HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Golden Compass (Blu-ray) ---- 4/29/08

Old 04-17-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Golden Compass (Blu-ray) ---- 4/29/08

Just got my screener copy of The Golden Compass....

Includes slipcover (first for Newline!). Really nice, shiny gold slip cover. All special features are in HD (on disc 2), and includes visual commentary (I assume Profile 1.1/2.0 only but have yet to watch it).

If anyone is interested I will post impressions of it or post a link to my review which should be coming on Saturday (if the mods allow it of course). I plan on watching this baby tonight!

Last edited by Gizmo; 04-17-08 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-17-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This would be a definite purchase for me if it included the rumored original cut. As is, I'm going to, try, to hold off until a future release as it really plays like an incomplete and rushed version.
Old 04-17-08, 09:10 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Glad I ordered through columbia house during the big sale. Got 4 free criterions with it too. Looks very nice.
Old 04-17-08, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hairspray had a slipcover, Gizmo. Did you skip that one?
Old 04-17-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oops, it did! It was more clear though, like Transformers, right?
Old 04-17-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, much of it was clear, with a different image over the cover (kind of like the Swimming with Sharks SE DVD).
Old 04-17-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow! This movie was awesome! I hope we get the sequels...

As per PQ wise...pretty damn good.
Old 04-18-08, 01:26 AM
Banned by request

Hopefully now we'll be able to see all those Oscar winning special effects hiding behind the SFX that were visible in the theater.
Old 04-18-08, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"Now you, too, can own the movie that helped to bring the end of a major motion picture studio!"
Old 04-18-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Hopefully now we'll be able to see all those Oscar winning special effects hiding behind the SFX that were visible in the theater.
Old 04-18-08, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Vipper II
"Now you, too, can own the movie that helped to bring the end of a major motion picture studio!"
Heaven's Gate on Blu-ray?
Old 04-18-08, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vipper II

Yeah, bummer the sequel will never get made (slim chance). Apparently the second book is much better.
Old 04-18-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I may blind buy this one, not sure yet. I do hope that we'll start getting New Line catalog titles soon. 1 title every 2 months just isn't cutting it.
Old 04-18-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Yeah, bummer the sequel will never get made (slim chance). Apparently the second book is much better.
As I said in another thread for this title in DVD Talk, this film made quite a chunk of change abroad and no one should write off a sequel until they see how much money it makes on home video. Personally I like the first book the best, but I'd certainly like to see the whole His Dark Materials trilogy made especially considering how much of a cliffhanger they left this first movie with...
Old 04-18-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm gonna DL the audio books later...really enjoyed the film.
Tough film to review though.
Old 04-18-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I disagree with you about the movie I liked it and you hated it I will agree with you that giving it the special effects Oscar was absurd. But, then, Oscars have long been rather random at times and I pay them little attention.

Nevertheless, I have had The Golden Compass - BD pre-ordered since February, not that I can watch it since I don't have a player yet.

So, please don't rain on the parade of those (few?) of us who actually enjoyed the movie. I try to refrain from commenting on the movies that others, including you, hyperventilate about but don't interest me. Though I freely admit that I am the antithesis of a cinephile.

Last edited by lizard; 04-18-08 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-18-08, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by rfduncan
As I said in another thread for this title in DVD Talk, this film made quite a chunk of change abroad
And as many have pointed out in other threads...

...New Line/Warners saw virtually NONE of that overseas money, due to selling off the foreign rights.

Unless they can cut a new deal for the sequels, they'll probably never get made.
Old 04-18-08, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lizard
While I disagree with you about the movie I liked it and you hated it I will agree with you that giving it the special effects Oscar was absurd. But, then, Oscars have long been rather random at times and I pay them little attention.

Nevertheless, I have had The Golden Compass - BD pre-ordered since February, not that I can watch it since I don't have a player yet.

So, please don't rain on the parade of those (few?) of us who actually enjoyed the movie. I try to refrain from commenting on the movies that others, including you, hyperventilate about but don't interest me. Though I freely admit that I am the antithesis of a cinephile.
I bought a Blu-Ray player for the first time two weeks ago because of this film. Seriously. I can't wait to see it in BD. Waiting for it to come out, I've purchased about 25 highly PQ rated films. So I'm very very happy with this investment.
Old 04-18-08, 05:13 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by lizard

I purposefully did not engage in a discussion of the quality of the film as a whole, but I'm still ticked about Transformers losing that VFX Oscar.
Old 04-18-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
And as many have pointed out in other threads...

...New Line/Warners saw virtually NONE of that overseas money, due to selling off the foreign rights.

Unless they can cut a new deal for the sequels, they'll probably never get made.
So did they give away those foreign rights? That's the only way they would have seen "virtually none" of that money.

They obviously made some money from those rights, even if they vastly undersold them. And now that the film has grossed more than $370 million worldwide don't you think they'd keep the foreign rights for the second and third films (I assume those haven't already been sold off)? And of course money hasn't even started coming in from DVD sales. And there's money from VOD, pay channels, eventually cable and network TV etc.

And now that there's a built in audience that will want to see the sequels I expect they will make more than the first film, particularly if they can improve on them (which should certainly be possible as the first was, as almost anyone will attest, even those of us who liked it more than disliked it, far from as great as it could have been).

It seems to me that the Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass have a great potential to be goldmines and they'd be nuts not to make them.
Old 04-18-08, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by movielib
So did they give away those foreign rights? That's the only way they would have seen "virtually none" of that money.

They obviously made some money from those rights, even if they vastly undersold them. And now that the film has grossed more than $370 million worldwide don't you think they'd keep the foreign rights for the second and third films (I assume those haven't already been sold off)? And of course money hasn't even started coming in from DVD sales. And there's money from VOD, pay channels, eventually cable and network TV etc.

And now that there's a built in audience that will want to see the sequels I expect they will make more than the first film, particularly if they can improve on them (which should certainly be possible as the first was, as almost anyone will attest, even those of us who liked it more than disliked it, far from as great as it could have been).

It seems to me that the Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass have a great potential to be goldmines and they'd be nuts not to make them.
Agree. They just need to try and figure out how to market the other two films in America to avoid any further religious backlash. And cater to more of a family market. Newline definitely dropped the ball on this one. Big time.
Old 04-18-08, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
They just need to try and figure out how to market the other two films in America to avoid any further religious backlash.
I still have no clue how they're going to get around this problem; religion is a huge theme of the series and nearly impossible to work around without seriously altering the intent of the story.

I'm all in for this release, though. Glad to hear it looks good in HD.
Old 04-19-08, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guess I'll just have to boycott this release...
Old 04-20-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I purposefully did not engage in a discussion of the quality of the film as a whole, but I'm still ticked about Transformers losing that VFX Oscar.
Oscar has a history of giving this award to the best movie of the nominees, rather than the one that actually had the best effects. If going by that standard, they gave the award to the right picture.
Old 04-20-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by movielib
And now that the film has grossed more than $370 million worldwide don't you think they'd keep the foreign rights for the second and third films (I assume those haven't already been sold off)?

They already sold them off - the foreign deal covered the two potential sequels as well. That's why I suggested Warners needed to cut a new deal. Something they MAY be able to do if they can say that the former deal is no longer valid (since, essentially New Line no longer exists).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.