Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Sweeney Todd (HD DVD) - 04.01.08

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-21-08, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Artwork

Sweeney Todd * HD DVD * 04.01.08 * $39.99 MSRP

Widescreen 1.85:1
1080p VC-1

Dolby TrueHD 5.1 lossless audio

* Featurette: Burton + Depp + Carter = Todd
* Interview: Sweeney Todd Press Conference, November 2007
* Featurette: Sweeney Todd is Alive: The Real History of the Demon Barber
* Featurette: Musical Mayhem: Sondheim's Sweeney Todd
* Featurette: Sweeney's London
* Featurette: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
* Featurette: Grand Guignol: A Theatrical Tradition
* Featurette: Designs for a Demon Barber
* Featurette: A Bloody Business
* Interview: Moviefone Unscripted with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp
* Featurette: The Razor's Refrain
* Photo Gallery: Photo Gallery
* Trailers: Theatrical Trailer

Last edited by PopcornTreeCt; 02-22-08 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts
It'll also be out on CED on 4/1
Old 02-22-08, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was really excited for this after I saw it in theaters but I really don't want to buy it now since HD DVD is dead.
Old 02-22-08, 12:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
It'll also be out on CED on 4/1
That kind of comment is not necessary.
Old 02-22-08, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Sweeney Todd * HD DVD * 04.01.08 * $39.99 MSRP
Considering this is the currently the majority of the HD DVD owners' philosophy:
Originally Posted by GogoTheMimic
I was really excited for this after I saw it in theaters but I really don't want to buy it now since HD DVD is dead.
I simply cannot comprehend the reasoning behind this marketing strategy, unless they've already pressed a supply of them and hope to unload them first before releasing a Blu-ray version.
Old 02-22-08, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
I simply cannot comprehend the reasoning behind this marketing strategy, unless they've already pressed a supply of them and hope to unload them first before releasing a Blu-ray version.
It isn't as though all of the HD-DVD owners have suddenly disappeared; there are still plenty of people who would be interested in buying copies of this, There Will Be Blood or Cloverfield on the format. Cancelling them outright is the wrong thing to do, IMO.
Old 02-22-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
It isn't as though all of the HD-DVD owners have suddenly disappeared; there are still plenty of people who would be interested in buying copies of this, There Will Be Blood or Cloverfield on the format. Cancelling them outright is the wrong thing to do, IMO.
But I'm saying there is already a limited market and many HD DVD owners realize their player is a ticking timebomb. When it dies, they have no way to play their discs anymore. Why would you exacerbate that pain by further expanding your library with titles for a destined-to-be-obsolete format? Makes no sense to me.
Old 02-22-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will buy this, and "There Will Be Blood" and "Cloverfield" on HD-DVD as soon as they hit. No question about it.
Old 02-22-08, 08:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus
+1. Unless a Blu-ray version magically appears on store shelves on April 1, I'm buying this puppy on HD DVD instead of waiting. Same goes for There Will Be Blood.
Old 02-22-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts
Why do the last few HD DVD titles have to be ones I actually want?
Old 02-22-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rusty James
+1. Unless a Blu-ray version magically appears on store shelves on April 1, I'm buying this puppy on HD DVD instead of waiting. Same goes for There Will Be Blood.
+2. I also have Beowulf coming in the mail.
Old 02-22-08, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But I'm saying there is already a limited market and many HD DVD owners realize their player is a ticking timebomb. When it dies, they have no way to play their discs anymore.
eBay dude. You'll be able to buy HD DVD players 50 years from now.
Old 02-22-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
But I'm saying there is already a limited market and many HD DVD owners realize their player is a ticking timebomb. When it dies, they have no way to play their discs anymore. Why would you exacerbate that pain by further expanding your library with titles for a destined-to-be-obsolete format? Makes no sense to me.
My Panasonic DVD player from 1999 is still going strong (and, shockingly, still plays every DVD I've put in since I got it without any firmware upgrades...maybe Sony could take a lesson from that) so I'm not worried about my Toshiba crapping out on me. If it does, I'll just get a replacement second-hand. It's not like they are all going into a landfill.
Old 02-22-08, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven
My Panasonic DVD player from 1999 is still going strong (and, shockingly, still plays every DVD I've put in since I got it without any firmware upgrades...maybe Sony could take a lesson from that) so I'm not worried about my Toshiba crapping out on me. If it does, I'll just get a replacement second-hand. It's not like they are all going into a landfill.
If you belong to Costco, you can always pick up a D3 for $80 as a back-up. If you find a better deal down the road, you can return it for a full refund. DVD players still fall under the no time limit return policy at Costco.

Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund.
Old 02-22-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven

My Toshiba DVD player of the same vintage as your Panasonic is still going strong, also. That's one major reason I felt safe picking up my A1 a year and a half ago.

I will absolutely be buying this HD DVD.