Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-ray Disc Player Thread

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Blu-ray Disc Player Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-10, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blu-ray Disc Player Thread

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Samsung is releasing a 3D BD Player with two HDMI outputs (for those people who don't have a 1.4 receiver):
Picked up the C7900 with the two HDMI ports and have to say it's pretty bad-ass. Boot-up is virtually immediate and it flies through java disc loading. I have a non-1080p Denon receiver, which I have no plans on upgrading, so the dual-HDMI worked perfectly for me. This player eliminates the analog outs from the C6900. The built-in wireless N connects immediately with no hitches. Tons of internet apps and games that are supposedly being added to all the time. Netflix HD streams without a hitch. PQ & AQ are excellent and it's sweet looking too with it's illuminated see through cover.
Old 08-27-10, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Best Buy has added a new, cheaper Insignia for $99. Model: NS-BRDVD4
Old 08-30-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by matome
Picked up the C7900 with the two HDMI ports and have to say it's pretty bad-ass. Boot-up is virtually immediate and it flies through java disc loading. I have a non-1080p Denon receiver, which I have no plans on upgrading, so the dual-HDMI worked perfectly for me. This player eliminates the analog outs from the C6900. The built-in wireless N connects immediately with no hitches. Tons of internet apps and games that are supposedly being added to all the time. Netflix HD streams without a hitch. PQ & AQ are excellent and it's sweet looking too with it's illuminated see through cover.
I'm looking for a player with:

1) Great BR audio/video
2) 7.1 audio
3) Built in WiFi
4) 3D/Dual HDMI (I'd count this as the future proof list)

Before 3D took of I was looking at the Panny 85, but then started to think about the Samsung C6500. With the revisions I was looking at the 6800, but what littled feedback I can get suggests it's somewhat cheap (lesser components, build quaility). Any suggestions given my criteria? The 7900 sounds great with the exception of now 7.1. However, I have a feeling I'm going to be hard pressed to find something that is 7.1 and dual HDMI.
Old 08-30-10, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually the Panny DMP-BDT300 & 350 are 3D players that have dual-HDMI and still have the 7.1 analog outs. I was looking at those as well, though they seem to be pretty hard to find. I went with the 7900 since the 6900 had gotten really good reviews and it was readily available direct from Amazon for a good price.
Old 09-21-10, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone shed any light on the LG BD570? I was looking for an inexpensive player to attach to a 40" LCD in the bedroom. Thanks
Old 09-21-10, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I saw the BD-65 on sale this week for $99 - that might work. I'm not sure how much the BD570 is going for these days.

I ordered a Samsung BD-C6800 last night. I'll let you all know how it is after I get some use out of it. Hopefully it's a little quicker than the 6500 since CNET said that model was slow.
Old 09-21-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD.guy
Can anyone shed any light on the LG BD570? I was looking for an inexpensive player to attach to a 40" LCD in the bedroom. Thanks
As Superman07 pointed out, if inexpensive is what you are looking for, you can find less expensive players than the LG BD570. Do you want the networking (Netflix, YouTube, et al.) capabilities? Without that, entry level models are under $100. Networking players can be found in the $100 to $120 range.
Old 09-25-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry if this has been addressed before ... I just bought the Sony BDP-S270. This is my first Blu-ray device. I have it hardwired to my router right now and have my Netflix all set up. However, someday I'd like to go wireless. Is the Sony Bravia wireless adapter the only compatible adapter for this player, or does someone know a (cheaper) alternative product? I tried connecting a neighbor's adapter (D-Link), but the player did not event recognize it as an adapter. Thoughts/suggestions?
Old 09-25-10, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wireless adapters for TV's/Blu-ray players are usually proprietary. Out of curiosity I had tried a USB wireless on my Panny BDT-300 and it woudn't even recognize a device attached. The packaged Panny one immediately connects.
Old 09-25-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matome
Wireless adapters for TV's/Blu-ray players are usually proprietary. Out of curiosity I had tried a USB wireless on my Panny BDT-300 and it woudn't even recognize a device attached. The packaged Panny one immediately connects.
Well, that sucks, especially since I didn't get one with wireless built-in. As I said, I can go wired for now without any difficulty, but in the future I may have to shell out some money.
Old 09-26-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm hardly an expert in this but I have been looking at how to connect my older model Panny BD80 to my new broadband. I believe it takes an "ethernet bridge" to connect the ethernet port on a BD player to a WiFi system. Or one can use powerline connectors* or direct hardwire ethernet cable to a router, if the distance is practical.

Newer model players have internal WiFi or are "WiFi capable" (one can use a USB WiFi adapter) but this doesn't work on older models that were intended to connect via ethernet cable.

I haven't decided whether to go the WiFi route or use powerline connectors. A direct cable run is not practical for me. If anyone has suggestions or experience with this, I'd be interested in hearing it.

*For example: NETGEAR XAVB101 Powerline AV Ethernet Adapter Kit or Actiontec MegaPlug 85 Mbps Ethernet Adapter Twin-Pack
Old 10-04-10, 02:22 PM

Oppo BDP-93
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/t...ay/oppo-bdp-93
Executive Overview

Just when you thought there wasn't a better Universal Blu-ray player on the market for under $500 than the legendary BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player, Oppo proves you wrong by unveiling a new successor model: the BDP-93. Carrying the same retail price ($499), Oppo's BDP-93 has upped the bar by adding new networking/streaming features, increased performance and improved build quality.

The Oppo BDP-93 will do virtually everything the BDP-83 BD player did, plus have some major feature upgrades as listed below:

* Blu-ray 3D support
* Netflix streaming support
* CinemaNow support
* Additional network streaming features will be announced once partners certify the player. Oppo has divulged several of their potential partners to us and users should not be disappointed.
* Wireless-N networking
* Dual HDMI outputs. The two HDMI ports can be configured to support separate video and audio paths, or to support two displays at the same time.
* Marvell KYOTO G2 chipset with Qdeo video processig(though prototypes were also built with the ABT2015)
* eSATA port in addition to two USB ports

The new player is beautiful, with a brushed aluminum face plate and flush buttons. The tray even retracts so tightly into the front that it is virtually hidden when closed (note photos below). The connections on the back should look familiar, though Oppo has added a second HDMI that works off the circuitry powering the component video output - and it functions much in the same way, when it's not being used as a dedicated audio output or mirrored HDMI out. This is an attractive player.
Old 11-21-10, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My local Walmart currently has the LG BD530 for $65. This is an entry level player that handles a number of kinds of video formats. It will stream You Tube, AccuWeather and Picasa when hooked up to the internet (via the ethernet port, no internal WiFi). However, it does not stream Amazon or Netflix; there are other players for a bit more money that can do that.

For more information on the player:
http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/...ayer-BD530.jsp
Old 12-27-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 414 Likes on 359 Posts

I got one of those $65 LG's for Christmas. I'm going to take it back. I want netflix, but more so, I'd like to get one with analog audio out, if not to much.

I can work around no wireless I'm sure. But I have no plans on upgrading my very good sounding receivers. So I'd like to get a BD Player that has the analog outs to go ahead and get lossless. I'm not a huge lossless fan (oh I think a nice upgrade, but there are other things to get better overall sound), but if I have a chance to get it with the BD player, might well try. If not to much more.
Old 12-28-10, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^There are several models with analog outputs and some of them are considerably cheaper than what I paid for my Panasonic BD80 last year. The Panasonic BD85 not only has 7.1 analog out, it is WiFi capable and comes with the needed WiFi dongle. Samsung and Toshiba also make BD players with analog out. Sony no longer does, so far as I am aware.

If you've got the bucks, the Oppo BDP-93 ($500) would be hard to beat.

It remains to be seen whether or not analog outs start to disappear on the new models that will be announced next month at the Consumer Electronics Show. You might want to snag one now.
Old 12-28-10, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lizard
^There are several models with analog outputs and some of them are considerably cheaper than what I paid for my Panasonic BD80 last year. The Panasonic BD85 not only has 7.1 analog out, it is WiFi capable and comes with the needed WiFi dongle. Samsung and Toshiba also make BD players with analog out. Sony no longer does, so far as I am aware.

If you've got the bucks, the Oppo BDP-93 ($500) would be hard to beat.

It remains to be seen whether or not analog outs start to disappear on the new models that will be announced next month at the Consumer Electronics Show. You might want to snag one now.
You know of a list of players with analog outputs? I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to figure out which models do. Few models even boast of it in their descriptions.

Oh there is no doubt Analog outs are on the way out. Few people understand the benefit. And sales people would rather tell you that you need a new receiver with HDMI to get lossless.

Just the other day I was looking at Best Buy and got tired of trying to read on the boxes if they had analog outs. So I just started feeling the back of each player. A guy asked what I was doing and I told him. He literally said "oh, you no longer need those, HDMI will take care of it all". When I told him I didn't have a receiver with HDMI he sort of chuckled and said "well, you really need a new receiver or no point in getting a new player". So I said..."you sold me. I won't get a player. Thank you, I won't get a receiver or player" and left...lol

No, the Oppo is not in my budget. Well it could be, but I'm looking at perhaps a new projector in the spring. That and possibly a new sub...so I'd like to keep the BD player in the $150 range if I can...
Old 12-28-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Analog multichannel outs were probably always intended to be a temporary feature, just as they were on DVD players.
Old 12-28-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Drexl
Analog multichannel outs were probably always intended to be a temporary feature, just as they were on DVD players.
Well sure. Because with analog you wouldn't need a new receiver. So they have to drop it, to push people to get a new receiver.

Well ok, there is a few $$ savings by not having the decoding going on in the player itself. But when you can pickup one of the top players with it for $150, it is obviously not a huge expense.

And in fairness it is a lot easier to sell when the new fangled HMDI connection.
Old 12-29-10, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
You know of a list of players with analog outputs? I'm finding it exceedingly difficult to figure out which models do. Few models even boast of it in their descriptions.

Oh there is no doubt Analog outs are on the way out. Few people understand the benefit. And sales people would rather tell you that you need a new receiver with HDMI to get lossless.

Just the other day I was looking at Best Buy and got tired of trying to read on the boxes if they had analog outs. So I just started feeling the back of each player. A guy asked what I was doing and I told him. He literally said "oh, you no longer need those, HDMI will take care of it all". When I told him I didn't have a receiver with HDMI he sort of chuckled and said "well, you really need a new receiver or no point in getting a new player". So I said..."you sold me. I won't get a player. Thank you, I won't get a receiver or player" and left...lol

No, the Oppo is not in my budget. Well it could be, but I'm looking at perhaps a new projector in the spring. That and possibly a new sub...so I'd like to keep the BD player in the $150 range if I can...
Other than my own list in the first post of this thread I am not aware of any listing of players with analog outs. But I really haven't looked for one, I assembled the data bit by bit over time.

Originally Posted by Drexl
Exactly right. That's why I was pleased to see the Oppo players. They are likely to keep the feature even after it has disappeared from mass market manufacturers' players.

I'm happy with my Panny BD80. It has pretty good individual speaker controls with the analog outs, which is essential to make them work properly (unless one has a completely balanced room and surround system). But it doesn't have adjustable crossover. I presume that the Oppo does, but haven't checked.
Old 12-29-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yea, I found that list after posting. And after reading reviews is looks like the Panny 85 and Oppo are the only one's to get. And factoring in budget, looks like the Panny is the only one to get.

Not a bad thing. Great player (least everything I have read and heard) and will careful shopping should be able to get for $150.

I could have sworn I saw a model at Wally World with Analog outs. Will have to check again.
Old 01-02-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

any 5-disc multi Blu changer players out there yet?
Old 01-02-11, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Disc-Flipper
any 5-disc multi Blu changer players out there yet?
I don't think you can get any multi disc DVD players. Toshiba had some a few years ago but I haven't seen any in ages
Old 01-03-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only sort of multi-disc player I am aware of is this:
Sony BDP-CX960 400-Disc Blu-Ray Disc Changer $585

There aren't any five disc carousel BD players on the market at present, so far as I am aware (and I looked). Whether that will change in the near future, I couldn't say.
Old 01-27-11, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone own the Panasonic DMP-BD85? Mine just arrived from Amazon today. Won't be able to look at it until tonight, but it'll now be my main player, with my trusty Sony moving to the bedroom. I've had Panny players in the past and they've been great, so I expect the same with this unit.
Old 01-28-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't have the BD85, but do have their BDT-300 as my main player and I love it. I just want to know what the hell Panny's aversion to putting a damn subtitle button on the remote is. I bought their first BD player back in the day and that didn't have it either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.