Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

I'm looking to get a good modest priced receiver for my new PS3

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

I'm looking to get a good modest priced receiver for my new PS3

Old 07-15-08, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 361 Likes on 213 Posts
Sold my 605 to a dvdtalk member here in Hawaii. Was going to pick up a 606 but lately started to read on Avs Forums about people having buzzing/humming problems from their speakers. So I might go with the 705 or the Sony STRDG920.

Last edited by kahuna; 07-15-08 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-21-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
So I've had my 705 for three months now and I absolutely adore it. Just one thing I can't figure out. Online I've read that the Foroudja chip in this receiver can take 480i/p signals and upscale them to 720p. Well I have my DirecTV receiver hooked up to my 705 and all it does is send a 480p signal to my TV. I've looked through the manual and can't seem to find a way to activate the upscaler. It would really help because non-upscaled 480i/p looks a bit dark on my TV (Sharp 52D62U). Anyone know how to activate the video upscaler on the 705?
Old 09-22-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts
I found out how to activate the 720p upscale ability. You press and hold AUX on the receiver panel and then press POWER. The front panel LED will show a message relating top upscaling. It says it's set to AUTO. You press the directional keys and you simply set it to 720p. Easy as pie. Too bad that bit of useful information was not overed in the manual.
Old 09-23-08, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Onkyo is quality if you are on a budget. I think I spent $259.99 a couple months ago on Amazon for mine with free shipping... there's some really annoying HDMI handshake issues where it fluxuates in and out of sync a few times before an HDCP program (IE: Blu-ray on PS3) begins but for the price there is none better. That and the remote doesn't light up.

If you want to spend a bit more, you really can not go wrong with some of the newer Denon models. Always been a big fan.
Old 09-23-08, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
I found out how to activate the 720p upscale ability. You press and hold AUX on the receiver panel and then press POWER. The front panel LED will show a message relating top upscaling. It says it's set to AUTO. You press the directional keys and you simply set it to 720p. Easy as pie. Too bad that bit of useful information was not overed in the manual.
I think it's a "hidden" feature anyway. It's not something that they officially support.
Old 09-23-08, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Drexl
I think it's a "hidden" feature anyway. It's not something that they officially support.
Yup

The biggest problem with it is the inability to set the aspect ratio. Since the Onkyo doesn't know if it is getting normal 4:3 or anamorphic 4:3, and there's no setting for it, it makes it kind of useless.
I guess for something like a cable box that always outputted 480i non-anamorphic it would be ok...but it screws up the Wii / Xbox1 480i games for me so it's a no-go.