Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who is saving money by switching to HDM?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-06-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Warner's announcement last month was just the shot in the arm I needed to adopt Blu-ray. And by selling some old DVD's, I was able to come up with money for a PS3 & my first batch of discs without spending another dime out of pocket. I own 18 movies on Blu-ray.

What's funny is, people talk about how expensive the upgrade from SD-DVD to HDM is, but I've experienced the opposite. Before, there were a ton of DVDs I always wanted. Now, I don't even have the desire to shop for "DVDs". I will occasionally still make a purchase like a TV show on DVD, but for the most part, I view DVDs as something not worth my time & money investing in anymore. There are only 10 BD's on my want list and several have yet to street. The rest I have just been watching through Netflix, which I never bothered to join when I was an SD collector. I guess the added cost of Blu has made me rethink many, many of my purchases. And it made me realize I re-watched very few of my SD-DVD's frequently enough to justify ever having purchased them in the first place.

To sum it up, I am saving about $100 a month simply because I upgraded to Blu-ray.

Last edited by Dane Marvin; 02-06-08 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, you are not alone. I've always said that it was more economical for me to switch to Blu-ray now rather than continue sinking money into DVD.

Now, if I had stayed only with HD-DVD I would have saved a lot more money, since not many movies on HD-DVD interested me in the first place (and even fewer now), but that's a whole other story ...
Old 02-06-08, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm in the same boat. I'm renting everything through Netflix. The only DVDs I buy anymore are TV series.
Old 02-06-08, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
Warner's announcement last month was just the shot in the arm I needed to adopt Blu-ray. And by selling some old DVD's, I was able to come up with money for a PS3 & my first batch of discs without spending another dime out of pocket. I own 18 movies on Blu-ray.

What's funny is, people talk about how expensive the upgrade from SD-DVD to HDM is, but I've experienced the opposite. Before, there were a ton of DVDs I always wanted. Now, I don't even have the desire to shop for "DVDs". I will occasionally still make a purchase like a TV show on DVD, but for the most part, I view DVDs as something not worth my time & money investing in anymore. There are only 10 BD's on my want list and several have yet to street. The rest I have just been watching through Netflix, which I never bothered to join when I was an SD collector. I guess the added cost of Blu has made me rethink many, many of my purchases. And it made me realize I re-watched very few of my SD-DVD's frequently enough to justify ever having purchased them in the first place.

To sum it up, I am saving about $100 a month simply because I upgraded to Blu-ray.
Thats some funny logic...how about selling those titles and keeping the cash!

Sounds to me like you weren't interested in owning DVDS anymore..I'm in the same boat.
Old 02-06-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Well, I get obsessive about having the best out there. This is why I never bought the bare bones version of something if there was a 2-disc version out there. I would even track down the best version if it was OOP. It also wound up netting me the best return on investment when it came time to sell. I only got rid of 75 discs and wound up with $600 cash and $275 in DVD Planet store credit.

Now that HDM is out there and Blu will stay the course, it officially became the "best out there" in my mind. So of course, I had to have it. But at the time, selling a bunch of my discs made me realize I wasn't going to watch many of them for a long time anymore. Add that to not wanting to buy a new release like Rescue Dawn or 3:10 to Yuma on Blu (due to cost) without ever having seen the movie before, and I just decided it would be better to use Netflix. In my area, there is not much competition for a Blu-ray disc from Netflix. I got 3:10 to Yuma the same week that it was released and loved it. So I may buy it down the road at some point. But ultimately, Netflix curbs my craving to own most stuff right away.

Last edited by Dane Marvin; 02-06-08 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-06-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Waiting for BD/HDDVD got me into the habit of not buying as many movies. Now a good portion of my BD purchases are thru store credit from trading in DVD's. While I've still spent a fair amount on BD... it's probably no more than what I would've spent over the last few yrs if I had continued with DVD's.
Old 02-06-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah the switch to HD definitely curbed my shopping, I have quit buying SD almost entirely and only pick up the must have HDs!
Old 02-06-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kind of in the same boat. I hardly buy any SD DVDs anymore, I only want a few Blu-Rays at the moment so I haven't bought much since I got the BD player.

I do have a complaint about Netflix; I know it's new to the world of Blu-ray but it seems there selection of BD discs is fairly slim and all the ones I want to see have a "very long wait" on them.
Old 02-06-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I do have a complaint about Netflix; I know it's new to the world of Blu-ray but it seems there selection of BD discs is fairly slim and all the ones I want to see have a "very long wait" on them.
We must be renting different things. My list of 50 has probably 30 BD discs only one of which is "very long wait" and that is Saw IV which just came out.
Old 02-06-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ Like I said, I've even been sent Blu-rays the day after seeing "very long wait" and "long wait" on my queue next to them. But it may be because I live in a smaller area (Omaha metro) than many.
Old 02-06-08, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I literally stopped blind buying DVD's which I did quite frequently. I've also cut back on my TV purchasing. I'm definitely not spending any more money per month than I used to - it's just going to HDM more than anything.
Old 02-06-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not spending a few hundred dollars a month like I used to by picking up titles that I really shouldn't have. Now I am being more selective with what I buy and my bank account (and wife) are happier than ever.
Old 02-06-08, 09:28 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

This thread made me think of some math I wanted to do, so ignore me if it's slightly off topic...

- I've bought roughly 600 DVDs since late 2000 (say, 7 years)
- That's an average of 0.2348 DVDs per day (1 DVD every 4 days and 8 hours)

- I've bought 114 HD DVDs since September 2006.
- That's an average of 0.2235 discs per day (1 HD DVDs every 4 days and 12 hours)

yikes.
Old 02-06-08, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't switch over to HDM completely yet.

My spending has gone down drastically (on discs) since introducing two new formats to my collection though.
Old 02-06-08, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The main reason I switched to HDM the day HD DVD launched was to save money. The more DVDs I would have bought waiting the more I would have to sell later when I switched and DVD resell prices are pretty crappy.

No only that, but all the early HDM deals and freebies kept my cost for discs under $10.

I'm definitely dealing with higher prices in 2008 and that has me renting more and only buying the must haves. So I have to agree that overall HDM has saved me money one way or another.
Old 02-06-08, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I buy less discs. I had a lot of unopened DVDs on the shelf as it was. Now I pretty much never blind buy anything. And I'm a cheapskate. I wait for a good B1G1 deal. The only HD disc I've paid near full price for was 300 combo for $24.

Everything else has been either B1G1 deals. $11-$14 a title. Or freebies with a player (buy A2 $299 + Matrix get 2 free ... + 5 freebies which I sold 3). I did pay $14.97 + tax at Walmart for Clerks 2 though.

I did buy my wife a few $20ish titles for gifts though.

For that matter I watched most of my unwatched pile when the 2nd baby was born and traded in most of them for $ to wherehouse.com

I doubt I've spent over $300 on HD-DVDs total for my 20 or so HD-DVDs and a few BDs.
Old 02-07-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I had a lot of unopened DVDs on the shelf as it was.
Same. I just organized my DVDs (they'd gotten all out of alphabetical order) and saw I had a lot more than I realized that I'd never unwrapped. So I'm off to sell a good chunk of my movies. I can always Netflix them. I've also been renting BR instead of buying because of this realization.

However, I will continue to buy TV on DVD as that most older stuff will probably never get to HDM (that said I did pick up LOST on BR from the Amazon gold box recently!).
Old 02-07-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I definitely buy fewer DVDs because I've lost interest in SD discs, unless they're not available in HD, plus I buy a lot of TV shows. But I believe I spend about the same amount of money as before because the cost of hi-def media is pricey -- and I ONLY buy if I can find a good sale.
Old 02-07-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt I really save money. But I don't buy DVDs anymore unless its something that just won't have an HD release (i.e. certain TV shows like Doctor Who or The Wire). And not buying DVDs helps limit what to buy. And I did decide to upgrade some discs during recent BOGOs, and I was able to sell my current DVD versions for pretty good prices. If I had waited, the DVDs would not had fetched as much, either because all DVDs fall in price over time or because their demand will lessen as Blu-Ray grows. So I'm certainly not moaning about the added price of High Def discs.
Old 02-07-08, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wait for HDM sales and in the meantime get them from netflix. For about $228 a year I get all the rentals I want.
Old 02-07-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I was pretty strict about DVD buying. Since 1999 I I have bought about 300 DVDs and sold off about 75 of them.

Once I bought into HD I started selling off my SDDVDs that I dont watch or definitely want to replace with HD. I have netted about $350 selling off/returning about 23 DVDs.

HDM has curtailed my spending even more. Since Dec 1 I have purchased about 10 HD discs. The only one I paid a high price tag for was Across the Universe. Everything else has been through various deals.
Old 02-07-08, 12:15 PM

Where are the best places to sell or trade my standard DVD's? Cash is prefered or store credit to get blu-ray or HD-DVD.
I only want to trade for Blu-ray or HD.
Ebay? Wherehouse.com?
Where have all of you had the best luck?
I am buying mostly HD-DVD or Blu-ray from now on also myself.
I did break down and buy The Three Stooges set on SD DVD since it's such a great deal on Amazon ($13.99), and I doubt we will see it go to HD.

Last edited by VAMPYRE XX; 02-07-08 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-07-08, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I do buy less. Blind buys are almost non-existent. I am now renting before I buy, and it looks to be saving me lots of money.
Old 02-07-08, 12:33 PM

I bought the Pioneer VSX-94TXH A/V reciever and through a HDMI cable it actually upconverts standard DVD's through my xbox 360 HD add on (yes my 360 is the H3 SE with HDMI out). I was really surprised at how high the quality is. I'm not sure if it's as good as the Toshiba HD-XA2 would upconvert, but it does look really good. The Devil's Backbone looks very close to HD quality through it. I have some rare movies that will probably never come out on HD so this is a great way to enjoy them. Everything else I am getting on Blu or HD-DVD as top choice. The B1G1F Amazon sales have been a great way to get stuff at an excellent price.
Old 02-07-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by VAMPYRE XX
Where are the best places to sell or trade my standard DVD's? Cash is prefered or store credit to get blu-ray or HD-DVD.
I only want to trade for Blu-ray or HD.
Ebay? Wherehouse.com?
Where have all of you had the best luck?
I am buying mostly HD-DVD or Blu-ray from now on also myself.
I did break down and buy The Three Stooges set on SD DVD since it's such a great deal on Amazon ($13.99), and I doubt we will see it go to HD.
newtownvideo.com pays more (generally) for stuff than secondspin.com or wherehouse.com -- I would still use e-bay if you have any Criterions or high-priced OOP stuff. Also newtownvideo pays based on how many copies they have of certain discs. So rarer catalog titles are the best thing to unload on them. For example, I sold Meet Me in St Louis WB Two-Disc SE to them for $10.50. Not bad for a used disc. I sold United 93 LE (OOP) to them for $25, which is more than I could get for it on e-bay or from buyers at DVD Talk. Just don't try to sell them common titles like Starsky & Hutch or Spider-Man because they will either be overstocked or they'll only give you a few cents for them. Unload those items on secondspin.com

Oftentimes DVD Planet (when their Quote Machine is up & running -- currently it's down for maintainence) will give you the best price on your used titles by a big margin, but they are store credit only, their turnaround time is slow, and they rarely have good deals on HDM -- even if you wait for the 20% off sales, Amazon's HDM prices still beat them regularly.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.