HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

GameStop No Longer Taking HD DVD Trades

Old 02-20-08, 12:31 AM

GameStop No Longer Taking HD DVD Trades

To add insult to injury to poor HD DVD:

"GameStop no longer taking HD DVD trades, possibly not taking 360 HD DVD drive either."

Link to full story:

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/02/19...ot-taking-360/

I don't fully understand GameStop's rationale for doing this.

I guess they are afraid of being flooded with people wanting to dump their HD DVDs or 360 drives.

For my part, if they had inexpensive used HD DVDs it would give me a reason to shop there.
Old 02-20-08, 12:38 AM
Banned by request

I just heard this as well. They've already stopped giving cash for DVD trade-ins, and they do a ton of B1G1 sales, so I imagine they're purposefully trying to keep their non-game inventory very small.
Old 02-20-08, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rumor is that they are not going to carry any more DVDs after Feb 25th and I assume that means no BDs or HD-DVDs.
Old 02-20-08, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Rumor is that they are not going to carry any more DVDs after Feb 25th and I assume that means no BDs or HD-DVDs.
This is a good move, I think. Just because it is a pawn shop doesn't mean it has to look like one.
Old 02-20-08, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

When I picked up Blu-rays last week they told me to check back. They will be selling them all B2G4 free to clear out the rest. They are dropping all movies.
Old 02-20-08, 08:24 AM

The email to stop taking HD-DVDs came down Monday and is effective starting today.

The reason we stopped giving cash for movies is because so many crack heads would come in with stolen shit trying to pawn it to us.

Also, certain lower volume stores are doing a Buy 2 get 4 free to get rid of their remaining inventory. Supposedly, the company is moving towards phasing used DVDs out altogether(which has been rumored since last fall).
Old 02-20-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i guess they'll have to remove the "and movies too..." part of the store sign then.
Old 02-20-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GogoTheMimic
Also, certain lower volume stores are doing a Buy 2 get 4 free to get rid of their remaining inventory.
When does this start?
Old 02-20-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bmello
When does this start?
Feb 25th is the rumored date.
Old 02-20-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

. . . because so many crack heads would come in with stolen shit trying to pawn it to us.

EWWW!!! I don't know what's more disgusting -- that they'd bring it in, or that you'd give them money for it!!

Old 02-20-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by applesandrice
EWWW!!! I don't know what's more disgusting -- that they'd bring it in, or that you'd give them money for it!!

Number 1 reason why I stopped buying used a while ago (well, aside from the misconceived price advantage of buying used). Don't know where those discs have been!
Old 02-20-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven
Just because it is a pawn shop doesn't mean it has to look like one.
Oh, I thought my store was the only one.
Old 02-20-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
Number 1 reason why I stopped buying used a while ago (well, aside from the misconceived price advantage of buying used). Don't know where those discs have been!
Most likely still sealed in the package they just lifted from Wal-mart.
Old 02-20-08, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Edison
Most likely still sealed in the package they just lifted from Wal-mart.
The 4 BDs I picked up this weekend were brand new when traded in. I'll really miss being able to pick up 4 BDs for $30 when they stop taking them in trade.
Old 02-21-08, 10:10 AM

I didn't say we took their trades; I just said they would come in. They would be pristine box sets with the security tag ripped out of them.

Everyone had different things they would say to get them to leave because we can't flat out say "We can't take your stolen shit" because then they could sue(I know, the world is so fucked up).

Kinda obvious when one guy is shaking like crazy when he drops some DVDs on the counter and you open a case and there are needles inside; THAT was crazy.
Old 02-21-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't say we took their trades; I just said they would come in. They would be pristine box sets with the security tag ripped out of them.

Everyone had different things they would say to get them to leave because we can't flat out say "We can't take your stolen shit" because then they could sue(I know, the world is so fucked up).

Kinda obvious when one guy is shaking like crazy when he drops some DVDs on the counter and you open a case and there are needles inside; THAT was crazy.

Yikes -- that would be crazy. Would you guys call the police when something like that happened?

Also, in my other post I was just making a cheap joke based on the idea that anyone would ever buy or sell feces.
Old 02-21-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[quote-applesandrice]Kinda obvious when one guy is shaking like crazy when he drops some DVDs on the counter and you open a case and there are needles inside; THAT was crazy.
Yikes -- that would be crazy. Would you guys call the police when something like that happened?[/QUOTE]
It isn't illegal to carry syringes. Now if he was "tying off" in front of him...

All in all however, a crazy combination if you consider that a lot of kids hang out there. A dealer loitering in front of the store could make a mint on two fronts!
Old 02-21-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
It isn't illegal to carry syringes. Now if he was "tying off" in front of him...

All in all however, a crazy combination if you consider that a lot of kids hang out there. A dealer loitering in front of the store could make a mint on two fronts!

I guess I didn't mean just about the syringes -- for all they knew the guy could've been diabetic or something. I meant would they call the police when they suspected someone was trying to pawn stolen goods.
Old 02-22-08, 01:06 AM

There really isn't anything we can do other than take down their info if the police ask for it. There was a huge bust in our area with a ring of people stealing movies from the local Walmart last fall.

Since then it hasn't been too terrible except now they're trying to bring in budget PS2 games and 360 controllers and stuff. It's annoying to have to keep turning them away and dealing with them getting angry that we won't give them their drug money and causing a scene in the store.
Old 02-22-08, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does Game Stop still take in Blu-ray movies?
Old 02-22-08, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Does Game Stop still take in Blu-ray movies?
Most do; the only stores that don't are the ones doing the B2G4.
Old 02-22-08, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Gotcha. I have not seen used Blu-rays in months (or HD DVDs). Figured all stores just stopped taking them anyway.
Old 02-22-08, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Gotcha. I have not seen used Blu-rays in months (or HD DVDs). Figured all stores just stopped taking them anyway.
The only BluRays our store ever seems to get in are various ones from the 5 free promotion and TONS of Spiderman 3s; we're one of the biggest trade stores in our region too.
Old 02-22-08, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I frequent 3-5 GameStops every month and have only ever really see T. Nights and Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray along with...King Kong on HD DVD. Oh well.
Old 02-23-08, 03:23 AM

I had time to check out one GameStop on Thursday which was running the Buy 2 - Get 2 sale.

Went ahead and picked up 3 HD DVDs [The Fountain; Transformers 2-disc; Blade Runner (5-disc Complete Collector's Edition set)]; and the standard DVD 4-disc box set The Tarzan Collection Volume 1 (Johnny Weissmuller) - all for $35.98 (about $9.00 each) plus tax.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.