Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

quick question, does the PS3 have an optical out jack for audio?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-23-08, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks.
Old 02-23-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes it does.
Old 02-23-08, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thank you...one more question now that i think of it, if you get a receiver that does hdmi video only, whats the difference in quality with the audio if you use optical cable, as opposed to hdmi?
Old 02-23-08, 08:57 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
thank you...one more question now that i think of it, if you get a receiver that does hdmi video only, whats the difference in quality with the audio if you use optical cable, as opposed to hdmi?
The difference would be monsterous. The PS3 with a HDMI audio capable receiver can decode TrueHD and send out PCM audio properly (with the supposed DTS HD MA coming in a future firmware upgradE). The difference between optical and hdmi audio on the ps3 is HUGE. Night and day. If you can, use a receiver that can do HDMI audio, you will not regret it when the majority of Blu-Ray releases have lossless audio.
Old 02-23-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Optical can only carry two channels of PCM or more typically 5.1 channels of lossy DTS or Dolby Digital. HDMI for audio can carry 5.1 or 7.1 channels of PCM.
Old 02-23-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the help everyone...you have made me decide to get a Sony 6.1 receiver that costs about $250 over an Onkyo htib that costs about $500, the sony does audio processing with hdmi, the onkyo does not.
Old 02-24-08, 07:21 AM

It is my understanding that using the HDMI output with a PS3 allows you 5.1 channel audio with SACD's. Provided the PS3 that you have still supports SACD. Also using the HDMI enables you to upconvert the redbook audio from regular compact discs.
Old 02-24-08, 07:40 AM

Also, it has been well documented on threads on this forum as well as many others that some receivers can not properly handle the PS3's DD 5.1/DTS signal via Optical. This causes the receiver to occasionally cut out at various times for about a second and then come back on.

I had this issue myself and ended up buying a new receiver with HDMI because this issue annoyed me so much.

This happens only when playback on BRs, and apparently happens because the PS3 outputs more kHz during playback of certain BRs than the receiver can handle.
Old 02-24-08, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuePaso
The difference would be monsterous. The PS3 with a HDMI audio capable receiver can decode TrueHD and send out PCM audio properly (with the supposed DTS HD MA coming in a future firmware upgradE). The difference between optical and hdmi audio on the ps3 is HUGE. Night and day. If you can, use a receiver that can do HDMI audio, you will not regret it when the majority of Blu-Ray releases have lossless audio.
You know what would impress me? If I could hear the goddamn dialog without getting blasted by the sound effects so bad. I think the dynamic range on things these days is too damn much. I don't like constantly adjusting my volume during a movie.
Old 02-24-08, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Viper187
You know what would impress me? If I could hear the goddamn dialog without getting blasted by the sound effects so bad. I think the dynamic range on things these days is too damn much. I don't like constantly adjusting my volume during a movie.
It sounds like your HT is not properly calibrated.
Old 02-24-08, 11:05 AM

How can you plug 2 HDMI cables into PS3(one for reciever,one for tv)when it only has one HDMI connection?
Old 02-24-08, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by NEUMANN
How can you plug 2 HDMI cables into PS3(one for reciever,one for tv)when it only has one HDMI connection?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...01&cp_id=10110
Old 02-24-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by NEUMANN
you don't need to. you run the HDMI out from the PS3 into the HDMI in on your receiver and then run the HDMI out on the receiver to the TV. the receiver handles the audio and passes the video on to the TV.
Old 02-24-08, 11:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hoyalawya
It sounds like your HT is not properly calibrated.
What the hell should I need to calibrate and why? It's an Onkyo SR-604, fyi.
Old 02-24-08, 12:19 PM

What the hell should I need to calibrate and why? It's an Onkyo SR-604, fyi.
Err ... you need to calibrate your HT to make sure that the sound level from each speaker is what it should be. Try to play around with the THX Optimizer on a THX DVD to grap the concept.
Old 02-24-08, 01:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hoyalawya
Err ... you need to calibrate your HT to make sure that the sound level from each speaker is what it should be. Try to play around with the THX Optimizer on a THX DVD to grap the concept.
Where would I find one of those?
Old 02-24-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Do you have any "Star Wars" DVDs? They all have a THX Optimizer, along with several titles boasting the THX logo.
Old 02-24-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check any DVD with the THX logo on it. Most have it. T2, most Pixar flicks, Star Wars, Fight Club, etc.

Your receiver features Auto Speaker Calibration with Audyssey 2EQ. Your receiver should have come with a microphone that you plug in and place where your sitting (at ear level), and the receiver calibrates itself.

Last edited by CKMorpheus; 02-24-08 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-24-08, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
Do you have any "Star Wars" DVDs? They all have a THX Optimizer, along with several titles boasting the THX logo.
Found it, but I see nothing wrong. It doesn't give me much to work with. Would jacking up the volume on the center speaker help with hearing dialog or something?
Old 02-24-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Found it, but I see nothing wrong. It doesn't give me much to work with. Would jacking up the volume on the center speaker help with hearing dialog or something?
Yeah, that would solve your problem. I have my center speaker a tad louder than it probably should be for the same reason. Don't go crazy though. Just do small increments until it sounds right.
Old 02-24-08, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
Yeah, that would solve your problem. I have my center speaker a tad louder than it probably should be for the same reason. Don't go crazy though. Just do small increments until it sounds right.
Thanks