Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray mastering question

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-15-08, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so I uderstand how DVD authoring/master and what not works...is the process different for Blu-ray?

Meaning, is there a totally different transfer process to do it? Pardon my stupidity, but it seems like if you did the DVD transfer Blu-ray should be the same only bigger, no?
Old 04-15-08, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts
are you referring to creating the transfer of the film for DVD/BD or authoring the disc itself (transfer, menus, etc)?

as far as transfers are concerned, both a DVD transfer and a BD transfer are created from the same master, but the transfer itself is different, because of the different codecs and bitrates.
Old 04-15-08, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you asking about authoring, mastering, or transfering?
Old 04-15-08, 01:40 PM

Guess I got my terms wrong...I always assumed that authoring encompassed the transfer. I guess not.

Anywho, yes transferring was what I was looking for.
Old 04-15-08, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by macnorton
Anywho, yes transferring was what I was looking for.
So what specifically is your question about transfers?
Old 04-16-08, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by kefrank
So what specifically is your question about transfers?
Read the first post, second paragraph
Old 04-16-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Or clarify. I think you're above instruction doesn't suffice. You question is still vague. "The same only bigger" what? Are you asking about the data transfer rate or the compression/encoding that occurs when data is transferred to Blu-ray? Or are you referring to the actual pressing of the final product?
Old 04-16-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what rfduncan said. your question in the first post needs to be more specific to be able to provide a meaningful answer.
Old 04-16-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 179 Posts
Most films are transferred to an HD master tape, which is then used for both the Blu-ray and downscaled to Standard Definition for the DVD. So yes, they only have to transfer it once. However, the digital video then needs to be compressed separately for each format. Then you have additional expenses involved in the authoring of each (creating menus and Java interactive features, adding AACS and BD+ encryption, etc.).

Most of the major studios have been archiving HD masters of their films for the past decade, but that doesn't mean that every one of those masters is going to get cranked out onto Blu-ray right away.
Old 04-16-08, 09:31 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
but what studios are transfering film to hidef with new 4K technology - I know Warners and Sony are, are the others as well?
Old 04-16-08, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Most films are transferred to an HD master tape, which is then used for both the Blu-ray and downscaled to Standard Definition for the DVD. So yes, they only have to transfer it once. However, the digital video then needs to be compressed separately for each format. Then you have additional expenses involved in the authoring of each (creating menus and Java interactive features, adding AACS and BD+ encryption, etc.).

Most of the major studios have been archiving HD masters of their films for the past decade, but that doesn't mean that every one of those masters is going to get cranked out onto Blu-ray right away.
Thanks for the info. It makes sense, adding in extra pieces does take more time, hence why things don't come out right away.

Follow up question, is Blu-ray downscaled as well? I was reading that a lot of films are scanned @ 4k and downscaled to 1920X1080, is that accurate?
Old 04-16-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Z

Weren't they using CRTs also when creating the HD masters a few years back? Could that have an effect on the quality?
Old 04-16-08, 10:34 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Follow up question, is Blu-ray downscaled as well? I was reading that a lot of films are scanned @ 4k and downscaled to 1920X1080, is that accurate?
yes that's true, since well, there aren't 4K discs or monitors - yet
Old 04-16-08, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Weren't they using CRTs also when creating the HD masters a few years back? Could that have an effect on the quality?
It might, but the transfer issues some older masters have had are likely related to the limitations of the technology at the time. Remember many studios have been creating HD masters for over 10 years...

CRT's provided the best pricture of all the TV formats with regards to color accuracy. Since CRT's are going the way of the Dodo Bird, many of the post houses are transitioning to LCD and Plasma flatscreen. Some are even using rear-projection DLP's for their QC process.

Sony recently introduced a reference level LCD flatscreen which goes for around $8000, specifically aimed at post-production.

fitprod

Last edited by fitprod; 04-16-08 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-16-08, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Giles
yes that's true, since well, there aren't 4K discs or monitors - yet
I guess this means Blu-ray will be obsolete around 2018 (assuming the rapture doesn't happen in 2012)?
Old 04-17-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fitprod
It might, but the transfer issues some older masters have had are likely related to the limitations of the technology at the time. Remember many studios have been creating HD masters for over 10 years...

CRT's provided the best pricture of all the TV formats with regards to color accuracy.
This is true in many respects. However, until the last few years most post-houses were creating their masters using reference monitors in the 36" range. While those monitors were undoubtedly far better than anything availalble to consumers, there's a limit to the amount of detail that the human eye can perceive at that size. Hence the reason so many older transfers were plagued by edge enhancement; the telecine operator literally couldn't see the problem on his small screen.

On the 'Grave of the Fireflies' DVD, there's a bonus feature about the video transfer, where the operator proudly demonstrates flipping on the switch for edge enhancement to "sharpen up the picture". I'm sure it looked fine on his small monitor, but blowing that picture up on a projector is an entirely different story.

Last edited by Josh Z; 04-17-08 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-17-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess this means Blu-ray will be obsolete around 2018 (assuming the rapture doesn't happen in 2012)?
Didn't you hear? The Rapture happened last week. All the good people were carried off to heaven.

Yeah, I didn't notice a difference either.