HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu Ray over Component?

Old 03-14-08, 09:26 PM

Blu Ray over Component?

So, I know BluRay doesn't upconvert over component cables, only over HDMI. But is it correct to assume BluRay otherwise works for BR discs over component? Also, that a standard disc would play over this connection just like it would on a standard, non-upconverting player?

I'm contemplating when I can/should get a BR player, as my main TV is a Sony XBR 720p CRT TV that came out just a year or so before HDMI existed.

Also, I know "search is my friend" etc., but I have very little time to even come on to this site nowadays, so please show me mercy on that front.
Old 03-14-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Component still looks great with Blu-ray and SD DVD should work fine as well.
Old 03-14-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can barely tell the difference between component and HDMI cables, only with regular DVDs, though.
Old 03-14-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sg2386
Component still looks great with Blu-ray and SD DVD should work fine as well.
But Howie's right: Blu-ray players will not upconvert most SD DVDs over component. He'll be limited to 480p.
Old 03-14-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm in the same boat OP. My TV is about 5 years old, pre-HDMI. Mine's a 1080i set though. I'm hooked up via component. Certain BDs looks great on it, but still on the whole falls short of GREAT!

I think this is where HDMI and 1080p come in. Of course it all comes down to the individual disc, but I don't think anything I've watched at home looks as impressive as some of the demo stuff I've seen in stores. I've been debating on upgrading my TV at this point. Such a big investment though for such a small payoff.
Old 03-15-08, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm in the same boat OP. My TV is about 5 years old, pre-HDMI. Mine's a 1080i set though. I'm hooked up via component. Certain BDs looks great on it, but still on the whole falls short of GREAT!
That may have as much to do with your TV being five years old as it does the lack of HDMI. HDTVs have gotten better and better in the last few years as the various technologies have improved.
Old 03-15-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's the deal: Blu-rays will play fine at either 720p or 1080i over Component so long as the disc is not flagged with an Image Constaint Token. The ICT is an option that disc authors have that will prevent their discs from being played at higher than 480p over an analog connection. Discs with ICT can only be output in full resolution over HDMI.

Fortunately, there are currently no Blu-rays with ICT. It's rumored that there is an unofficial agreement between all the studios not to use it until at least 2010, which they consider enough time for the majority of the audience to have upgraded their TVs.

There were two HD DVDs in Europe flagged with ICT (Resident Evil and Resident Evil Apocalypse), but reportedly that was done in error, not intentionally by the studio. Those discs are restricted to 480p output over Component. I'm not sure whether the Blu-ray editions of those titles from the same studio are also affected.