Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray Disc Player Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray Disc Player Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Blu-ray Disc Player Thread

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I want to get a BD player for my brother for his birthday. I want to spend as close to $200 as possible. Any thoughts?

I was looking at this one today while at Sam's Club: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...256&pCatg=7404
Wal Mart has a Sharp, a Magnavox, and a Sylvania all under $200. I'm sure they are all rebranded from another manufacturer but for that kind of money they'd probably be in the same class as that Phillips.
Old 06-14-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quake1028
I want to get a BD player for my brother for his birthday. I want to spend as close to $200 as possible. Any thoughts?

I was looking at this one today while at Sam's Club: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...256&pCatg=7404
You can order a Panasonic DMP-BD60 from www.6ave.com for $198.55 delivered. They are an authorized dealer. Use coupon code AFL5 at checkout.

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PANDMPBD60
Old 06-17-09, 09:47 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James
You can order a Panasonic DMP-BD60 from www.6ave.com for $198.55 delivered. They are an authorized dealer. Use coupon code AFL5 at checkout.
THANK YOU S.B.J.! I'd like to update on this...
That coupon code also works on the BD-80, bringing it to about $280.00.
I didn't want to entrust a delicate piece of electronics to my local joke of a Post Office, so I went to a local 6th Ave store armed with a printout of the $198.55 price of the BD-60 with the code and asked them to match their internet price. They hemmed & hawed, but finally offered to do $198.97. They claimed this is their cost, and was the lowest they could go. I wasn't about to quibble for 40-odd cents, so I grabbed it. The sales clerk brings it to the front desk, and a different checkout guy rings it up. That checkout guy GLARED at me and practically pushed the box across the counter to me. Clearly NOT happy to see a customer get a legit deal - LOL.
Anyways - this may be a YMMV deal, but You should (with varying degrees of resistance) be able to get the deal in-store with a printout.
Old 07-03-09, 12:03 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Toying with the thought of jumping into the BD pool....wanted WIFI Netflix access....

Any thoughts on the major differences between LG BD390 vs Samsung P3600 vs Samsung P4600? (The 4600 just seems to have Pandora, which I'm not concerned about...)

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 07-08-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sweet Baby James

It's now down to $189.05 using the same coupon.
Old 07-08-09, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao
Toying with the thought of jumping into the BD pool....wanted WIFI Netflix access....

Any thoughts on the major differences between LG BD390 vs Samsung P3600 vs Samsung P4600? (The 4600 just seems to have Pandora, which I'm not concerned about...)

I'd opt for the LG; I've got the 390 and absolutely love it.
Old 07-08-09, 11:50 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao

Get the LG - Samsungs are giant POS'.
Old 07-08-09, 02:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

HKFlix is now selling the Oppo BD player (although their stock has not yet arrived from Oppo)...for $500. It only plays region 1 DVDs and region A Blu-rays as previously discussed.
Old 07-08-09, 02:52 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
HKFlix is now selling the Oppo BD player (although their stock has not yet arrived from Oppo)...for $500. It only plays region 1 DVDs and region A Blu-rays as previously discussed.
Actually, Amazon.com has it as well for $499.99. Free shipping and maybe no tax for some.
Old 07-08-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

There is supposedly unsupported firmware floating around that will make it region free, but who knows what Oppo will do to combat this. If they figure out how it's being done they could keep restrict it with their next necessary update.

And $500 for a player which has to be hacked by third-parties for region free is still too much IMO. If and when my BD30 dies I may consider getting it for my primary player, but otherwise no sale.
Old 07-09-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JVC XV-BP1 is getting a lot of attention at AVS. Loads as fast as the PS3 or Oppo and looks great in both BD and SD. Someone ran some artificial tests and it performed very well. So well in fact, some are calling it the "poor man's Oppo". At ~$230-$250 street, it might be worth a look for anyone still in the market.
Old 07-09-09, 09:53 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
There is supposedly unsupported firmware floating around that will make it region free, but who knows what Oppo will do to combat this. If they figure out how it's being done they could keep restrict it with their next necessary update.

And $500 for a player which has to be hacked by third-parties for region free is still too much IMO. If and when my BD30 dies I may consider getting it for my primary player, but otherwise no sale.
Oppo wanted the player to be DVD and BD free but the big bad BDA said 'No!'. Which is silly because we are so close to the Chinese players hitting retail and they certainly won't give two shits about what the BDA wants. Hopefully that will loosen up some of the other CEs to 'slip' a remote hack in. I'm on the fence with the Oppo...but likely will stick to my trusty S550 because of the damn backlit remote. Why CE's don't do backlit remotes more often, especially with their "premium" version of their players (LG BD390, Samsung 3600 etc) boggles me.
Old 07-09-09, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Oppo wanted the player to be DVD and BD free but the big bad BDA said 'No!'. Which is silly because we are so close to the Chinese players hitting retail and they certainly won't give two shits about what the BDA wants. Hopefully that will loosen up some of the other CEs to 'slip' a remote hack in. I'm on the fence with the Oppo...but likely will stick to my trusty S550 because of the damn backlit remote. Why CE's don't do backlit remotes more often, especially with their "premium" version of their players (LG BD390, Samsung 3600 etc) boggles me.
That's why I bought the Costco version of the 350. It came with the 550's backlit remote.
Old 07-09-09, 12:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
That's why I bought the Costco version of the 350. It came with the 550's backlit remote.
Yeah, I had that before but needed the internal DTS MA decoding. Wish they carried the LG 390 with backlit remote.
Old 07-09-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

There is supposedly unsupported firmware floating around that will make it region free......
Here's the region-free firmware:

Oppo BDP-83

Supposedly, it works just fine on all-regions, DVD and BD.

I don't mind the $500 price tag, as this box also supports DVD-A and SACD playback, of which I own many. IMHO, for a universal player with a region-free hack, it's a bargain.
Old 07-10-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Any thoughts on the Sony BDP-S360, I am think about gettting a standalone bluray player soon, because I don't like my PS3 running loud, and if I started using it for games only, it might keep it from breaking on me. I heard it will decode both Dolby Truehd and DtS ma, but there is no eject button on the remote. That doesn't bother me too much, as long as its a good player that will last me a long time.
Old 07-10-09, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Any thoughts on the Sony BDP-S360, I am think about gettting a standalone bluray player soon, because I don't like my PS3 running loud, and if I started using it for games only, it might keep it from breaking on me. I heard it will decode both Dolby Truehd and DtS ma, but there is no eject button on the remote. That doesn't bother me too much, as long as its a good player that will last me a long time.
Yes, internally decodes both TrueHD and DTS MA.
Yes, no eject button on the remote (though there is a workaround on AVS....can't remember but its like press a button twice?)

Get it at Costco where its called the BDX2 and you get a backlit remote.
Old 07-13-09, 07:29 PM
Suspended

Some of us got in a deal last night for a $50 Blu-ray player (Sherwood something) and its been confirmed to be a Momitsmu in disguise...which is also region free which a few clicks of the remote. Looks like the BDA can't control region coding with Chinese players
Old 07-15-09, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Some of us got in a deal last night for a $50 Blu-ray player (Sherwood something) and its been confirmed to be a Momitsmu in disguise...which is also region free which a few clicks of the remote. Looks like the BDA can't control region coding with Chinese players
I saw you all trying to keep that hush-hush over at AVS.
Old 07-15-09, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superman07
I saw you all trying to keep that hush-hush over at AVS.
As soon as it hits the 'internet' Fatwallet joins in and you hav people buying 5-20 players for resell and ruining the deal.
Old 07-15-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Panasonic DMP-BD60 is $198 $195 at Amazon today, a reasonable price for a good player. Might be better deals out there, but I haven't looked.

Last edited by lizard; 07-17-09 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-17-09, 08:49 AM
Suspended

LG BH200 now 2.0. LG came through!

The one and only HD DVD / Blu-ray 2.0 player. It does everything but internal DTS MA.
Old 07-21-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those who like Sony products, Amazon has the BDP-S360 for $217.99. No streaming or anything. I just got one and like it so far. It's very small. I do believe the load time has improved some. And it definitely seems like it handles java menus a bit better than their last gen models. This is one improvement it has over the Panasonic, which still is more sluggish.
Old 07-21-09, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best Buy has the Pioneer BDP-51FD on clearance for $149.99. This is a profile 1.1 player...but it's built like a tank and supports all the hi-res audio formats. I was able to get two open box units for $119.99 each (for my brother and I) at lunch today.
Old 07-21-09, 01:14 PM
Suspended

I'll be looking today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.