from multiple vendors.
That's perfectly valid. In effect you are paying for convenience. For me, my time is essentially free. And some of us consider bargain hunting a "game". There are a number of people here who spend a lot of time playing video games; I play a different sort of game: finding a good deal.
Another way I tend to look at many new release titles is, I would have went to the theater to see them but I hate the theater for the most part these days. So, the cost of two tickets plus gas, forget about snacks, is equal to what I would spend on a Blu-Ray of a new title. This is why I don't mind for a minute spending $24 at Amazon for Golden Compass. Rationalizaton? Sure. But so is rationalizing waiting X months for a deal.
You are not alone in preferring your home theater to a regular theater. I think I made it to the movie theater three times last year (it is a 60 mile round trip). But I still would like to save money on my disc purchases if I can; for me it is necessary because my income is meager (albeit by choice).
Again, frugality is fine. I thought the debate here was whether a high-def version of a movie is intrinsically worth more than a DVD - not a title by title thing.
I would like to think that almost everyone in the HD forum thinks that HD discs are superior to SD DVDs, save for the occasional troll who feels he has to drop by and loudly proclaim that DVDs are good enough and that we are all fools for buying BDs (and HD DVDs). The point I was trying to make is that it does not follow that because BDs are superior one MUST pay much higher prices for them. It is possible to get them for fairly little with patience.

What bugs me, and this is NOT directed at you, are those who choose to assume that if one is not willing to pay $20 to $30 for a Blu-ray Disc then one is somehow against High Def.
Old 04-28-08, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
The point I was trying to make is that it does not follow that because BDs are superior one MUST pay much higher prices for them. It is possible to get them for fairly little with patience.
That was my point. It's not that I'm going to rush out and buy that $5 SD version of I, Robot, it is what value is the quality difference. Is the BD really worth $25+ more than it's SD counterpart? Not a chance. So I play the waiting game.

While I play the waiting game Netflix is the way to go. Having bought hundreds of DVDs over the years, most of which only got 1 view, I'm not repeating history in hi-def. I'll wait and be frugal. Just my two cents.
Old 04-28-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thecrackedjack2
Everyones on a budget, be they rich or poor. For some that means not buying a multinational corporation, while others it mean not spending 2.5k on speakers, others not buy HD discs etc.
I disagree. In my experience, which is considerable in this area, "budget" is a foreign concept to many.
So, there's a limit to the value people place on everything. Frugal is a relative term. All in all, I don't think anyone's to say what's frugal for anyone but themselves. Not that I disagree with much of what your saying...just saying.
Again, I disagree. While I will accept that "frugal" can be a relative term to some degree, there are those to whom it can't possibly apply. For example: someone who goes into debt to buy things other than basic necessities (food, clothing, shelter, health care, and the like) can't by any stretch of imagination be considered "frugal".

While I would guess that there aren't many here in the HD forum who go into debt to buy shiny discs, I can assure you that at DVD Talk in general, there are many such people. I have seen their posts repeatedly over the years. Such people can't be considered "frugal". Yes, it is JMO, but I am sticking to it.
Old 04-28-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD
I'm not sure why the option here is spending $28 for a Fox Blu-ray or buying the much cheaper DVD. Why not just rent the blu-ray version? I could never justify spending a dime on DVD anymore for anything other that a few non-HD TV shows or some old foreign films.
I actually do rent a fair amount of titles. However, I usually only do it for catalog titles I haven't see or don't need to see more than once.

It's still fairly difficult to get day and dates from Netflix, and I personally choose not to patronize Blockbuster locally.

I'd say most of Fox's catalog titles are movies I like enough to own.

That may be where people differ. To, a movie I might view once every year or two equals owning for my collections. For others, a movie watched at that frequency equals renting.

As lizard said, it comes down to paying a premium for convenience.
Old 04-28-08, 02:19 PM

I disagree. In my experience, which is considerable in this area, "budget" is a foreign concept to many.
Again, I disagree. While I will accept that "frugal" can be a relative term to some degree, there are those to whom it can't possibly apply. For example: someone who goes into debt to buy things other than basic necessities (food, clothing, shelter, health care, and the like) can't by any stretch of imagination be considered "frugal".

While I would guess that there aren't many here in the HD forum who go into debt to buy shiny discs, I can assure you that at DVD Talk in general, there are many such people. I have seen their posts repeatedly over the years. Such people can't be considered "frugal". Yes, it is JMO, but I am sticking to it.
Even the United States of America has a budget. Budget just doesn't refer to "cheap". It's how much money you dedicate to things, relative to how much money you have. It really doesn't matter if it's a foreign concept to many. Yes, people may not follow or even recognize such things, but but its still there.

Frugal is relative to how much you make. For one person it could be buying 1 Ferrari instead of 2. For the others something entirely different. It doesn't mean a person has to be frugal, like your example. Of course many people aren't going to be frugal, don't know why you'd bring that up. But it doesn't negate it from being a relative term.

Last edited by thecrackedjack2; 04-28-08 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-28-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even the United States of America has a budget. Budget just doesn't refer to "cheap". It's how much money you dedicate to things, relative to how much money you have. It really doesn't matter if it's a foreign concept to many. Yes, people may not follow or even recognize such things, but but its still there.

Frugal is relative to how much you make. For one person it could be buying 1 Ferrari instead of 2. For the others something entirely different. It doesn't mean a person has to be frugal, like your example. Of course many people aren't going to be frugal, don't know why you'd bring that up. But it doesn't negate it from being a relative term.

I don't think buying a Ferrari could under any circumstance be considered "frugal". I recognize your exaggeration there, but frugality is not as subjective as you imply. True frugality is just getting by on the bare necessities, not simply living below your means.
Old 04-28-08, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by applesandrice
I don't think buying a Ferrari could under any circumstance be considered "frugal". I recognize your exaggeration there, but frugality is not as subjective as you imply. True frugality is just getting by on the bare necessities, not simply living below your means.
I realize theres a little leverage here and I see what your getting at. But if we are talking about true frugality then buying any DVD's, CD's, hell everything on this forum is out. And thats not what we seem to be talking about here. Because HD media is pretty damn far from necessity.

So, I think think it would be frugal to buy 1 Ferrari if you could afford to buy a whole garage full of them. You and I don't think so because we don't have that kind of money. And things like DVD's are more on our level. I took frugality as discussed in this thread to mean something different than its actual hard definition, that's all.

Last edited by thecrackedjack2; 04-28-08 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-28-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just wanted to add that I hope people aren't taking the term "frugal" to be negative or "uncool".

My fiancee and I are DINK's (dual income, no kids). We don't have any desire to have kids, and we both have well paying jobs. That coupled with my life experience has made me adopt a philosophy of enjoying myself now while I can.

There are times when I stop and think about what I could have done with some of the money I've spent on home theater, but this is what I enjoy, so I'm going to keep at it.
Old 04-28-08, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You clearly do not understand the meaning of "budget".
I disagree completely. You may, of course, believe what you will.

This discussion is pretty far off-topic and I've nothing further to add to what I've already said in previous posts.
Old 04-28-08, 05:42 PM

You clearly do not understand the meaning of "budget".
I disagree completely. You may, of course, believe what you will.

This discussion is pretty far off-topic and I've nothing further to add to what I've already said in previous posts.
That would be you that doesn't understand sir. I said, "It's how much money you dedicate to things, relative to how much money you have."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/budget

a. An itemized summary of estimated or intended expenditures for a given period along with proposals for financing them: submitted the annual budget to Congress.
b. A systematic plan for the expenditure of a usually fixed resource, such as money or time, during a given period: A new car will not be part of our budget this year.
c. The total sum of money allocated for a particular purpose or period of time

I understand quite well thanks

Last edited by thecrackedjack2; 04-28-08 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-30-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Old Cary Grant fine
Old 04-30-08, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
That would be you that doesn't understand sir. I said, "It's how much money you dedicate to things, relative to how much money you have."

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/budget

a. An itemized summary of estimated or intended expenditures for a given period along with proposals for financing them: submitted the annual budget to Congress.
b. A systematic plan for the expenditure of a usually fixed resource, such as money or time, during a given period: A new car will not be part of our budget this year.
c. The total sum of money allocated for a particular purpose or period of time

I understand quite well thanks
to be fair to lizard, you also said, "Yes, people may not follow or even recognize such things, but its still there," which is contradictory to the definition you posted which calls a budget a systematic plan. if you're not following or recognizing the plan, then you don't have a budget, which is the point i believe he was trying to make.
Old 04-30-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The only reason I have the number of BDs that I have now is because I don't plunk down the amount that Fox charges for a BD -- even with Amazon's 30% discount bringing it down to ~$28. I wanted to blind buy Golden Compass this week, but it's just too much money! All this means is that I have to rent, or wait for a few months when the price will come down like some of their other discs. I tend to find if I can make it past the first week of release (when the impulse to buy is extremely high), I'm able to wait with relative ease.

EDIT: It appears that Paramount's pricing is going to match Fox's $39.99 MSRP, which is unfortunate.

Last edited by bookcase3; 05-01-08 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-03-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, Fry's is having a 14.99 sale for many "Fox old movie Blu-Ray's" including the recently released I, Robot and ID4.
Old 05-03-08, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank
to be fair to lizard, you also said, "Yes, people may not follow or even recognize such things, but its still there," which is contradictory to the definition you posted which calls a budget a systematic plan. if you're not following or recognizing the plan, then you don't have a budget, which is the point i believe he was trying to make.
True, but I don't think it necessarily has to be systematic, per definition 3. Take a little from each definition and I think I was correct in my saying. Many definitions also simply repeat the word they are defining, so I don't think you can take them a 100 percent face value.

My point was that each person has a something in their mind (a la the conscience or whatever) that tells them whether or not a purchase will fit in with how much money they have. That may not be the technical definition of budget, but I think the gist of it's there. And whether or not they recognize or follow that, doesn't negate that it's there.
Old 05-04-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts
True, but I don't think it necessarily has to be systematic, per definition 3. Take a little from each definition and I think I was correct in my saying. Many definitions also simply repeat the word they are defining, so I don't think you can take them a 100 percent face value.
wow, that's a serious semantic game you're playing there. you can't just pick and choose elements from the different definitions to create your own new one to fit your argument. and if you don't think definitions are worth taking at face value, then why even post one in the first place to support your argument? someone could simply say to you, "that doesn't mean anything - you can't take definitions at face value. this is what the word really means..."

My point was that each person has a something in their mind (a la the conscience or whatever) that tells them whether or not a purchase will fit in with how much money they have. That may not be the technical definition of budget, but I think the gist of it's there. And whether or not they recognize or follow that, doesn't negate that it's there.
i disagree completely. the number of americans with thousands of dollars in credit card debt disproves your point. have you ever talked to any of them? they nearly always say it just happened without them even realizing it or having any inkling that they were spending too much.