Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Superman Returns: Why Is the BD Audio Inferior to the HD-DVD Audio?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 03-10-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just picked up this movie today on BD because 2 weeks ago I sold my HD-DVD collection and 360 add-on. The HD-DVD version of this film had Dolby TrueHD (and I think it had DD+ too). The best auudio track on the BD is 5.1 DD. Why doesn't the BD offer a lossless track or at least DD+ or DTS? Afterall, BD's can hold more info than HD-DVDs.
Old 03-10-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new stock of Superman Returns BD's will have TrueHD tracks. They've already been released as in packs with the Pioneer BD players. Warner never bothered with PCM or TrueHD tracks on BD for some reason until around the time The Departed came around.
Old 03-10-08, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE=matome]The new stock of Superman Returns BD's will have TrueHD tracks. They've already been released as in packs with the Pioneer BD players. QUOTE]
Really? That's good news. I will return this version then. I presume WB will sell them separately from the players. Thanks.
Old 03-10-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The new BR version apparently has a sticker on the plastic that says "TrueHD".

Its also already available at some stores. There were reports of these showing up at Best Buy.
Old 03-10-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
The new BR version apparently has a sticker on the plastic that says "TrueHD".

Its also already available at some stores. There were reports of these showing up at Best Buy.
The TrueHD stickers were applied by a guy from Pioneer - he even had a pic of the roll of stickers he had made.

So if a copy with the TrueHD sticker is found at Best Buy, it is almost certainly from a Pioneer box.

Thankfully the security label and UPC will be a different number, so it should be relatively easy to tell from looking at the top of a bunch of them if they are different even before checking the back for the specs.

There's an ongoing thread at AVS about this that is worth checking frequently for those in the hunt for this (like me ).

To date no one has really come up with any proof these have made it to retail yet. It's usually a copy found here; a copy found there.
Old 03-10-08, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't believe that the True HD versions having been going for 80 to 90 bucks on ebay.
Old 03-10-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
I can't believe that the True HD versions having been going for 80 to 90 bucks on ebay.
Seriously
Old 03-11-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If the HD DVD is any indicator, I'm sure the TrueHD and PCM tracks are better than the 640 DD track, but not $50-$60 better. I can wait.
Old 03-11-08, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Hey, people are paying $200 for the Blades of Glory BD . There are all types out there!