HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HDDVD Planet Earth Problems

Old 03-14-08, 01:12 PM

HDDVD Planet Earth Problems

I had ordered planet earth on hd dvd from discovery.com about a month ago for the $29.95. It had come in a week or so ago and the first disk had something on it... kind of. I'm not sure what it was but it looks almost like a tiny bit of glue in a circular motion UNDER the surface of the disk.

I called them and great customer service they sent me out a new set no problem. Well it came in yesterday and the SAME THING on the SAME DISC. It was in a different area (more outer edge than the other) but it looks exactly the same, and it won't play the whole disc right.

I called customer service again and they shipped a new one, but it is just weird. I asked the guy if there was a known problem with the first disk being messed up and he said not that he knew of.

I tried searching and found nothing on problems with planet earth, and I figured it would be well known with how many sets they sale. Maybe it is just discovery's batch, or the US versions. Maybe I just have bad luck.

Has anyone else experienced this problem on the first disk?
Old 03-15-08, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

well... it could be the glue they use to stick the two layer of substrate. Did the stained disc play OK?

As for the problem or anything... sorry... I don't have it on HD DVD.