Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Wal-mart accept HD-DVD player returns

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 04-10-08, 10:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not seen any post about this in here:

Quote:
More good news for those left on the short end of the format war, Wal-Mart has quietly decided to offer refunds for anyone who purchased their HD DVD player between November 1, 2007 and now. You won't need the box it came in, but the receipt will be necessary, and get moving because this offer is only open until the 30th. A $50 gift card just 'cause this isn't, but for those looking to erase a red moment in their lives, Wal-mart's doors are open.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016995

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/04/07...urns/#comments

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1207...googlenews_wsj
Old 04-10-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mentioned here, although your thread title makes a little more sense.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....9&page=1&pp=25
Old 04-10-08, 12:22 PM

Return $99 player to WM, then buy elsewhere for ~$50 = Profit. I probably wouldn't bother, but I did notice that CC has the HD-A30 for $129.99. $30 or so for an upgrade?
Old 04-10-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A little late for me. It's because of Walmart's $99 sale that I got suckered into the world of HD DVD in the first place. Now, I got a couple dozen or so discs that would be a total waste of money if I returned the player. I'll hang on to mine, but good for those who decide to return their players.
Old 04-11-08, 08:36 AM

Man, I could have swore that this was already posted in its own thread, but I guess not. I know I saw it in that Amazon thread, with people saying that Wal-Mart wasn't doing anything, but then someone corrected them with a link to another site. I was wondering why they didn't link the the post in this forum, but I guess the reason why, was because there wasn't one....doh!
Old 04-11-08, 09:37 AM

I discovered that the HD-A30 at CC is available in store only. None to be found in my nearest one or any of the major metro zips I tried. I probably would have bought another one and returned the A2 to WM. The deal lasts until 4-30 so I may still get lucky.
Old 04-11-08, 10:51 AM
JB7
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by obidawsn
Man, I could have swore that this was already posted in its own thread, but I guess not. I know I saw it in that Amazon thread, with people saying that Wal-Mart wasn't doing anything, but then someone corrected them with a link to another site. I was wondering why they didn't link the the post in this forum, but I guess the reason why, was because there wasn't one....doh!
I think at one time the Bargins forum had a thread on this and it was merged with with this one.
Old 04-11-08, 11:28 AM

Before you all read this, I want to make this statement. I do know the "quality" of service, and employees that walmart currently offers. That being said, my post.

I brought my A2 back to Wal-Mart yesterday, and let me tell you, WHAT A FUCKING BLAST THAT HOUR AND A HALF WAS!!!111one

First, the service girl didn't know what I was talking about. I say, check your notice book, it should be in there.

Nothing.

Then, I say, maybe the electronic dept will know.

The answer from electronics? "We only sell Blu-Rays now."

Umm, I know that, but do they know about the returns for the HD players.

No.

Then the customer service manager, who started out COMPLETELY worthless, but got a little better. I just saw her shake her head, and the other girl came back.

"Sorry, we aren't taking these back"

Then I yell behind the counter, "I called yesterday, whoever I talked to yesterday said it was in the NOTICES book."

She somehow managed the muster up the energy to rotate from her current position (shocked it didn't take the normal 24 hours) and head over to me.

"Why would we take this back, its over 30 days, and doesn't have a box"

I do all I can to throw a smile up, after all I want my $110 back. I explain the format thing in laymen terms.

She picks up the phone. (this is like the 45 min mark here.) Calls the Asst Store Mgr.

"He said sorry, its out of the return period."

I then say, please, for the LOVE OF GOD will you LOOK IN THE NOTICES BOOK.

She then rotates again (took longer this time, but again, not the 24 hours I thought it would require) and picks up the GOD DAMN BOOK.

Guess what was in there, last page?

HD-DVD BUY BACK PROGRAM!!!!! To promote CUSTOMER SATISFACTION WE ARE GIVING REFUNDS for all players purchased since 11/1/07.

Back on the phone to Asst Mgr.

"Yeah, he was right, what? yeah, HD-DVD players, no box required. Yeah, nothing else, what? Refund, yes. No, he doesnt have to buy a Blu Ray player, it says refund. Yeah, yeah he is here, ok, hold on. Sir?"

Yes, I say.

"Why do you want to return this?"

I reply, a bit more frustrated, and my 5 year old is starting to get real crazy, "Ummmmmmmm cus it say's I can? And I want my money"

"Well, he just said, Because it says he can, so he wants to. No, it doesn't say there has to be a reason. Ok, yeah. Right. November 1st, yeah, he bought it on November 2nd, yeah, yeah, that old, yeah. No, I just have to match the UPC. Yeah. Ok. Bye."

So the then tries to match the UPC numbers in the book, to the Serial number in the back of the player.

"Sorry sir, this player doesn't qualify."

Sign

You are trying to match a UPC to a Serial Number. Look at the receipt, verify the upc to the receipt, then the model number to the player, hand me money.

They took so long processing it, that I took my son to Toys and came back 20 mins later to a $110 gift card. Haha.

I took it, I spend at walmart anyway, and my son's birthday is coming up.

But, HAVE FUN GANG!!!

Anyone ever get anything out of a complaint to WalMart?

Last edited by Dugout Doug; 04-11-08 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-11-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I called ahead. Asked about the program. Said they didn't have anything on file, but asked me to print out whatever I found on the internet. I did, took it in, and they gave me cash back. Took ten minutes. I'm usually very, very down on Wal-Mart, but this was an actual decent experience.
Old 04-11-08, 11:57 AM

There's a thread on this at SD. The first post includes a pdf file from WalMart explaining the return process. Print it out and take it with you and spend a few minutes and not hours returning your player if you plan to do so.

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthr...uid=0&t=785247
Old 04-11-08, 12:09 PM

To hell with bringing it back. I'm just keeping it. For what i paid, $89, the thing plays HD-DVDs plus upconverts standard DVD's so I can't really complain...
Old 04-11-08, 06:12 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 127 Likes on 94 Posts
Not only a possible extension on the usual 90 day policy, but returns for you that cut out the UPC for the 5 free mail-in. Kudos to Wal-Mart.
Old 04-13-08, 09:29 PM

hmm, so I wonder what's going to happen to all these returned players?
Old 04-14-08, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Dugout Doug
Before you all read this, I want to make this statement. I do know the "quality" of service, and employees that walmart currently offers. That being said, my post.

I brought my A2 back to Wal-Mart yesterday, and let me tell you, WHAT A FUCKING BLAST THAT HOUR AND A HALF WAS!!!111one

First, the service girl didn't know what I was talking about. I say, check your notice book, it should be in there.

Nothing.

No.

Then the customer service manager, who started out COMPLETELY worthless, but got a little better. I just saw her shake her head, and the other girl came back.

Then I yell behind the counter, "I called yesterday, whoever I talked to yesterday said it was in the NOTICES book."

She somehow managed the muster up the energy to rotate from her current position (shocked it didn't take the normal 24 hours) and head over to me.

I do all I can to throw a smile up, after all I want my $110 back. I explain the format thing in laymen terms.

She picks up the phone. (this is like the 45 min mark here.) Calls the Asst Store Mgr.

She then rotates again (took longer this time, but again, not the 24 hours I thought it would require) and picks up the GOD DAMN BOOK.

HD-DVD BUY BACK PROGRAM!!!!! To promote CUSTOMER SATISFACTION WE ARE GIVING REFUNDS for all players purchased since 11/1/07.

"Yeah, he was right, what? yeah, HD-DVD players, no box required. Yeah, nothing else, what? Refund, yes. No, he doesnt have to buy a Blu Ray player, it says refund. Yeah, yeah he is here, ok, hold on. Sir?"

Yes, I say.

I reply, a bit more frustrated, and my 5 year old is starting to get real crazy, "Ummmmmmmm cus it say's I can? And I want my money"

"Well, he just said, Because it says he can, so he wants to. No, it doesn't say there has to be a reason. Ok, yeah. Right. November 1st, yeah, he bought it on November 2nd, yeah, yeah, that old, yeah. No, I just have to match the UPC. Yeah. Ok. Bye."

So the then tries to match the UPC numbers in the book, to the Serial number in the back of the player.

Sign

You are trying to match a UPC to a Serial Number. Look at the receipt, verify the upc to the receipt, then the model number to the player, hand me money.

They took so long processing it, that I took my son to Toys and came back 20 mins later to a $110 gift card. Haha.

But, HAVE FUN GANG!!!

Yep, that sounds like good old Wally World. I think you must have to have an IQ of less than five to work there.
Old 04-14-08, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

why would anyone return an hd player they got for $89? at the very least it's a great back up or second player for upconversion. i'd understand completely if you paid $250 or something...but otherwise, hardly seems worth it...not like you can replace it with something better for that price.
Old 04-14-08, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by brizz
why would anyone return an hd player they got for $89? at the very least it's a great back up or second player for upconversion. i'd understand completely if you paid $250 or something...but otherwise, hardly seems worth it...not like you can replace it with something better for that price.
Me, personally? I dumped all my HD-DVD's that have BD counterparts the DAY Warner announced their switch. I got top "used" dollar for them, and basically replaced all of them through amazon b2g1 promotions since.

That leaves me with a total of 6 HD's. To me, it wasn't worth it.

I have a nice home theater setup, but my thing is not spending that much "money" on it. With the PS3 getting DTS-MA this month, I though that $100 would be well spent toward adding 2 speakers to my 5.1 setup to see what a 7.1 could do for me.

Personal preference. I already have ax xbox 360 and ps3 hooked up to the entertainment center, along with that HD player.
Old 04-14-08, 10:14 PM

I waited a couple days to post this because I didn't want a bunch of people buying up my idea.

Was upset to see everyone else besides wal mart doing the hd-dvd buyback or giftcard thing until I saw that Walmart was allowing returns.

I too didn't necessarily want to give up my player. I figure it will still be 2 years before blu ray players drop to 100 or below in price.

I originally bought an a2 for 100.00 in the November deal.
got my wife to return that today.
Soon as my wife came home and told me she returned successfully, I upgraded to an A3 on CircuitCity.com for 85 bucks free shipping, which also comes with two discs in the box.

I figured this was the best thing to do. I really doubt Wal-mart will offer anything else.

Now hopefully someday I'll find discs cheaper than 10 bucks!
Old 04-15-08, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Me, personally? I dumped all my HD-DVD's that have BD counterparts the DAY Warner announced their switch. I got top "used" dollar for them, and basically replaced all of them through amazon b2g1 promotions since.

That leaves me with a total of 6 HD's. To me, it wasn't worth it.

I have a nice home theater setup, but my thing is not spending that much "money" on it. With the PS3 getting DTS-MA this month, I though that $100 would be well spent toward adding 2 speakers to my 5.1 setup to see what a 7.1 could do for me.

Personal preference. I already have ax xbox 360 and ps3 hooked up to the entertainment center, along with that HD player.

Link for this? I thought for sure I'd have to upgrade later.
Old 04-15-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Nothing.

No.

Yes, I say.

Sign

But, HAVE FUN GANG!!!

That sounds like a typical Wal-mart adventure.

No one is ever at the counter, and if they are, they don't know jack shit. "What's a Blu-ray?" is a typical response from the fine employees in the electronic department at Wal-mart. An older lady who comes every Tuesday to stock the new releases is the only nice, helpful person in Wal-mart, and she doesn't even work there.
Old 04-18-08, 01:42 PM

By the way, Got my CircuitCity.com A3 in today and the two free ones are Bourne Identity and Bourne Supremacy.

Remember, Wal Mart will only accept returns until the end of April!
Old 04-18-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How sweet it is!

That's really pretty nice that WM is willing to give refunds like that.
Originally Posted by tsetse27
but for those looking to erase a red moment in their lives,
...a 'red' moment???

I'll hold on to my 3 'red moments', thank you very much!

-THEEKSAKE!

Last edited by The Edit King; 04-18-08 at 04:40 PM.
Old 04-25-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Called my local Walmart in my area and got a runaround about the refund on hd-dvd players. So stop by this morning after my trip to the PO. They called someone over from Electronics. I showed them the PDF file I printed off from Walmart. The guy called someone up and wham I got back my $103.53. It was a display model (A2) that I never used. They never even looked in the box. They asked me if they could keep the PDF file I printed out. Said I was the first person to return their hd-dvd player under this Walmart announcement.