HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

There Will Be Blood HD DVD "UPDATE"

Old 03-05-08, 05:01 AM

There Will Be Blood HD DVD "UPDATE"

At thedigitalbits.com they said paramount put the release dates back up cause the emabrgo ended yesterday. All the HD DVD's are gone except "There Will Be Blood" and they also said paramount refuses to talk about it or answer questions. Make of it what you will but paramount is up to something.

UPDATE
There Will Be Blood has re-appeared on Paramounts site and for a movie being canceled its sure funny why its back. it even lists its features, just has no cover art yet.

Bee movie is still coming out tuesday.

But Sweeney/Kite Runner/Jack Ryan
are still in the air.
Old 03-05-08, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

huh? This is strange
Old 03-05-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...(UPDATED)/1522
Old 03-05-08, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

That "update" is a week old.
Old 03-05-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't you read this quote?

"Ending weeks of speculation, Paramount says 'Into the Wild' and 'Things We Lost in the Fire' will be its last two HD DVD releases."

Is that hard to understand?
Old 03-05-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Didn't you read this quote?

"Ending weeks of speculation, Paramount says 'Into the Wild' and 'Things We Lost in the Fire' will be its last two HD DVD releases."

Is that hard to understand?
Yes, I understood it...last week. This thread is in reference to "There Will Be Blood HD" re-appearing on Paramount's site recently, albeit in limited fashion. I wasn't trying to be an ass or anything, and it's probably nothing. Either way, let's just wait and see what happens before we start jumping to conclusions.

Last edited by Randy Miller III; 03-05-08 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-05-08, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully they'll make up their fucking mind.
Old 03-05-08, 09:08 AM

Several of the "updates" on articles on Hi-Def Digest suggest that they "There Will Be Blood" and "Bee Movie" may, in fact, not be cancelled. Stating that more details would come after an embargo was lifted on March 4th (yesterday). So it's kind of strange that "There Will Be Blood" and "Bee Movie" now DO have HD DVD listings on Paramount's website. Maybe they decided to go ahead and release them after all.
Old 03-05-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I, for one, hope they'll go ahead and release Sweeney Todd now in HD DVD, and again in Blu when they can get it together. Hi-def sales of these movies need to be day-and-date, regardless of format, or risk failing (in HD terms) altogether. And there are still many HD DVD owners who would snatch these up in an instant.
Old 03-05-08, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If they release There Will Be Blood, Sweeney Todd and Bee Movie, I will buy them all.
Old 03-05-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I'd get TWBB and Sweeney Todd on HD-DVD in a heartbeat...

Bring 'em on, you studio fucks!!
Old 03-05-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i don't understand why they wouldn't just release it if it's ready to go on hd-dvd.

lots of people want it now rather than wait for the blu release.
Old 03-05-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by redrum
i don't understand why they wouldn't just release it if it's ready to go on hd-dvd.
That's Paramount's way. It has to be all-or-nothing with them.

They've had those Jack Ryan Collection discs pressed for almost a year now, and they'd rather dump them in a landfill than send them to retail.

I seriously doubt There Will Be Blood will see release. This is most likely just an error on their web site. Somebody forgot to notify their web master that the titles were cancelled.
Old 03-05-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I don't know how to state this any clearer:

There Will Be Blood and Bee Movie AREN'T coming to HD DVD. Nor is anything else from Paramount or Dreamworks that wasn't released yesterday. I've confrimed this more than once through several people at Paramount, and they've sent out official PR cancelling all of the mentioned titles.

There Will Be Blood IS back on Paramount's site, but ONLY the single and double disc DVD versions, NOT an HD DVD version.

Case closed.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 03-05-08 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-05-08, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I don't know how to state this any clearer:

There Will Be Blood and Bee Movie AREN'T coming to HD DVD. Nor is anything else from Paramount or Dreamworks that wasn't released yesterday. I've confrimed this more than once through several people at Paramount, and they've sent out official PR cancelling all of the mentioned titles.

There Will Be Blood IS back on Paramount's site, but ONLY the single and double disc DVD versions, NOT an HD DVD version.

Case closed.
Not sure about "There Will Be Blood" as I'm having trouble getting the search function to work right on their website. But "Bee Movie" is definately listed on their site as having HD DVD. If you click, "Buy Now", it even gives you the option to purchase it on HD DVD from Amazon (which, by the way, still has the movie as coming out March 11 as a pre-order for $27.99). "There Will Be Blood" was pulled from Amazon, so that I'm still assuming that it likely has been cancelled.
Old 03-05-08, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They should stop being ridiculous and officially announce clear plans for previously-announced HD-DVD releases and upcoming Blu-ray releases. Surely at least one person has told them that the entire online community is up in arms about this.
Old 03-05-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
They should stop being ridiculous and officially announce clear plans for previously-announced HD-DVD releases and upcoming Blu-ray releases. Surely at least one person has told them that the entire online community is up in arms about this.
And what a riot those 200 people can cause!
Old 03-06-08, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
As I already noted, they HAVE officially cancelled the titles...it's the other retailers that have been late to the game notifiying their customers of the cancellations.
Old 03-06-08, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We already had confirmation that this title was cancelled last week. Shannon has now confirmed, TWICE, it is cancelled. I hope that sinks in now.

I think this thread should be cancelled as well.
Old 03-06-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, especially since Shannon is involved with DVDEmpire and he hasn't been wrong before (e.g. the initial Jack Ryan postponement)
Old 03-06-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
As I already noted, they HAVE officially cancelled the titles.
I'm sorry, but could you please be a little more clear?
Is this one coming out or not?

Old 03-06-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by matome
Yeah, especially since Shannon is involved with DVDEmpire and he hasn't been wrong before (e.g. the initial Jack Ryan postponement)
Thanks matome. And with that said, I would like to now officially cancel JERICHO.