Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray Disc Player Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray Disc Player Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-12, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,072 Posts
Re: Blu-ray Disc Player Thread

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Looks like Costco has their own branded player to prevent price-matching wars, which they call the Panasonic 215. Very good price, and much better Bluray and Netflix performance.

Thanks for the help!
We took the Panasonic 215 back because it still has the Netflix bitrate change bug (screen flashes when the bitrate changes). We're still working on getting our old 60 gig PS3 repaired, and just watching DVDs on our laptops till then (that's why BD/DVD combo packs rule!)
Old 01-13-12, 09:45 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

We took the Panasonic 215 back because it still has the Netflix bitrate change bug (screen flashes when the bitrate changes). We're still working on getting our old 60 gig PS3 repaired, and just watching DVDs on our laptops till then (that's why BD/DVD combo packs rule!)
Just go buy a BD player for like $60....
Old 01-13-12, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The one flaw on the 2011 Pannys was the horrible flicker glitch on Netflix. I think it's a hardware issue. I am hopeful they corrected that for the new units. I mainly use mine though because of Amazon Instant Video, which I hope finally comes to the PS3 this year.
Old 01-17-12, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Just go buy a BD player for like $60....
I'm tired of cheaping out.

We absolutely loved the multi-functionality of the PS3. We specifically hunted down one that had hardware backwards compatibility with PS2, and the upconversion was great on DVDs. We could also put video files on memory sticks and plug them right in.

We're still working on getting the PS3 repaired, of the couple of stand alone Blu players we tried, they all seemed like a step backward from the "older" PS3 design.

Last edited by milo bloom; 01-17-12 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-13-12, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If anyone has a Panasonic DMP-BD60 player, that player can play BD discs from all regions.

All you need to do is load up the disc. When the message pops up that says the disc will only play in a Region B or C player pops up, press "stop" on the remote control. Then press "1" on the remote, followed by "enter." This will bypass the message and load up the disc to play normally.
Old 02-14-12, 11:11 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an Oppo-93 and it will be my main player in my home theater.

Does anyone know how much the "going rate" on a PS3 60GB (Fat - with PS2 compatibility) is going for these days?

Works great, but I needed the ability to shift subtitles on my 2.35:1 setup. Never played any games, just movies.

I would probably prefer to list on my local Craigslist, but I might go with a broader option if the price is right.

Thanks,
Rod319
Old 02-27-12, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel compelled to update:

The PS3 is a lost cause and we had bought a Roku box in the meantime for Netflix, so I went back and got another Panasonic 215 from Costco. Hooked it up, and it's a great little player. It's only $129.99 at Costco (after $40 instant rebate).
Old 03-02-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some of the new players are showing up on Amazon. The Panasonic DMP-BDT 220 and the LG BP620 are available to order. They have the Panny 320 listed, but only 3rd party sellers have it in stock.
Old 05-03-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm trying to figure out which Panasonic 3D player to buy - does anyone know if any major differences between the DMP-BDT320 and the S590? The latter is $20 cheaper. Should I just wait until the BDT-220 drops in price, or is it not a significant upgrade over the other two?
Old 05-23-12, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I ended up with the 220 - are there any settings I should adjust/optimize, or features I should turn on or off?
Old 05-23-12, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A different question, regarding the BDT220. I'm trying to upgrade the firmware, but my player is not connected to the internet and I don't have any blank CDs. I tried updating via flash drive, but nothing seems to happen, and Panasonic's website only mentions the internet and CD options.
Old 05-31-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today only - a refurbished Insignia for $39.99 shipped from Best Buy. Anyone interested in Region B discs now has no excuse, though apparently no one ever reads this thread, at least going by the lack of response to any of my three above questions.
Old 05-31-12, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
... though apparently no one ever reads this thread, at least going by the lack of response to any of my three above questions.
Dude, I own a SONY. Can't help with the panasonic but i would if I could.
Old 05-31-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No worries, I was able to answer two of the three myself.
Old 05-31-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Noirfan - I ordered one. Any idea if this is region-free out of the box or if it requires additional tinkering?
Old 05-31-12, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You will likely have to install the earlier firmware. Instructions here.
Old 05-31-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 119 Likes on 93 Posts

I'm tired of cheaping out.

We absolutely loved the multi-functionality of the PS3. We specifically hunted down one that had hardware backwards compatibility with PS2, and the upconversion was great on DVDs. We could also put video files on memory sticks and plug them right in.

We're still working on getting the PS3 repaired, of the couple of stand alone Blu players we tried, they all seemed like a step backward from the "older" PS3 design.
I honestly don't understand the backward compatibility appeal. I would never want to play PS2 games on a PS3. It would only add wear and tear and maybe the reason it needs the repair?
Old 05-31-12, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You will likely have to install the earlier firmware. Instructions here.
Perfect. Thanks.
Old 06-02-12, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Today only - a refurbished Insignia for $39.99 shipped from Best Buy. Anyone interested in Region B discs now has no excuse, though apparently no one ever reads this thread, at least going by the lack of response to any of my three above questions.
It is likely that this thread doesn't get much traffic nowadays. I long ago stopped updating the list in the first post because BD players have become commodity items and the considerable effort to keep track of the blizzard of models wasn't worth the effort IMO.

In the case of your specific questions, I simply don't have enough information answer them. I could try to research them but I wouldn't likely get any information that you couldn't find for yourself.

In the case of updating the firmware of your Panny player, it should be covered in the instruction manual. My much older Panny player can only be updated online or by CD. I don't do either because it has worked flawlessly for years. But that doesn't mean that the update process hasn't changed for newer models. Checking the update webpage for your player model ought to give detailed instructions for how to do it. Since it doesn't list updating by flash drive, it seems likely that method won't work.
Old 06-02-12, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
I ended up plugging my Blu-ray player directly into my internet connection and updated it that way, thanks. Strange that it would include a flash drive but not provide that as an updating option.

Originally Posted by lizard
I long ago stopped updating the list in the first post because BD players have become commodity items and the considerable effort to keep track of the blizzard of models wasn't worth the effort IMO.
Perhaps a mod could un-sticky this thread then?
Old 04-11-14, 11:45 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have HD movie file, in the USB attached to the player, that is running too fast. Is there any easy way to convert the frame rate to 24fps?

I did a conversion on my AVS Video Converter. After that the codec information states that the file is running at 24fps. But it is actually running at the same speed and time length as before the conversion.