Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there be a mainstream BluRay exclusive (No SD)?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering what the first mainstream title was that was released on DVD, but not on VHS... and that made me think about BluRay replacing SD DVD.

Do you think it will happen...a mainstream BluRay DVD that isn't released on SD DVD? Do you think it will happen, or do you think Blu is going to remain the secondary format (to SD DVD)?
Old 03-13-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not anytime soon. maybe more niche films or something Criterion - but no blockbuster new release.
Old 03-13-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Exclusive BD extras? Yes. Exclusive movies within the next two years? No. The economics of it really don't make sense.
Old 03-13-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
It would have to be a short exclusive window. Studios and retailers will not give up a lucrative day and date DVD title.

Personally I think they should try doing a Blu-Ray a week early and see if it helps.
Old 03-13-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forget exclusive. They should try selling Blu at the same price as SD stuff -- that will start to sell these things. $14.99-17.99 for new releases will get plenty of impulse sheep to pick up blind buys.

-beebs
Old 03-13-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I think they should stop doing the exclusives with SD and do them only with BD releases.
Old 03-13-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I think they should stop doing the exclusives with SD and do them only with BD releases.
Why? Wouldn't they want to sell as many as possible? It would be like a 99% to a less than 1% difference, right?
Old 03-13-08, 09:15 PM

I think we're going to start seeing a lot of price drops in the near future, now that HD-DVD's fate has been sealed. I'm already seeing some changes in price on some of the newer releases, in addition to some cheap catalog titles.
Old 03-13-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Draven
Why? Wouldn't they want to sell as many as possible? It would be like a 99% to a less than 1% difference, right?
People are gonna buy the DVDs anyway. Exclusives are an incentive to upgrade and buy the more expensive Blu-ray.
Old 03-13-08, 09:44 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by hauntnut
I think we're going to start seeing a lot of price drops in the near future, now that HD-DVD's fate has been sealed. I'm already seeing some changes in price on some of the newer releases, in addition to some cheap catalog titles.
You'll have to point me in the direction of new releases being reduced, because the MSRP is still the same on nearly all new releases. The only titles that have been reduced lately is for Fox's ridiculously high prices older catalog titles that puts them more in line with what Disney and Sony price their catalog titles on release day.
Old 03-13-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by hauntnut
I wouldn't hold my breath for any major changes.
Old 03-13-08, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dvd won't miss out on anything for years. vhs still got harry potter & the goblet of fire in 2006!
Old 03-13-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by beebs
Forget exclusive. They should try selling Blu at the same price as SD stuff -- that will start to sell these things. $14.99-17.99 for new releases will get plenty of impulse sheep to pick up blind buys.

-beebs
Yep. Gotta learn to crawl before you learn to walk.
Old 03-14-08, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
You'll have to point me in the direction of new releases being reduced, because the MSRP is still the same on nearly all new releases. The only titles that have been reduced lately is for Fox's ridiculously high prices older catalog titles that puts them more in line with what Disney and Sony price their catalog titles on release day.
Very true. There have been a couple of cheap new releases by super-indie distributors, but I haven't seen any MSRP movement by any of the majors or mini-majors.

We're seeing more and more cases of companies offering single-disc and 2-disc SDVD's at the same time. If they can sell the Blu-ray versions at the same price as (or a slight bump over) the 2-disc SE's, I bet a lot of people would bite.
Old 03-14-08, 04:29 AM

this isn't an "exclusive" really... but the new nine inch nails cd "Ghosts" is going to be available in a limited edition set that comes with a blu-ray of music in high resolution format and it won't be available on standard dvd! I thought that was pretty cool... it gets released in early May and is only available thru their web site...