HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Question - Planet Earth HD-DVD

Old 04-21-08, 07:14 PM

Question - Planet Earth HD-DVD

I was able to pick this up at my local Fry's for 39.99. They had two versions of the BBC version though. One had review quotes from London papers and the other version had review quotes from US papers and had mention of the packaging being from recycled products. Anyone know if there is any difference in the actual discs? I know some people have reported issues with playback and just wanted to know if I should gone for the "US version" which I assume may have been a more recent pressing.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.
Old 04-21-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You want the BBC Version with Attenborough's narration. The US version may have been with Sigourney Weaver and shorter. I can't 100% confirm if they made two editions for the HD DVD though.
Old 04-21-08, 07:22 PM

They were both the BBC version with Attenborough's narration. They just seemed to have different outer cases. When I referred to the "US" version, it was just that the quotes on the back came from US papers rather than UK papers and the one with the US reviews had the referrence to the packaging being made form recycled materials. I am certain that both of these verisons were not the Discovery Channel labeled version with Sigourney Weaver.
Old 04-21-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Maybe one was from the UK and one was from the US. They should be identical pressings.
Old 04-25-08, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

be a completest!

Get 'em both!

... seriously though - just close your eyes and pick one