Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Did Blockbuster online suddenly decide to dump HD DVD too?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-23-08, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to my Queue on Blockbuster's online site and ALL of my HD DVD rentals for upcoming releases suddenly disappeared. I went to the HD DVD collections and sure enough, the upcoming releases are GONE.

Bee Movie, I Am Legend, Sweeney Todd, There Will Be Blood, etc.

I will be PISSED if Blockbuster follows Netflix this quickly. WTF, I just switched to back to them because they were carrying HD DVD still.

So is there any online service that will still carry HD DVD???
Old 02-23-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
American Gangster is still in my Blockbuster Online queue, for what that's worth. I know it's not technically an upcoming release, but...
Old 02-23-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
There is no guarantee those movies are going to be coming out on HD-DVD (except for TWBB I think).
Old 02-23-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All of the existing HD titles are still in my queue. Most of the newer movies probably won't be released on HD, and even if they are, why would they want to purchase them now that they know the demand for those titles is not going to grow and will in fact, shrink over time? It's a business decision that makes sense.

I don't say this as some boasting BR advocate but as a fellow HDer who remembers what happened to Beta. I am going to enjoy Blockbuster HD as long as they have them and then move back to DVD until the PS3 has a price drop.
Old 02-23-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts
Hopefully these studios will go ahead and release these titles on Blu-Ray so we wont have to worry about it anymore.

mod note: Please stay out of this thread. Thanks. -namja

I'm not dumping on HD-DVD at all. I am also a Blockbuster subscriber and would like to be able to get some of these discontinued titles in HD.

Last edited by dsa_shea; 02-23-08 at 12:01 PM.
Old 02-23-08, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
There is no guarantee those movies are going to be coming out on HD-DVD (except for TWBB I think).
Into the Wild and Things Lost in the Fire are "guaranteed" as they have been pressed and hit some online distributors.

EVERYTHING else is really up in the air.
Old 02-23-08, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Into the Wild and Things Lost in the Fire are "guaranteed" as they have been pressed and hit some online distributors.

EVERYTHING else is really up in the air.
Guaranteed just like Blades of Glory... Give me a break. They could recall it in a blink of an eye.
Old 02-23-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
At this point, buying anything with a future release date, or renting anything tomorrow on HD DVD, can change as quick as the direction of the wind. I wouldn't be surprised if Blockbuster discontinues their HD DVD selection very soon, if they haven't already. And movie studios promising HD DVD titles for the next few months, may decide not to.