Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Is it safe to use Skip Dr. on HD DVD discs?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-08, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All of my HD DVDs are in perfect condition, but I bought 10 movies under the Hollywood Video clearance sales today. Most of the discs look like they've never been played, but some are littered with very light scratches. I put them all in and fast forwarded at 4x through each one and each played through, so I think they're okay.

I'm wondering if people have successfully used Skip Dr. on HD DVD discs. I am wondering if the little scratches the device makes will actually hurt the discs because of how much info they store in small space.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-23-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using Skip Dr. on anything. Everytime I have seen one used on a disc it leaves the disc looking like it was used as a sander on a construction site. You're better off to find a place that resurfaces discs on the cheap.
Old 02-23-08, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I wouldn't recommend using Skip Dr. on anything. Everytime I have seen one used on a disc it leaves the disc looking like it was used as a sander on a construction site. You're better off to find a place that resurfaces discs on the cheap.
Oh, okay that's a good idea. I'll keep that in mind if I ever run into problems. I have a bigger HD collection than Blu and I always loved HD, but I do quite enjoy the greater surface protection on blu discs... it would make buying used a lot easier.
Old 02-23-08, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To answer the original question, HD DVD discs can be resurfaced. Blu Ray discs cannot, which is why they have the protective hard coat.
Old 02-24-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
It's supposed to look like that. But it is radial, so shouldn't affect playback, although I would be more hesitant on an HD disc. That said, the Dr. is a last resort in my book anyway. You shouldn't use it until absolutely necessary.
Old 02-24-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiky
It's supposed to look like that. But it is radial, so shouldn't affect playback, although I would be more hesitant on an HD disc. That said, the Dr. is a last resort in my book anyway. You shouldn't use it until absolutely necessary.
I understand that it shouldn't affect the playback but it sure looks like hell.
Old 02-25-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's definitely better to get them buffed. Gamecrazy will buff discs for you (forget how much they want). I could probably get my local mom n pop videogame store to do it if I asked.
Old 02-25-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
It's definitely better to get them buffed. Gamecrazy will buff discs for you (forget how much they want). I could probably get my local mom n pop videogame store to do it if I asked.
If you buy these discs at HV, the girl told me they have a lifetime guarantee, and since you won't be able to exchange it for the same title, if there's anything wrong, just take it in and they'll buff it for free. Just remember to keep the receipt...