HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Will some HD-DVDs become collector's items?

Old 02-20-08, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Will some HD-DVDs become collector's items?

There are still some laserdiscs out there bring in some coin wondering what you guys thought if any would could become collector's items.

I know that Band of Brothers set is sorta looking like the Holy Grail of HD-DVDs.
Old 02-20-08, 02:14 AM

It all depends on how limited of a window that the title was available. Really the only title that I would think might be a collector's item is Pan's Labyrinth. It is the only New Line Cinema HD DVD. It was released shortly before the WB announcment and has been rumored to have only been manufactured for a couple of weeks. After Paramount stopped production of Blu-ray, no title became worth much more than the retail price. In fact you can still find Paramount blu-rays like Babel, Aeon Flux, and Mission impossible box sets at alot of best buy stores. I think that Trading Places and Coming to America might have been worth something more than retail for a time, but that will change very soon.

Last edited by Parasol Stars; 02-20-08 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 03:33 AM

poor selling WB catalog released to hddvd only are the the most likely-

I don't see any reason for Pan's Labyrinth to be sought after as its already available in Bluray
Old 02-20-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking my Forbidden Planet tin may be valuable in time, but it depends on Warner and whether or not they do the same ultimate edition for Blu-ray.
Old 02-20-08, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I wonder if WHV will release Casablanca on Blu-ray. The reports I have read seem to indicate that it sold very poorly on HD DVD. Sad, since it's such an essential American film.

I imagine some of the imports might become collectors' items. I have Brotherhood of the Wolf, Reservoir Dogs, and the (way too expensive) Band of Brothers in HD. RD is available on Blu-ray, but who knows if the others will be released in the format.
Old 02-20-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think it's pretty much just like LD to DVD... as soon as an HD DVD exclusive comes out on BD, the value of the HD DVD will sharply decrease unless there is something unique about the HD DVD version like additional extras. If Band of Brothers comes out on BD with a BD encode and all extras, the HD DVD won't have much value at all except to the most die-hard HD DVD supporters / Band of Brothers fans.
Old 02-20-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by darkside
I'm thinking my Forbidden Planet tin may be valuable in time, but it depends on Warner and whether or not they do the same ultimate edition for Blu-ray.
This is exactly right. The LDs that are still "valuable" contain content that is otherwise unavailable on any other version of the film. If content on certain HD DVDs ends up not making it to Blu-ray (which makes little sense considering BR discs hold MORE data), then that title would obivously become a collector's item to completists fans of that title. That said, it will be a while before any BR releases of catalogue HD DVD titles show up to prove that one is more of a collector's item than another.
Old 02-20-08, 09:25 AM

I wonder if WHV will release Casablanca on Blu-ray. The reports I have read seem to indicate that it sold very poorly on HD DVD. Sad, since it's such an essential American film.
A QA tester from Warner Bros. has indicated that this title has been pressed on Blu-ray Disc for a while and is currently waiting a 'marketing window'. So, I'm not too worried about it, or any other Warner Bros. HD DVD-exclusive titles coming to BD eventually.

People who point to the tin have a good point. Additionally, I concur with those who feel that only films that aren't released on Blu-ray Disc will have value vice films that were available on both but had short 'windows' on HD DVD like Pan's Labyrinth. Therefore, I would look to films from Universal's catalog titles as potential candidates. There may be a long wait for the Blu-ray Disc counterpart to low-selling catalog titles from Universal.
Old 02-20-08, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I suppose if Paramount doesn't follow through on releasing the Jack Ryan HD DVD set and drags ass getting it out on Blu-Ray, it could be considered collectible for a little while.
Old 02-20-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hot Fuzz and Shaun!
Old 02-20-08, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll wager Fuzz and Shaun come out sooner rather than later. Same with most Rogue Pictures releases Universal already has out.
Old 02-20-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That's probably true, I was amazed Shaun came out so quickly in HD to begin with.

Possibly to coincide with the Run Fatboy Run release.

Now, if only they could get the music rights for Spaced and bring that the hell over.
Old 02-20-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd wage money on the Tideland import since they couldn't get the OAR right on the DVD here in the US.
Old 02-20-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is that what's been holding Spaced from coming to the US? Music rights? I am so glad I got the R2 completed series. I would love to have it in hi def though.
Old 02-20-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Is that what's been holding Spaced from coming to the US? Music rights? I am so glad I got the R2 completed series. I would love to have it in hi def though.
The rumor was/is that it's coming soon to R1. I'm not sure you'd get any benefit in hi-def since it was a low-rent (cheap) BBC tv series. An upconverted DVD is about as good as it would get.
Old 02-23-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is Brotherhood of the Wolf OOP now? I know that I can find it on some specialty sites like xploited, but not on the UK amazon. Just curious.
Old 02-23-08, 12:52 PM

I think some of the niche movies like timecop and tremors, that may never come to bluray could end up being valuable. HD DVD is the only to get timecop in anamorphic widescreen so that could help.
Old 02-23-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about The Song Remains the Same? Were there many copies that got out? I have it on BD, but it has the audio dropouts. The HD DVD version does not have the dropouts, and it has the radio segment that isn't being included on new copies due to a copyright issue (song playing in the background).
Old 02-23-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ They are both being officially released again on both formats shortly. So they may have corrected some of those issues.
Old 02-23-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I own the Naqoyqatsi HD-DVD from Japan. I doubt we'll see that on Blu any time soon.
Old 02-23-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about the South Park and CSI:NY promotional HD DVD's?
Old 02-23-08, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wewantflair
If not put out on Blu-ray that South Park disc will probably be pretty collectible, but I think that HD episode is also available as an Xbox download.
Old 02-23-08, 04:59 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by wewantflair
Tell me more about the CSI disc please.

We don't have that in the HDM exclusive disc thread yet.
Old 02-23-08, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by darkside
If not put out on Blu-ray that South Park disc will probably be pretty collectible, but I think that HD episode is also available as an Xbox download.
I have the episode in 1080p on my xbox.
Old 02-23-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Tell me more about the CSI disc please.

We don't have that in the HDM exclusive disc thread yet.
Edit: Here's more info

Last edited by DthRdrX; 02-23-08 at 05:12 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.