Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blockbuster has got to make more of an effort with BD

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-29-08, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

If the one near me is any indication, BB is making very little effort with Blu-ray. It's one shelf, double sided. I went in this evening. There were 100 'I Aam Legend' in standard def, 1 Blu-ray.

Considering the dire straits BB is in, I would think they would jump at the opportunity to be known as a supporter of high def.
Old 03-29-08, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whats the incentive for Blockbuster to invest more money in a product that only caters to a small segment of the home video community?

I mean honestly, I'm sure Blockbuster can get DVDs cheaper and they rent at the same cost as Blu Ray..at least they did, I haven't been in Blockbuster in a long while.
Old 03-29-08, 02:10 AM

I jumped onto the dvd wagon soon after the format came out. I remember going to my local Blockbuster to see which dvds they had. They had one tiny, little shelf of dvds (probably around 10 or so). The rest of the store was wall to wall videocassettes. Every time I went into that Blockbuster, I saw the dvd section grow as the tape section shrank. Why should it be any different for blu-ray vs. standard dvd? It takes time. It doesn't happen over night but Blockbuster needs to make the effort. Of all of the BB's in my area, only one carries blu-ray (and that's for test marketing). Unfortunately, it's pretty far out of my way.
Old 03-29-08, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by chanster
Whats the incentive for Blockbuster to invest more money in a product that only caters to a small segment of the home video community?

Sure, it worked for them when DVD first came out ...........makes you wonder if they had jumped in earlier if they would still be in the same boat?
Old 03-29-08, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dablueguy
Sure, it worked for them when DVD first came out ...........makes you wonder if they had jumped in earlier if they would still be in the same boat?
DVDs presented a lot more tangible benefits to renters that VHS ever did - the biggest one being no need to rewind and also presented a threat to how Blockbuster did business (i.e. sell through pricing on everything - not just catalog titles). It also presented Blockbuster with some advantages that it either did not want to see - ability to sell units in the store and smaller shelf profile.

Blockbuster sat on the sidelines of trying to sell DVDs until it was way too late - i.e. when everyone else was already selling them.

Now high def discs space on the shelf is equivalent to DVD so no advantage to Blockbsuter. Neither is the higher MSRPs on HDM, because I'm assuming Blockbuster, while getting a discount for rental copies, still has to cough up more cash per each disc.
Old 03-29-08, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Well, this is rather interesting, considering Blockbuster implied their consumers made the high-def choice as well. Now the truths begin to take form? Hopefully Blockbuster can get with it and push Blu-ray out on their floor...like they promised when they were so readily eager to kill HD DVD.

Blockbuster can still make money off the Blu-ray rentals, and they can sell them just like previously viewed DVDs. I would imagine Sony Pictures et al would be giving quite the discounts to rental businesses for Blu-ray presence.
Old 03-29-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
To be honest, I stopped into several Blockbusters lately looking for HD DVDs (only found one with any and about 6 that didn't have them, and in multiple states to boot) and I was shocked anyone was there renting. Haven't they heard of Netflix?

Seems utterly pointless to go to the video store anymore. I don't know how they keep their doors open at all, so heavily investing in a niche product (which HD media is!) seems like a terrible idea any way you cut it. So it doesn't surprise me in the least.
Old 03-29-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess nobody remembers how much Blockbuster hated DVD at first.

They were very much against the sell-thru pricing model that DVD always had. They tried very hard to get studios to switch to a rental pricing window which VHS used, even to the point of threatening not to carry certain studios' movies if they didn't. Remember, before DVD, if you wanted to buy a movie on VHS, you either paid $60 or $70 for it or waited until the "rental window" was over and then the price would come down to a more reasonable level. DVD's pricing is one of the major reasons for Blockbuster's slow decline. Why rent when you can buy for 3 or 4 times the cost of a rental?
Old 03-29-08, 08:58 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
My Blockbuster stocks maybe 300 Blu-ray titles, but their new release rentals are spotty at best. I generally stop in mid-week and ask about that week's new blu-ray releases, and generally I get denied. The conversation goes something like this: "Assassination of Jesse James?, not a big enough movie to stock on blu-ray, I guess" they'll say. I say back "But why did you stock Delta Farce and Daddy Day Camp?" When I'm able to get something in store, it's a bonus since I'm generally just looking for something free with my rental envelope.
Old 03-29-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Blockbuster's days are numbered as video on demand will take over most of their sector of the home entertainment market.

Netflix and RedBox are already cutting them deep.
Old 03-29-08, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Blockbuster's days are numbered as video on demand will take over most of their sector of the home entertainment market.

Netflix and RedBox are already cutting them deep.
Agreed. It's a dying market niche.
Old 03-29-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I don't know if I'd say Blockbuster's days are numbered, although I do think they'll be of less and less significance as time goes on.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I used to like walking down aisles, having some random movie catching my eye, and discovering something I never would've thought about seeing otherwise. When I'm on Netflix or Blockbuster Online, I'm more likely to be seeking out something in particular. Because the selection's so much larger online, it's harder to just browse or skim. There's something to be said for instant gratification too...getting an itch to watch something and not wanting to wait 3 days for it to ship.

Admittedly, that hasn't been an issue for me with BD or HD DVD just because there are so few titles, but a few years down the road...
Old 03-29-08, 10:20 AM
Banned

The only complaint I have is that new releases sometimes come in on Friday, instead of Tues. But the store stocks multiple copies of most BD titles and even carries catalog releases.
Old 03-29-08, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Not to get OT, but Blockbuster.com is abominable when it comes to HD DVD or BD availabilty. All of the new releases are "Long Wait", and even many of the older releases are "Long Wait" or "Short Wait".

I think a lot of people want to go the rental route on these discs on account of the sky-high retail prices, and the sunset of the BOGO's and give aways.
Old 03-29-08, 11:11 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Traxan
If the one near me is any indication, BB is making very little effort with Blu-ray. It's one shelf, double sided. I went in this evening. There were 100 'I Aam Legend' in standard def, 1 Blu-ray.

Considering the dire straits BB is in, I would think they would jump at the opportunity to be known as a supporter of high def.
Last years Blu-ray sales were only .40% (.28% or so was HD DVD) while the rest was DVD. Having 100DVD:1BD is about right.
Old 03-29-08, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k
Not to get OT, but Blockbuster.com is abominable when it comes to HD DVD or BD availabilty. All of the new releases are "Long Wait", and even many of the older releases are "Long Wait" or "Short Wait".

I think a lot of people want to go the rental route on these discs on account of the sky-high retail prices, and the sunset of the BOGO's and give aways.
I'm getting really close to signing up with either Netflix or BB Online...just can't decide which one. The online streaming means nothing to me unless it can work through my Xbox 360....which may be sooner then later. Blockbuster's new CEO just jacked the prices up way to high and remove the unlimited in store rentals.
Old 03-29-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BuckNaked2k

I left Netflix because every title they had was LONG WAIT, no matter if it was new or catalog. I've been back with Blockbuster O. for about 4 months now and I get every BD release I want. Must be a timing thing. I usually have the movies sent back over the weekend and they receive them on Monday. New BD releases get sent out that same day.
Old 03-29-08, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
I haven't rented any new BD releases through Blockbuster Online, but I requested American Gangster and Into the Wild when they came out on HD DVD, and I got those pretty much instantly. (I'm taking forever to watch them -- I'm lousy with time-management -- so anyone who has them in their queue can feel free to send me nasty PMs. )
Old 03-29-08, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Draven
To be honest, I stopped into several Blockbusters lately looking for HD DVDs (only found one with any and about 6 that didn't have them, and in multiple states to boot) and I was shocked anyone was there renting. Haven't they heard of Netflix?
We've had Blockbuster online for about 4 years. Since we can return all our our mail moves in store for immediate free rentals (plus the one that comes in the mail), and we get 2 more free movie or game rentals each month, we're in the store every other week at a minimum.
Old 03-29-08, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Last years Blu-ray sales were only .40% (.28% or so was HD DVD) while the rest was DVD. Having 100DVD:1BD is about right.
That was last year. Did you not see the story about how BR sales have spiked massively since the demise of HD DVD?

I stopped using Netflix because they were stupid. First they eliminated the new movie release feature, which was perfect for adding stuff to the queue when it came out in theaters and I could get stuff into my queue as soon as possible. Then they got rid of the new DVDs being released that week option, so I would have to manually check what came out that week, search for it, and add it to the queue, rather than go down the list of the week's releases and add the ones I wanted.

So to hell with Netflix if they want to make me do all that work. It was bad enough to have long waits and so many of their BD discs not work when they arrived. When they took away all convenience I had enough.
Old 03-29-08, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
But you'd think the rental numbers would be different than sales numbers. More people would be renting Blu-ray discs because they would be cheaper versus buying them. With DVDs, the pricepoint is a little more vague, depending on the title.
Old 03-30-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,606 Likes on 1,005 Posts
Originally Posted by shelland
We've had Blockbuster online for about 4 years. Since we can return all our our mail moves in store for immediate free rentals (plus the one that comes in the mail), and we get 2 more free movie or game rentals each month, we're in the store every other week at a minimum.
I had Blockbuster Online for about 2 years and never used that feature. To me, the whole point of doing it was so I didn't have to go to the store, so it was completely useless to me.
Old 03-30-08, 11:27 AM

I thought I remembered seeing an aisle for Blu-Ray the last time I went to Blockbuster, but I haven't really checked my local Blockbuster, lately. I don't have a Blu-Ray player, so I wasn't interested more than a passing glance to see how much space they were using (not really looking at what titles). I've given up on Blockbuster. I used to go there to buy Previously Viewed movies, but they started charging $15 a piece for them, which is stupid when I can buy them brand new for that or cheaper. Then my wife wanted to rent both Father of the Brides and it cost me $4 a piece ($8 total) to rent them for one day! That's ridiculous. A store nearby had them for $2 for 5 days, but they happened to be rented out. Funny thing was, (since she loves the movie so much) I ended up buying Father of the Bride, a couple months later, for less than what I paid to rent it. Blockbuster is losing business because they're charging way too much for a movie. For me and my wife, it's cheaper to go to the discount theater and see a movie vs. renting from them.

But I've also heard that Blockbuster is looking into a RedBox type thing. They're supposed to test it in my market first (Lexington, KY of all places), but I haven't heard anything since it was first announced. But now that RedBox finally entered our market a few weeks ago (which them not being here is probably what made it a good test market for BB), with a heavy promotion with McDs, they may have lost their chance.
Old 03-31-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I don't know if I'd say Blockbuster's days are numbered, although I do think they'll be of less and less significance as time goes on.

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I used to like walking down aisles, having some random movie catching my eye, and discovering something I never would've thought about seeing otherwise. When I'm on Netflix or Blockbuster Online, I'm more likely to be seeking out something in particular. Because the selection's so much larger online, it's harder to just browse or skim. There's something to be said for instant gratification too...getting an itch to watch something and not wanting to wait 3 days for it to ship.

Admittedly, that hasn't been an issue for me with BD or HD DVD just because there are so few titles, but a few years down the road...
I am the same as you. I hated Blockbuster for the DVDs being scratched, but I do like walking up and down the aisles and grabbing something. However I rarely do it because it annoys me when I rent a movie and it costs me five bucks. Five bucks?

It's tough with Netflix to say to your girlfriend, hey let's go rent a movie, and drive over and go get one. I know people say now you don't even have to leave your house, but I'm not a big fan of onDemand as it is right now. The movie are annoying to fast forward or rewind through (One speed? Come on!). They are rarely in OAR. Plus I feel the interfaces are SLOOOOW and cumbersome. I loved Tivo, but even the Tivo I had ran like molasses.
Old 03-31-08, 08:10 PM

Since Netflix dropped HD-DVD the wait times for Blu-Ray have gotten a lot better. On both new and old titles. You can still get the "releasing this week page" from Netflix you just have you do a few more clicks to get it.